Reanne cruises to Connie Gough title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reanne cruises to Connie Gough title

REANNE Evans laid down a marker ahead of the women’s world snooker championships later this month by claiming her third ranking title of the season.

A 4-0 victory over defending champion Maria Catalano landed the 28-year-old the 2014 Connie Gough Memorial at Dunstable Snooker Club.

The West Midlands wonder woman, who is bidding for a tenth successive world title, admitted: “I didn’t give her many chances.”

Breaks of 31, 64 and the day’s highest of 87 ended world number one Catalano’s hopes of lifting the trophy for the third year running.

Earlier, Evans edged Hong Kong star Ng On Yee in a fifth-frame decider in the semi-finals.

While acknowledging that Ng is a contender for the world crown, Evans insisted she is not focusing on her rivals but on improving her own game even more.

“(On Yee) is definitely one of those up there with Maria but I just concentrate on myself,” she said.

“You can’t rely on others to play bad or well; you have to think of your own game.

“Snooker’s a weird game. It’s different every day. Hopefully, I can take my form into the World Championship. And step it up a gear, as well.”

Catalano was forced to battle back from 2-1 down to see off 17-year-old Hannah Jones 3-2 in the second semi.

Derby teenager Jones, who had also beaten former IBSF world championship finalist Jaique Ip Wan In 3-2 in the last-eight and World Ladies Billiards & Snooker Association (WLBSA) debutante Diana Tracevic, 14, 2-0 in the Under-21 final, was declared Player of the Tournament and awarded £50.

Laura Evans took the Plate trophy home to South Wales and Eva Palmius, from Isleham, Cambs, claimed the Seniors (40+) title.

A WLBSA spokeswoman thanked club-owner Suny Bhambra and his staff for their hospitality and Julie Hemingway for sponsoring the event. Officials hope that newcomers Tracevic, Emily Watson and Anna Prisjaznuka will become regulars on the circuit.

RESULTS (BREAKS)

LAST-16: Yu Ching Ching (45) beat Eva Palmius 3-0, Hannah Jones (35) beat Vicky Carter 3-0, Jaique Ip Wan In beat Tatjana Vasiljeva (42) 3-2, Reanne Evans (42, 76, 46) beat Diana Tracevic 3-0, Anna Prisjaznuka beat So Man Yan 3-0, Laura Evans beat Sharon Kaur 3-1, Ng On Yee (71) beat Emily Watson 3-0.

QUARTER-FINALS: Maria Catalano beat Yu 3-1, Jones (41, 32) beat Ip Wan In (30) 3-2, R Evans beat Prisjaznuka 3-0, Ng beat L Evans 3-1.

SEMI-FINALS (£50): Catalano beat Jones 3-2, R Evans (35, 43) beat Ng 3-2.

FINAL (£200/£100): R Evans (31, 64, 87) beat Catalano 4-0.

PLATE

PRELIMS: Emily Watson beat Diana Tracevic 2-0, So Man Yan beat Eva Palmius 2-0, Vicky Carter beat Sharon Kaur 2-1.

QUARTER-FINALS: Yu Ching Ching beat Watson 2-0, So w/o Jaique Ip Wan In, Tatjana Vasiljeva (30) beat Anna Prisjaznuka 2-0, Laura Evans (49) beat Vicky Carter 2-0.

SEMI-FINALS: So beat Yu 2-1, Evans beat Vasiljeva 2-1.

FINAL (£25/£15): Evans beat So 2-0.

UNDER-21

FINAL: Hannah Jones beat Diana Tracevic 2-0.

SENIORS

FINAL: Eva Palmius beat Sharon Kaur 2-1.

ENTRIES

Maria Catalano (Dudley, West Mids)
    Reanne Evans (Dudley, West Mids)
    Ng On Yee (Hong Kong)
    Jaique Ip Wan In (Hong Kong)
    Yu Ching Ching (Hong Kong)
    So Man Yan (Hong Kong)
    Tatjana Vasiljeva (Latvia)
    Anna Prisjaznuka (Latvia)
    Vicky Carter (Sandy, Beds)
    Hannah Jones (Derby)
    Laura Evans (Neath Port Talbot)
    Diana Tracevic (Lithuania)
    Sharon Kaur (Birmingham)
    Eva Palmius (Isleham, Cambs)
    Emily Watson (Wolverhampton)

Tim Dunkley (WLBSA press officer and World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Thanks for the update. I hope the Women's tournaments can become
    more popular as their level of play progresses.

Comment

Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
      Thanks for the update. I hope the Women's tournaments can become
      more popular as their level of play progresses.
      At least Belgium, India and Thailand players will attend the professional tournaments

Comment

Working...
      X