No announcement yet.

Subconcious potting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after moaning about not being able to concentrate I managed to do so in my 2 frames last night winning both of them. Both frames were scrappy with black and pink tied up in each. Think it helped that I really dislike the bloke I was playing lol
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

All of these distractions, people walking by, conversations in the background...etc.
      I used to think that you need to concentrate very hard in order to block these out. However, trying to concentrate hard usually means hard effort, conscious thinking even. Not good.
      Now I have much better success by simply accepting and even expecting these situations. Easier said than done though. So easy to get frustrated when certain individuals that you don't particularly care for start to open their mouths.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
        All of these distractions, people walking by, conversations in the background...etc.
        I used to think that you need to concentrate very hard in order to block these out. However, trying to concentrate hard usually means hard effort, conscious thinking even. Not good.
        Now I have much better success by simply accepting and even expecting these situations. Easier said than done though. So easy to get frustrated when certain individuals that you don't particularly care for start to open their mouths.
        I played a very good snooker last night and my team mate said "great shot Tom", my opponent shouts across to him, "no it wasn't"! That was the moment I knew i'd got him lol

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
          I played a very good snooker last night and my team mate said "great shot Tom", my opponent shouts across to him, "no it wasn't"! That was the moment I knew i'd got him lol
          If an idiot said that to me i'd applaud every shot from then on.

Man up and get on with it. If it's not your frame then be gracious, shake hands and regroup or drop down a level if you can't handle the heat.

I always smile when the opponent gives you a sign they're gonna crack........poor form. We all get frustrated but it's because we're not good enough!!

If someone's that bad a sport and not very nice I normally shake hands, walk over to my team mates and say, "That's the worst I've played all season" loud enough that they can cry a little more!

Can't do it much nowadays as my games not up to it! Many ways to skin a cat though.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            If an idiot said that to me i'd applaud every shot from then on.

Man up and get on with it. If it's not your frame then be gracious, shake hands and regroup or drop down a level if you can't handle the heat.

I always smile when the opponent gives you a sign they're gonna crack........poor form. We all get frustrated but it's because we're not good enough!!

If someone's that bad a sport and not very nice I normally shake hands, walk over to my team mates and say, "That's the worst I've played all season" loud enough that they can cry a little more!

Can't do it much nowadays as my games not up to it! Many ways to skin a cat though.
            I enjoy it more when there's a bit of needle, he also likes to leave his chalk on the side of the table and takes an eternity to pick it up in an attempt to slow you down.
            I played a guy once who kept dropping his cue when I was at the table, maybe half a dozen times in one frame so it had to be done on purpose. People will do anything to get an edge it's sad really!

Comment

I enjoy it more when there's a bit of needle, he also likes to leave his chalk on the side of the table and takes an eternity to pick it up in an attempt to slow you down.
              I played a guy once who kept dropping his cue when I was at the table, maybe half a dozen times in one frame so it had to be done on purpose. People will do anything to get an edge it's sad really!
              I, when possible, prefer the strong / silent type method. No back talk, no remarks... just silence ... firm handshake after kicking butt
              ( Works when you lose too loolls )

Comment

It is all part of schooling. Dropping cue, chalk, fiddling with keys, asking silly questions...etc. We've all had that happen.
                Then there are time wasters, guys who take super long toilet and smoke breaks...etc.
                Somehow cuesport competitions seem to bring the worst out of people. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I put up with it, however...people that do these shot of shark moves are not usually good enough on their own, 19 times out of 20 that's the case. One has to look at the funny side of it.
                And all those comments after losses, the excuses... Love to hear them, time after time again...some people have no self criticism at all in them...I mean none at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  I can't concentrate at all just now, I don't know what the hell is going on, its as if I have to be right on the edge of losing to get my brain to kick into gear. I have been getting away with with it with either decent clearances or a biggish break in a last frame decider (for me)but it's ridiculous the chances I waste or the rubbish I can play in between , it's like I need that pressure to knuckle down and try, I'm going to take a complete pumping soon , might do me the world of good
                  I think what you describe happens to lots of players, I myself start frames terrible, it takes me to the till half the reds are gone to start playing properly , by that time I am usually 20-30 points down. then I start clawing it back and end up in the majority of frames going down to the pink and black to win.
                  I do win my fare share of these, which makes me feel great especially when not minutes early I probably was ready to accept defeat.

I think the reason these comeback happens is as you mentioned, it takes that score line to get me pumped and focussed , so I start playing better and this effects the opponent and make them uncomfortable because you are starting to gain the upper hand.

momentum is very important, I just wish I could start with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    I'm not at that point but who knows! Lol

At 3 times over the last couple of years I've potted two colours on the trot with reds still on where I'm thinking a few shots ahead and totally forgot I'm on a red!
                    you not alone pal, I haven't potted two colours in a row with lots of reds on , however I have forgot there is one last red on after a free ball and potted the yellow.
                    just last week my opponent fouled played a red and left me snookered on the final red, as it was a free ball I took the green which was in baulk to get on the black which was hanging over the middle pocket.

when I stood behind the cue ball the angle was slightly off straight to go up the table, this was ideal to get on the last red which was between pink and black spot, however for some reason I didn't see the red and was thinking how can I get on the Yellow from this Black. I had to pinch some of the pocket to create the angle and as I struck the yellow the marker called foul. I was shocked I thought what have I done I could see a foul then he pointed out the red that was still left on.

what an embarrassing moment, its happed twice to me in the last 3 years. thank god I won those 2 frames .... I am getting old though

Comment

I refereed a game lat year and this guy kept leaving his chalk on the table. It wound the guy up more and more and he kept saying when you are not at the table please could you take your chalk off the rail. He then asked me to have a word with him which I did.

5 minutes later the guy does it again so he picked it up and threw it so hard across the club against the far wall that I don't think it will ever be found.

It was very quiet after that and the guy didn't say a word........Didn't even ask if anyone had any spare chalk which I would have done to break the ice!

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        It is all part of schooling. Dropping cue, chalk, fiddling with keys, asking silly questions...etc. We've all had that happen.
                        Then there are time wasters, guys who take super long toilet and smoke breaks...etc.
                        Somehow cuesport competitions seem to bring the worst out of people. Sometimes it makes me wonder why I put up with it, however...people that do these shot of shark moves are not usually good enough on their own, 19 times out of 20 that's the case. One has to look at the funny side of it.
                        And all those comments after losses, the excuses... Love to hear them, time after time again...some people have no self criticism at all in them...I mean none at all.
                        We've got a couple of league players that suddenly need to go to the toilet if you catch them up and start to take the upper hand.

I've been around the block a few times so I just wait for them to get back to the table and then say,

"Actually that's a good idea, I think I'll just nip to the loo; I then make them wait a little."

Always makes me giggle how stupid they think everyone is!

Comment

Why are folk that desperate, I genuinely don't understand why it means that much to them, to try and play mind games like this, is it a lack of self belief in their own abilities? It has to be a sign of self doubt, otherwise you would just play the game, wouldn't you? I have never seen anything that has been mentioned on here in our league, maybe I just don't notice lol, just turn up, knock the balls around, shake hands, I'm not sure what goes on in between
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Seen lots of it over the years in our local league and the Portsmouth league when I played in that.

I remember being on 55 with the blue, pink and black on and the opposing player started putting the cloth on as they had lost and a riot nearly broke out when one of our players lost it with them!

You've just gotta man up and shake hands. You all wanna win but really; I've seen some sad things outside of snooker so losing isn't that important..............just as long as I win that is.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              Why are folk that desperate, I genuinely don't understand why it means that much to them, to try and play mind games like this, is it a lack of self belief in their own abilities? It has to be a sign of self doubt, otherwise you would just play the game, wouldn't you? I have never seen anything that has been mentioned on here in our league, maybe I just don't notice lol, just turn up, knock the balls around, shake hands, I'm not sure what goes on in between
                              I've never been very competitive, don't get me wrong I don't like losing but for me, it all boils down to how "I" have played. I'm only really interested in my form, if I play well and I don't mean things went well for me, more that I took my chances and made the most of them or even just cued well / felt good, then I'm happy.

I don't understand this type of behaviour either but I guess I've always just accepted there are a lot of people out there with highly competitive natures, which is great for sport and makes it worth televising. I have huge respect for it at the highest level when accompanied with true sportsmanship. That elevates sport to a level people can aspire to! There is a fine line between competitiveness and gamesmanship, dropping cues, leaving chalk as mentioned here is pathetic.

ive always admired Jimmy White, not just for the way he played but the way he handled losing. He didn't like it either when he lost but the world still revolved after and he was gracious to his opponent.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X