WSC Real ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by brydon10 View Post
    Thanks for that reply! Yeah the way the cushions just completely kill the speed of the cueball on 11 just looks stupid, graphics are great but it looks rubbish apart from that. I've just checked a video of the 2007 version, and I must say I'm impressed, pretty good detail on the looks of the players (considering it's 5/6 years ago). Killer question then, if you had to choose between 07 and 09 which would it be!?

For me it has to be 09 only because I have it for PC and it handles great using a mouse keyboard setup always has in all the PC versions I've played it's the console versions for me is where Blade struggled to get it right because they kept trying different types of controls which don't work instead of just keeping the controls simple or customisable like they had for the 2005 and earlier versions which is strange given the fact that the PS3 and Xbox 360 I think more or less have the same control layout as their predecessors so usaing the same control system should have been easy to do

Comment

What up with the franchise?? i havent bought WSC Real game since 09 version! i been waiting for sometime on wether any news would pop up about a new game! i guess no1 wants the snooker franchise then! i just wonder if Codemasters would ever take it back, but i guess they to busy focusing on racing games :/

Comment

Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
        What up with the franchise?? i havent bought WSC Real game since 09 version! i been waiting for sometime on wether any news would pop up about a new game! i guess no1 wants the snooker franchise then! i just wonder if Codemasters would ever take it back, but i guess they to busy focusing on racing games :/
        The codemasters ones were actually done by blade same as the wsc real ones they were just released and published through Codemasters but right now I guess not

I would think at some point someone will give it another shot but with the economy in the situation it is right now it might not be financially viable given Snooker is not the most popular game on the market I think it's just a matter of being patient as snooker games on the computer have always been around and I'm suer they'll make a comeback it's just a matter of being patient right now and see what happens

Comment

Originally Posted by sjsharp2008 View Post
          I think it's just a matter of being patient as snooker games on the computer have always been around and I'm suer they'll make a comeback it's just a matter of being patient right now and see what happens
          I dream of a really brilliant snooker sim for the console. I don't think there was much wrong with the control system for the 2009 version, but there were too many flaws: Errors with the rules, the AI was terrible, commentary just HAD to be turned off and the player animation was some of the worst I've ever seen anywhere.

Keep the control system as it is (pretty much anyway), get rid of the rule errors, and get a team of programmers who know how to render realistic looking characters and use mo-cap properly.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
            I dream of a really brilliant snooker sim for the console...
            ...get a team of programmers who know how to render realistic looking characters and use mo-cap properly.
            Problem as always is money. Snooker games don't shift in the numbers needed to justify the investment required for state-of-the-art graphics etc. Although I think by now we should have something better, graphically speaking, than the last effort which was quite embarrassing IMO.

I just wish they'd get the basics right for once, so you end up with an accurate and challenging sim, preferably with table spots included!

-
            The fast and the furious,
            The slow and labourious,
            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

I dream of a really brilliant snooker sim for the console. I don't think there was much wrong with the control system for the 2009 version, but there were too many flaws: Errors with the rules, the AI was terrible, commentary just HAD to be turned off and the player animation was some of the worst I've ever seen anywhere.

Keep the control system as it is (pretty much anyway), get rid of the rule errors, and get a team of programmers who know how to render realistic looking characters and use mo-cap properly.
              what I meant was really all that needed changing from 05 onwards were the graphics IMO the controls for the codemasters games and 05 aer considered among the best handling ones and tbh I agree with that but Blade in their wisdom decided in moer wholesale changes when it wasn't really necessary that was the mistake they made and they tried to play catch up and we've seen the results

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                Problem as always is money. Snooker games don't shift in the numbers needed to justify the investment required for state-of-the-art graphics etc. Although I think by now we should have something better, graphically speaking, than the last effort which was quite embarrassing IMO.

I just wish they'd get the basics right for once, so you end up with an accurate and challenging sim, preferably with table spots included! -
                Whilst I do agree with your point I do believe a bigger software house such as either EA or Codemasters probably could do it without losing too much, if any money because they alerady have the sophisticated enough engine in place for other games. Take for example Codemasters who use the same graphics engine right across the board the Ego engine I believe they call it which they use on the Grid, F1 and Dirt series games EA have started to spread their Frostbite Engine right across their games as well as Battlefield and Medal of Honour have used it so has the latest Need for Speed games I've heard that the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect games will be using it too so it could be done but as you said it needs to be financiallly viable and an engine that would work with this type of game but I do think a bigger gaming house could do it. It's just that Blade tried to bite off more than they could chew and the fact that they tried to change moer than what they needed to change is what contributed to their downfall

Comment

[...] the controls for the codemasters games and 05 aer considered among the best handling ones and tbh I agree [...]
                  I'm not sure I do. Agree that is. Yes they were good and very intuitive, but I think the control system when they introduced the 'real' (1st person mode) was better. It was more streamlined. When I play the older version now (or go back to the 'classic' control system in 09) I actually get quite frustrated. The main problem with the old control system (and I'm talking console here) was that once you brought the power bar up, everything else was disabled, meaning you had to make sure everything else was set perfectly before you hit X to bring up the power. With the newer versions, everything is flowing at the same time andyou can play about with the power as much as you like without having to cancel it if something else isn't set right.
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I'm not sure I do. Agree that is. Yes they were good and very intuitive, but I think the control system when they introduced the 'real' (1st person mode) was better. It was more streamlined. When I play the older version now (or go back to the 'classic' control system in 09) I actually get quite frustrated. The main problem with the old control system (and I'm talking console here) was that once you brought the power bar up, everything else was disabled, meaning you had to make sure everything else was set perfectly before you hit X to bring up the power. With the newer versions, everything is flowing at the same time andyou can play about with the power as much as you like without having to cancel it if something else isn't set right.
                    Whilst I agree it does look better from a graphics standpoint from a handling point of view and being disabled I find it a bit of a nightmare frankly given to do some things you have to use the L1 /R1 type buttons and things and I've always found that difficult I prefer using the face buttons and D-pad and sometimes on the game you have to use several buttons at the same time to get the shot set up right for me being disabled that is not easy the old system like the one on 05 was easy to handle as all you hadto do with regards spin for example was hold the circle button and gently nudge the D-pad till you had it in place yes you needed to check you had things set right befoer you hit your shot but I think most people check things are set right anyway certainly I did and still do when playing that game as I still have it.

Comment

Whilst I agree it does look better from a graphics standpoint from a handling point of view and being disabled I find it a bit of a nightmare frankly given to do some things you have to use the L1 /R1 type buttons and things and I've always found that difficult I prefer using the face buttons and D-pad and sometimes on the game you have to use several buttons at the same time to get the shot set up right for me being disabled that is not easy the old system like the one on 05 was easy to handle as all you hadto do with regards spin for example was hold the circle button and gently nudge the D-pad till you had it in place yes you needed to check you had things set right befoer you hit your shot but I think most people check things are set right anyway certainly I did and still do when playing that game as I still have it.
                      Well that does put a different light on things, but then I didn't know you were disabled. As I say, though, I just find the 'real' control system far more streamlined.

Comment

what I meant was really all that needed changing from 05 onwards were the graphics IMO the controls for the codemasters games and 05 aer considered among the best handling ones and tbh I agree with that but Blade in their wisdom decided in moer wholesale changes when it wasn't really necessary that was the mistake they made and they tried to play catch up and we've seen the results
                        100% agree - 05's controls were best I have seen - just needed to update graphics, venues, an AI slider for difficulty etc and you would have a great game

Comment

Originally Posted by zimrahil View Post
                          100% agree - 05's controls were best I have seen - just needed to update graphics, venues, an AI slider for difficulty etc and you would have a great game
                          How were they better? I'm not trying to be awkward here, but suffice to say my shot time is about 4 seconds with the Real mode, as opposed to about 10 with with the Classic mode. Nor am I sure about an AI slider for difficulty. Surely the difficulty should be automatic and determined by the ranking of the player. The AI does need addressing, but that's because it's terrible overall - your opponent either misses everything or pots everything. They miss balls and refuse shots that no professional would ever, but at the other end of the scale, they take on and get shots no professional would ever even consider in real life.

Comment

Working...
                          X