Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!
    Agree - Phil Yates is the worst by a huge margin, knows nothing about the game and his analogies are just useless comments, the rest of the others are pretty good, I get a laugh out of Willie Thorne who coaches everyone and has advise for everyone on how they should be playing their shots, sounds like Willie is a former 12 times world champion when in fact he has won nothing and that includes his betting at the races. Clive Everton sounds old and tired but at least he knows what he is talking about.

Comment

willie is briliant and one of my favourite commentators. i like it when he criticises the players. i accept he didn't win much but he acknowledges this sometimes so he's able to laugh at himself.

i like terry griffiths in small doses with his dry wit. i sometimes feel both willie and dennis are slightly wary of him, they don't know if he's going to rip into them!

JV is one of the best for excitement and as is consensus hendry has tremendous authority when he commentates.

JP and davis are slightly annoying in the commentators box but are pretty good in the studio.

I can't stand Clive's habit of stating the obvious and with perfect hindsight.

The worst by far is on eurosport is the one that sounds like an upbeat regional dj. terrible
      Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

Worst by a long margin is Rolf Kalb on german Eurosport. Should get a lifetime achievement award for resisting to learn how to do proper commentary. Virgo is pretty annoying, as is Yates. Taylor and Thorne just seem to babble all the time. Mike and Mike also do this but not that annoying in my opinion.
        I do like McManus and Hendry, and Hendon does a proper job as well. Only heard Everton once on a streamed qualifier match, wasn't too impressed, though.

Comment

I find Joe Johnson on Eurosport quite irritating, as he seems to predict the wrong shot selection for players and it makes you wonder how he ever won the world championships or even be a professional snooker player.
          John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Comment

John Virgo has some silly quotes, such as "the dreaded mobile phone" when a phone rings in the arena. Its like he's never been out and Lives in a parallel universe.

Another quote is" he's elected to take the yellow. did he put it to a vote and the yellow got elected?

Comment

John Virgo has some silly quotes, such as "the dreaded mobile phone" when a phone rings in the arena. Its like he's never been out and Lives in a parallel universe.

Another quote is" he's elected to take the yellow. did he put it to a vote and the yellow got elected?

Comment

Phil Yates without doubt is the worst commentator with the most annoying voice and Australian/Californian way of speaking.

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                  Phil Yates without doubt is the worst commentator with the most annoying voice and Australian/Californian way of speaking.
                  Agreed, how anybody in tv thought he has a good commentators voice is beyond me

Donít like Dennis either, doesnít offer anything insightful imo

Comment

Originally Posted by zimrahil View Post
                    Agreed, how anybody in tv thought he has a good commentators voice is beyond me

Don’t like Dennis either, doesn’t offer anything insightful imo
                    He can tell us all about Selby's Missus and talk about Michaela for days on end...along with his "famous world final". Besides that he's not got much to gibber about.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                      He can tell us all about Selby's Missus and talk about Michaela for days on end...along with his "famous world final". Besides that he's not got much to gibber about.
                      "Great crowd all week", "the beautiful trophy", a story about 'Big Bill Warbaneck' (however you spell that). There's quite a few more that have escaped me as well. He always comes across as a really nice guy, so it's a shame.

Comment

I think with the BBC commentators, some work better in different pairings. Dennis is usually worse when he's with JV, but can provide a few laughs. I used to like it when Terry Griffiths and Dennis were together as they would be a bit more serious, but that's going back a few years. I know some people don't rate Clive Everton, but he was always a good partner on the BBC even if he was quite dry himself. And, he fell off his chair more than once, which for me made him worth his slice of the license fee. Also his knowledge is incredible, it is a shame he doesn't pull from this knowledge as much as he used to, but maybe he's not as sharp since the BBC gave him the elbow.

Comment

For me, I feel most at home (snooker wise) when a number of factors come together. Those are: The BBC, Hazel Irving, SD and JP in the pundits chair, and DT & JV commentating (not necessarily together - so long as they're both present). And Rob Walker as MC.

Other bonuses are/would be Alan McManus and Neil Foulds commentating. It also helps things feel complete when SH and KD are on the scene too.
                          Last edited by Billy; 27th March 2019, 02:00 AM.
                          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by CueInAction View Post
                            Totally agree with you on that, really grates me the way he ends every sentance on a high note!!

Purely on the fact that he is the most negative, miserable git, Willie Thorne has to be the most irritating though...he seems to know better than anyone!! It would be more justifiable if he had a hugely successful career, yet his only claim to fame is being 'the best' break builder in "practice"...a claim which is completely unverifiable
                            I vaguely remember a TV studio discussion featuring Thorne & Hendry. Thorne was asked about his Mr Maximum nickname & how many he'd made in practice.Thorne said it was 189.The interviewer then asked Hendry the same question."I don't know",he replied."You don't know how many maximums you've made?" he was asked. "No" he replied, "I stopped counting when I got to 300".

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                              BEST
                              Clive Everton
                              Terry Griffiths
                              Neal Foulds
                              Stephen Hendry
                              John Parrott
                              Steve Davis

WORST
                              Mike Smith
                              Mike Hallett
                              Joe Johnson
                              Willie Thorne
                              John Virgo
                              Dennis Taylor

From yesteryear,

Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.
                              Agree with you except for the inclusion of Davis in the 'Best' group. IMHO he's awful.

Comment

One thing that really grates about commentators (and this one applies to Taylor quite a bit) something vaguely funny happens and they totally overblow it like it's the funniest thing since comedy began. That really gets irritating, "oh he dropped his extension, pass the needle and thread so i can stitch up my sides".

Comment

Working...
                                X