Released Soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Released Soon!

Play89 are releasing their Snooker software soon, so what do you think about online snooker games in general? are the physics right or are they so unrealistic that its not even worth playing them?

Also is there anything you think a snooker game should have that current ones so not??

I always remember the Snooker Balls on Jimmy Whites Snooker pulling faces at you if you took too long over a shot

Play89.com Snooker is released today.

Go check it out and tell me what you think. The owners will be watching this section to see what your views are on both the pool and snooker software so if you have any thought about improvements or adjustments write them down and they will be taken into consideration.

I'll be on later if anybody wants a game.

Comment

For anyone who's having trouble finding this, there's only one play89 program and it incorporates both pool and snooker, even though only pool is mentioned on the website.

As for the game itself (the snooker and pool play pretty much identically)- it's not bad. It clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Yahoo pool and manages to be a reasonably close approximation to it. Unfortunately it just doesn't feel like a close approximation to real pool/snooker, it's a physics issue, the balls just don't behave as you'd expect them to if you're used to a real table and so for me it was quite frustrating. Model the physics on isnooker (more realistic even than the big commercial games out there), and you can't go far wrong.

The most obvious specific issue to me is that the cueball never appears to start rolling. If you strike centre ball the cueball should initially slide along the cloth, then it should begin to roll. If it hits a another ball full on while sliding, it will stun and stop dead, if it hits while rolling the cueball will follow through, a sort of natural topspin. In the play89 game it appears that in any plain ball shot the cueball comes off at 90 degrees to the object ball, i.e. it plays like a stun shot.
      Last edited by Robert602; 4 April 2008, 03:29 PM. Reason: Withdrawn website complaint - my fault!

Comment

What pages are not rendering for you in Firefox Rob?? I use Firefox all the time and have not seen any problems!!

Send me a screen shot if you can.

Comment

Just finished playing it. My opinion - Rubbish. Not even worth downloading.

Comment

Working...
          X