Reanne Evans: I want my number one spot back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reanne Evans: I want my number one spot back

TWO women snooker players from Wiltshire will join an international field for the Connie Gough National Championships in Swindon on Saturday.

Jesters Snooker Hall plays host for the fifth leg of the World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association tour. The action starts at 10am.

Swindon’s Jodie Symes, 17, will be hoping to take advantage of home tables while Gaye Jones will make the short trip from her home in Melksham.

Hong Kong quartet Ng On Yee, Jaique Ip Wan In, So Man Yan and Yu Ching Ching are also in the 22-strong line-up.

But all eyes will be on seven-time world champion Reanne Evans, who returns to the circuit after being laid low with pleurisy.

The 26-year-old from Dudley, West Midlands, has lost her number one spot to Maria Catalano, winner of two ranking events this season.

Evans said: “I want to be back at number one and back winning comps. (But) I’ve only been back playing this week after two months off so I don’t know how I will play.

And she added: “I’m looking forward to playing again after having so long off.”

Evans has claimed the Connie Gough title for the last three years. Catalano claimed the three previous to that.

Portsmouth’s Emma Bonney will be bidding for back-to-back victories after lifting the Southern Classic trophy in Fareham last month.

The two youngest entrants are 12-year-old Jasmine Bolsover, from Woking, and 15-year-old England international Hannah Jones, from Derby.

An action-packed day includes a Plate competition, a Shield and a Seniors event.

Connie Gough National Championship
    Saturday, February 25, 2012
    Jesters Snooker Hall
    Greenbridge Road
    Swindon
    SN3 3JD
    Tel: 01793 420660

2012 CONNIE GOUGH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES

Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
    Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
    Emma Bonney (Portsmouth)
    Jenny Poulter (Maidstone)
    Tina Owen-Sevilton (Bridgewater, Somerset)
    Suzie Opacic (Brambridge, Hampshire)
    Katie Henrick (Bickley, Kent)
    Gaye Jones (Melksham, Wilts)
    Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)
    Martina Lumsden (Eastbourne)
    Natascha Niermann (Cambridge)
    Jan Hughes (St Neots, Cambs)
    Vicky Carter (Stevenage)
    Jodie Symes (Swindon)
    Ng On Yee (Hong Kong)
    Jaique Ip Wan In (Hong Kong)
    So Man Yan (Hong Kong)