Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which commentator do you find the most servile or fawning?

Reason I ask is its one of my pet hates.
    I say Taylor and Doherty are the worst as I hardly remember when they've ever criticised anything,I remember Doherty criticising Ebdon's 5 minute break of 12 way back in 2005 lol.
    Disagree or divulge,shoot...

Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!

Comment

Virgo irritates me the most and I find the most accurate commentator is Hendry. Willie bothers me a bit as he is so biased for the Leicestershire players. Mark Selby can do no wrong in his eyes.

I also find Hendry is quite honest when a player screws up

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
        sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).

Oh, and don't forget , ask Dennis nicely, and he'll tell you what every snooker player's pet hate is ( again ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
          I like allan McManus as well. I think it's mainly the guys who've been commentating for years who now
          sound repetitive, wheras the new(er) guys seem to bring a better understanding of the current players mindset ( for me anyway ).
          Yes thats another thing,outside of Ray Edmonds in the early 00's and the obvious inclusion of Hendry I think its been the same bunch ever since,Mark Johnstone Allen would be a good addition for one.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            Phil Yates on Eurosport. Nothing wrong with his style, what he says or his critique/analysis... His voice just irritates the living fcuk out of me!
            Totally agree with you on that, really grates me the way he ends every sentance on a high note!!

Purely on the fact that he is the most negative, miserable git, Willie Thorne has to be the most irritating though...he seems to know better than anyone!! It would be more justifiable if he had a hugely successful career, yet his only claim to fame is being 'the best' break builder in "practice"...a claim which is completely unverifiable

Comment

BEST
              Clive Everton
              Terry Griffiths
              Neal Foulds
              Stephen Hendry
              John Parrott
              Steve Davis

WORST
              Mike Smith
              Mike Hallett
              Joe Johnson
              Willie Thorne
              John Virgo
              Dennis Taylor

From yesteryear,

Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                BEST
                Always enjoyed John Pulman (THE GREATEST), Rex Williams, Jack Karnehm, Jim Meadowcroft, John Spencer, Eddie Charlton and Ray Edmonds. Mark Wildman was pretty good on ITV as well. Dear old Ted Lowe had a lovely voice but did talk a lot of nonsense.
                Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                  Do you have any info as to why the BBC didn't hire John Pulman? I agree it's hard to fathom why they didn't hire Pulman over Lowe as he had it all and was a better player than Lowe too,thanks.
                  Pulman worked for the BBC between 1979 and 81 then moved to ITV, as did Dennis Taylor and later, Jim Meadowcroft and Rex Williams. Maybe they offered more money? Certainly the BBC had it's established commentary team in Lowe, Everton, Karnehm and Spencer. ITV televised at least 4 events each season then.

Ted Lowe had been the only snooker commentator for the BBC since the early 1950's until 1977. He was first given the job as a replacement for the regular broadcaster Raymond Glendening, who had lost his voice. Lowe was at the time General Manager of Leicester Square Hall in London, which was the mecca of snooker.
                  Last edited by Cyril; 30th April 2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks,I remember Mark Wildman doing a Dr Martens Premier League match between Steve Davis and John Higgins around 96,seemed to be a bit biased towards Davis but still a good commentator though as was Rex Williams.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                      Thanks,I remember Mark Wildman doing a Dr Martens Premier League match between Steve Davis and John Higgins around 96,seemed to be a bit biased towards Davis but still a good commentator though as was Rex Williams.
                      Did you know Mark Wildman was the first man to make a televised century break? It was actually before Joe Davis made his in 1962 but unfortunately Mark's wasn't recorded on tape. He lives abroad now. Spain or Portugal, I think.
                      Last edited by Cyril; 30th April 2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                        Did you know Mark Wildman was the first man to make a televised century break? It was actually before Joe Davis made his in 1962 but unfortunately Mark's wasn't recorded on tape. He lives abroad now. Spain or Portugal, I think.
                        No but totally ot who wouldn't give a nice toasted teacake for the Beeb to rerun that show with Chris Serle in his hopeless attempt at vaguely looking like a decent player in the early 80's with Terry Griffiths etc ha ha ha.

Comment

Well for me there are 2 great commentators, Neal Foulds and Stephen Hendry. My least fav is John Parrot, though he is great at the studio bits and interviewing etc. Courtesy mention for Virgo who is great and terrible depending on who he is sat next to.
                          "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

IMHO the commentator I find irritating is John Virgo. I'm from Lancashire I hate my accent he's accent is a mix between Salford and Surrey, he just drones on.

I like all the others, I've just become a convert to Eurosport and I love listening to Joe Johnson and Phil Yates.

Comment

Hendry is very good. I like Joe Johnson and Terry Griffiths too.

Comment

Working...
                              X