No announcement yet.

Robert Osborne Cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it's a gradeing system of the hand made British cues ....what's after Black and so on how many levels are there
    Last edited by Dave_marsy; 25 May 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
      So it's a gradeing system of the hand made British cues ....what's after Black and so on how many levels are there
      no, just some makers

Will Hunt used some coloured badges, then RO did as well, and more so after he worked with WH.
      Exquisite did also after he worked with RO

just some makes, not ALL British makes

Number of levels vary.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
        Quite often red plate is lower grade, green plate middle, and black plate is the top of the range.
        Usually all based on aesthetics of the shaft, which doesn't necessarily mean it will play any better

Comment

Thank you for explaining that

Comment

It's all aesthetic. black plate will have nicer grain pattern than green. green will be nicer than red. if you care not about arrows and grain patterns grab yourself a red plate bargain. indicates nothing about how they hit, they're all made exactly the same way. Robert Osborne's own words (or to that effect)

Comment

If I can make hundred with the cue I don't care what plate it is :snooker:

Comment

The woods used for butt splicing are also less consistent as you go from black to green to red. Red plates will have more streaky ebony or a decorative splice not as nice as a green or black

Comment

Speaking of….I have a Robert Osborne black plate cue from just before which I might be persuaded to let go. It is awesome masterpiece of cue ! It was just before Hunt & Osborne which were basically mostly being made by Robert anyway. I might be tempted into selling it soon but don’t now what platform to use…depends on what interest or offers I might get. 58” 18.5oz 9.5mm tip 3/4 joint at 16” on solid black ebony round butt and straight grain ash. Very Nice 4 chevron strong shaft. Center Balance is 17”. Comes with 18-29” telescopic and 6” ebony mini butt. Also it’s housed in possibly the last cheddar classic genuine leather and suede cue case ever made…
                  1Glover Cue N. American Ash full shaft 18.6oz/58/9.55mm/30.2mm/17.7 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, African Blackwood round butt with Snakewood and Tulip front splice
                  2Custom Triple crown N. American Ash full shaft 18.7oz/58/9.7mm/30.2mm/17 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, Plain jet black African ebony round butt

Comment

They say TSF is dying so few visit it nowadays it makes me wonder is it worth my time writing to tell you of my visit to Roberts place, when i visited it with the thailand guy he buys his cues from?

WITY

Comment

• Originally Posted by Bilston Cues View Post
                      They say TSF is dying so few visit it nowadays it makes me wonder is it worth my time writing to tell you of my visit to Roberts place, when i visited it with the thailand guy he buys his cues from?

WITY
                      I would be interested in hearing about your visit. Did you buy anything?

Comment

WITY
                        The anticipation is too much , please beg what was your visit like ?.
                        Personally I had a great trip there when getting my cue altered.

Comment

WITY
                          Sounds like a sh!t storm waiting to happen Whity, go for it. Been waiting for a Thaigate 1:1 for a long time!
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Actually i got on very well with him but he has not made a cue in over 20 years.
                            like many so called cuemakers he at most just topsplices thai cues unlike his old pal Hunt who merely puts his badge in them.

Comment

• The law in this country says that if you significantly modify an import then you can claim it was made by you.
                              maybe Rolls Royce gave a judge or two a car when they wrote that law who knows.
                              What defines a significant modification though?
                              No way can they get off with merely badging or oiling a cue i say but top splicing i think would sufice.
                              We spent a couple of hours there and at Hunts where we met his co worker at the time Tim Curtis. Will we didn't see much to the dismay of his old Thai friend as he was drying out in rehab.

Tell you what, this is quite a long story
                              i will leave it at that for now and start a thread later my phone battery is dying and the charge lead is knackered.

Comment

• Bilston Cues. Out of interest are you the same guy who called Kevin a Ferret and got banned from TSF? Going back a bit…maybe 2010.
                                Might not be quite correct. Maybe it was something more abusive.
                                Last edited by Nifty50; 7 March 2022, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X