Subconcious potting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    I agree - this might be worth trying. Pick the right commentator though - can you imagine having Virgo's "Where's the white ball going!" sounding in your head after each shot?
    Hahaha indeed yes, We say that as a laugh anyway when we are playing
    Also use the phrase - "there's always a gap...... mind the gap"

Comment

I am probably already guilty of doing this commentator in my head on occasion after missing a sitter - Willie Thorn - "well that's incredible - must have been a kick John - a player of his quality does not miss them - definitely had a heavy contact!"

Comment

Originally Posted by kiwisnooker View Post
        Hi all,

Just wanted to get other people's view on this!

I have read on here before about humming a tune while on the shot. I have tried it and found my break building has gone through the roof (30's & 40's consistently), I also do another couple of things like doing multiplication in my head and concentrating on my elbow and the feel of that!

I find this helps me by not making me twitch or give me the yips. Wondered if there is some sort of sub-conscious potting training that can be done or if anyone has heard of or what are your techniques to beat the twitch?

Thanks in advance!
        I think Nick Barrow suggests the humming technique the idea is that as you play your shot you hum at a a certain constant level or drone, it encourages you to push the cue through in a constant flow with no jerks, I have tried this and YES it does work if there is any jerky movement the pitch of the hum will alter. When I was learning to roll my kayak during white water training the instructor gave me a (Mantra) I think he called it to say in my head in order to get the timing of the roll and not rush or panic "Take your time and roll the boat" in a non-rushed rhythmic manner. I think there are other sports that use this technique.

Comment

I was teaching my nipper how to play and said I'll explain every shot prior to striking the cue ball so he can understand what goes through my mind compared to his.

I even talked about exactly what area I intended to place the cue ball in preparation for the next shot.

At 86 I said I'd better concentrate on a cut blue in the middle as If I got position the colours would be easy to clear.

What did I do, I stopped explaining and focused just on the shot and rattled it with great position on the yellow for a clear up.

Did I miss it as I now had the other stuff in my head, because I had stopped playing the shot in my mind prior to the shot or other reasons?

It did make me question what I actually go through in my mind prior to making a shot rather than what I think i'm doing.

As for the golf examples.

I know when I've been coached they say look at the hole and see the shot in your mind and what you need to do, do your required practice swings then walk straight over an imaginary line 3 yards from the ball and just get down and play what you saw in your mind.

I understand Terry Griffiths teaches something similar about imagine you are watching a video of the shot and then go play it.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I have also heard of Rally Drivers and F1 Drivers visualising the course / track in their minds as well prior to racing.

Comment

The internal commenting seems helpfull to decide on the next shot. I also like the humming tip and will try it. But it probable is more for practice than in a match. Saying a word in your mind to generate a flow also seems interesting. I'll try that tonight, am thinking about "swoosh" :-)

Comment

Interesting thread! I usually get into the zone and can't recall what i'm thinking whilst at the table! I must say though when I'm struggling or put under pressure as I was Wednesday this week, when playing a league match against a professional I tend to count my feathers before striking the cue ball to help me concentrate on the crucial moments in a frame.
                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Prior to my broken wrist, when I used to play golf, I used to sing to myself during my swing. Not always the same song, I had to find one that fitted my swing and tempo for that day. Once I'd found it, I would be at certain points of the swing, at certain times in the song. It kept me relaxed and the tempo even, and took my mind off 'other stuff' that could hamper performance. I would perform better once I had found the song for the day.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                    Prior to my broken wrist, when I used to play golf, I used to sing to myself during my swing. Not always the same song, I had to find one that fitted my swing and tempo for that day. Once I'd found it, I would be at certain points of the swing, at certain times in the song. It kept me relaxed and the tempo even, and took my mind off 'other stuff' that could hamper performance. I would perform better once I had found the song for the day.
                    This thread is interesting me. I remember making a ton whilst singing Brown Eyed girl to myself one night not long back - I was a bit tipsy mind can't really remember much about that purple patch but I did keep a nice rhythm to my cueing - might try it again this weekend.

Maybe counting feathers is a good rhythmic way too - consistent cueing is key - how many players chuck in a fast one a snatch now and again or just vary their action too much?

Would not recommend woossh as a key word though - bit fast - straawwwww- pull back pause and - berry - as you push through - right phrase works better to accelerate slow start then faster through - or striiiiike- and pull back - pause and the word - through on the acceleration through,

Counting - humming - reciting a song or maybe a key phrase - end of the day its all about helping you cue to a rhythm - all about developing consistency and clearing your mind helping focus - cant be a bad thing to try out so I think this is something I will be trying out more in practice.

Visualising the shot first of course or hearing a commentator before the shot - helps your planning/position/shot selection sets the shot in your mind first which is important.

Marry these two concepts together and might be onto something here - worth a try at least -
                    Last edited by Byrom; 18 September 2015, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                      Would that not cause problems in match play in that you don't/won't/can't have the music going? I would think that adrenaline is something you want to reduce, not increase.
                      It gives the mind something to do so could help
                      Improving Your Game, From Every Angle: The Snooker Gym

Comment

Humming would be more for ascertaining if you are smooth in your transitions and acceleration - hum in a monotone all the way through the strike and you will hear where you are jerky

Comment

Originally Posted by Stupree View Post
                          What a nice way to get your action flowing. I am very interested to know what you are humming?

I have been told that one successful pro says the word 'Strawberry' in his head to time his follow through as it has a nice flow and gets him to build a gradual acceleration of the cue. I believe he does this until he finds his rhythm and no longer needs to do it unless he feels he needs to recalibrate - "SSSSTTRRRRAAAAWWWWBERRYYYY"
                          Straaawberry is used by this player on the BACKSWING - try it

Comment

Any word spread out in a smooth monotone manner can be a great help in making everything smooth yes (Strawberry) is a good one you can even use the name of your favourite player R*O*N*N*I*E O*S*U*L*L*I*V*A*N M*A*R*K S*E*L*B*Y F*R*E*D F*L*I*N*T*S*T*O*N*E The long monotone BEE HUM is also good. Before you write this off as being the ravings of a nut case TRY IT !!!!!!

Comment

I pot badly when someone beside the table is waiting.
                              It get worst when the room is getting crowded.. Still struggling to ignore them
                              Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

me too, when i catch someone in my eyeline and then they stop waiting for me to play a pot, i will miss the majority

Comment

Working...
                                X