Women's Southern Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Southern Classic

SWINDON teenager Jodie Symes will be taking on the world’s best women snooker players on her home tables on Saturday.

The 16-year-old will line up with the likes of world number one Reanne Evans in the Southern Classic, the fourth leg of the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association tour, at Jesters Snooker Hall.

Six-time world champion Evans, 25, is on a record run of 76 winning matches on the WLBSA circuit. Her last defeat was on March 1, 2008. And she has won the last 18 tournaments that she has entered.

Symes, the world number 17, will be joined by two other Wiltshire players: Gaye Jones (Melksham) and Victoria Gibbs (Trowbridge).

Also in a high-quality 16-strong field are world number two Maria Catalano, who is Ronnie O’Sullivan’s cousin, and Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney, ranked third.

The action starts at 10am.

The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

Southern Classic
    Saturday, February 12, 2011
    Jesters Snooker Hall
    Greenbridge Road
    Swindon
    Wiltshire
    SN3 3JD
    Tel: 01793 420660

SOUTHERN CLASSIC ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
    Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
    Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)
    Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)
    Hannah Jones (Derby)
    Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)
    Vicky Carter (Hemel Hempstead)
    Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)
    Tina Owen-Sevilton (Taunton)
    Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)
    Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford)
    Martina Lumsden (Eastbourne)
    Jodie Symes (Swindon)
    Naomi Clare (Ripley, Derbys)
    Jasmine Bolsover (Woking)
    Victoria Gibbs (Trowbridge)

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press officer)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Is anybody coming down to Jesters for the day? members from the club and Cuestars will be in attendance through out the day to show their support, I will also be there along with fellow journalists from our local rag in Swindon.

Some kind of live scoring will be available on TSF through out the day along with pictures and a few interviews, there is also the possibility of a live stream from one of the tables.

Comment

I am hoping to stream the event. Using a standard Panasonic camera and a different laptop to the one I normally use.

I will stream it though UStream.

If the stream is offline it should play old footage of the UK champs and Masters with it starting on a match in a final between Reanne and Maria. If the stream is active you will notice as there will be a banner indicating that it is the Ladies Southern Classic at Jesters.

Due to unknown bandwidth resource there won't be sound and depending on how much work I have to do there may be no scores but I hope to score some of the matches. The image may be low def but I will tweak it so see how high a resolution I can get out of it. Positive feedback will be welcome here or in the chat window.

I am having trouble with Microsoft taking over the camera!!!!! So please bear with me tomorrow if you are taking a peek.

The link is:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ladies-uk ... nship-2009

This link name is wrong clearly but works for the Southern Classic and will be changed for the World Champs.

If I cannot get it working I will let you all know on here.
      You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

Comment

Mark I'll be down the club for 9am to help you get setup, if I am not there by 9:30 then I am still in bed

Once I get to the club in the morning and know the draw I will put the draw into the TSF bracket system and update it after every match.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
          Mark I'll be down the club for 9am to help you get setup, if I am not there by 9:30 then I am still in bed

Once I get to the club in the morning and know the draw I will put the draw into the TSF bracket system and update it after every match.
          Cool, with having to get 2 girls and the missus in the car tomorrow I reckon I will be in the club around 9:30 so have a lie in...

See ya in the morning.

Comment

Brackets are up - http://www.thesnookerforum.com/Tourn...n-classic-2011

Comment

Stream is up 1-0 to Reanne against Jodie Symes

Comment

Originally Posted by wyt147 View Post
                I am hoping to stream the event. Using a standard Panasonic camera and a different laptop to the one I normally use.

I will stream it though UStream.

If the stream is offline it should play old footage of the UK champs and Masters with it starting on a match in a final between Reanne and Maria. If the stream is active you will notice as there will be a banner indicating that it is the Ladies Southern Classic at Jesters.

Due to unknown bandwidth resource there won't be sound and depending on how much work I have to do there may be no scores but I hope to score some of the matches. The image may be low def but I will tweak it so see how high a resolution I can get out of it. Positive feedback will be welcome here or in the chat window.

I am having trouble with Microsoft taking over the camera!!!!! So please bear with me tomorrow if you are taking a peek.

The link is:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ladies-uk ... nship-2009

This link name is wrong clearly but works for the Southern Classic and will be changed for the World Champs.

If I cannot get it working I will let you all know on here.
                the link above doesn't work - I think it should be ...
                http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ladies...mpionship-2009

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                  Yes that is the correct link.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    Sorry you are right. Copy and paste fail....

Comment

REANNE Evans, desperate for a first win on World Snooker’s Main Tour, just can’t lose on the women’s circuit.

The six-time women’s world champion extended her record-breaking unbeaten run to 80 matches with victory in the Southern Classic at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

Evans, who did not drop a frame in all four rounds, defeated Maria Catalano 3-0 in the final to claim her 27th ranking title on the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association circuit.

In a bizarre final frame, Evans gained 52 points while just three balls were potted.

The 25-year-old said: “In the first frame, Maria went 30-something up and I came back with a 59. It went close but I took a good final blue and pink to win.

“The second one I won easy but then in the third I was 27 down with 27 on and ended up 25 in front with the blue on. I played some good snookers.”

Evans, from Dudley, West Midlands, is praying for just one win in her first year on the professional circuit.

“I can’t win a close frame at the minute,” she explained. “Hopefully it’ll come in the next two events (the China Open and the World Championship).

“As long as I win one I’ll be happy – no matter where it is.”

Jesters was the venue of Evans’ first World Championship appearance in 2002, when she reached the semi-finals at the age of 16.

Jodie Symes is now 16. The world number 17 took advantage of home tables to take the junior title after her final opponent Hannah Jones, 14, from Derby, went in off the black in the third and deciding frame.

Earlier, Symes recorded a fine 3-2 win in the last-16 of the main competition against world number 12 Tina Owen-Sevilton (Taunton) before going out 3-0 in the quarter-finals to world number one Evans.

Owen-Sevilton defeated Jones 2-0 in the Plate final and Jenny Poulter (Maidstone) overcame Chris Sharpe (Chelmsford) 2-1 to claim the Seniors title.

The WLBSA is hosting six ranking events this season culminating in the World Championships in April.

RESULTS (BREAKS)

LAST-16: Reanne Evans (41) beat Naomi Clare 3-0, Jodie Symes beat Tina Owen-Sevilton 3-2, Gaye Jones beat Victoria Gibbs 3-0, Eva Palmius beat Martina Lumsden 3-1, Emma Bonney beat Jenny Poulter 3-0, Natascha Niermann beat Jasmine Bolsover 3-1, Chris Sharpe beat Vicky Carter 3-2, Maria Catalano beat Hannah Jones 3-0.

QUARTER-FINALS: Evans (45) beat Symes 3-0, Palmius (32) beat G Jones 3-1, Bonney (31, 59) beat Niermann 3-1, Catalano (58, 35) beat Sharpe 3-0.

SEMI-FINALS (£25): Evans (40, 52, 44) beat Palmius 3-0, Catalano (46, 32, 32, 33) beat Bonney 3-1.

FINAL (£150/£90): Evans (59, 36) beat Catalano 3-0.

PLATE

QUARTER-FINALS: Hannah Jones beat Naomi Clare 2-0, Jenny Poulter beat Victoria Gibbs 2-0, Tina Owen-Sevilton beat Jasmine Bolsover 2-0, Vicky Carter beat Martina Lumsden 2-1.

SEMI-FINALS: Jones beat Poulter (41) 2-1, Owen-Sevilton beat Carter 2-1.

FINAL (£20/£10): Owen-Sevilton beat Jones 2-0.

SENIORS

SEMI-FINALS: Jenny Poulter beat Gaye Jones 2-0, Chris Sharpe beat Martina Lumsden 2-1.

FINAL: Poulter beat Sharpe 2-1.

JUNIORS

SEMI-FINALS: Hannah Jones beat Naomi Clare 2-0, Jodie Symes beat Jasmine Bolsover 2-1.

FINAL: Symes beat Jones 2-1.

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press officer)
                      http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X