No announcement yet.

How much pressure on Bridge hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know me and Trevor have had our ups and downs but I must say his posts always make sense and come across well, and I think the majority of us are thinking what trevor is saying anyhow.
    Way to many people on here making snooker more complicated then it really is and for me some posters thrive on this.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
      Surely you can see how this sounds here no.???

"Come across as a player".?...What DOES that mean.?
      no why, the the op was saying some nice things that someone whos put his hrs in woul know about
      I reckon this place is full of folks who claim to be excellent players, whereas in reality, they are possibly far less able than their claims might suggest. That's for each and every individual to put forward as they see fit or have a desire to do, but it doesn't mean that all we read here is factual, or even close to being accurate.
      im okay but nothing special
      How do you define "a player".? What is it you need to know in order to establish that.?

Please don't answer that, they are just rhetorical questions and I don't want to get into it any further.

As I said, ring again and we can speak privately. I will answer whatever you ask about me as far as playing goes, but I'm not going to spout off about how good, bad or otherwise I may or may not have been on a bloody forum. To me, that's little more than a dick measuring contest.
      im simply here sharing what iv learnt from the untol thousands of hours on the table (you remember that on the jig right?) an ol legen folk who help me play

Jeez.
      may be like cuemaking, someone whos given so much of their time to the table to master something has a way about them thats more encouraging an sympathetic to a fellow player, an your an exception to that
      Last edited by j6uk; 16 April 2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
        Apologies again if I offended, that wasn't the intention. I was just arguing to the contrary and maybe a little to intensely.
        Don't be afraid to offend Trevor, there are some real pussies on this forum who take everything to heart and cry to the moderators at the drop of a hat.
        Some even get offended on behalf of others who aren't offended at all so just say it like it is.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          why? not for me. our la makes lovely looking cues but hes not coming across as a player
          Having played Trev many moons ago not that he will probably remember and watching him play in a comp in Ferndale i can vouch for his ability on the table . a very fine player indeed who i believe was once praised for the way he played by the welsh legend himself Terry Parsons .

Comment

• yeah, probably not..
            we can only say things how we see it.. but yeah i had a real good chatt with trev the other day on the ambone, and im sure we still feel the same way

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
            Having played Trev many moons ago not that he will probably remember and watching him play in a comp in Ferndale i can vouch for his ability on the table . a very fine player indeed who i believe was once praised for the way he played by the welsh legend himself Terry Parsons .
            Last edited by j6uk; 18 April 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• This is something that has intrigued me in the past. When you watch the pros closely- their grip in action- you can see clearly that they have a pronounced web line between the upper thumb and forefinger. I have seen this with Ron, Mark, Ding- most of them really ... why is it there and how is it achieved is something I need to find out but even this thread has not answered it yet properly.

As for pressing down- its simple- Its achieved through the chin pressure and not the grip hand. The pressure with the grip can never be as much as required at the other end of the cue and the way it bends can only be achieved with ease through the chin... Steve Davis used to practice his chin on cue to an extent that he bruised his chin once and had to stick a bandage on his chin ... so yes the chin on cue does apply some force on cue and some pros do it intentionally to keep the cue locked in line with the shot especially those who use power a lot like Judd... end of story

But please this pronounced web line is what I am after for quite some time now. Why is it there and how is it achieved and is it something that should be taken in to consideration since its similar in many pros. I have noticed this is there on address and even in back swing ... !!! ronnie has it, mark has it, murphy has it, ding has it...
              "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Don't be afraid to offend Trevor, there are some real pussies on this forum who take everything to heart and cry to the moderators at the drop of a hat.
                Some even get offended on behalf of others who aren't offended at all so just say it like it is.
                This is very true and people have been banned because of said crying?
                It's a bloody forum so any opinion should be welcome
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Sidd, what did you mean by a web line between thumb and forefinger? Any picture please?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                    This is something that has intrigued me in the past. When you watch the pros closely- their grip in action- you can see clearly that they have a pronounced web line between the upper thumb and forefinger. I have seen this with Ron, Mark, Ding- most of them really ... why is it there and how is it achieved is something I need to find out but even this thread has not answered it yet properly.
                    As for pressing down- its simple- Its achieved through the chin pressure and not the grip hand. The pressure with the grip can never be as much as required at the other end of the cue and the way it bends can only be achieved with ease through the chin... Steve Davis used to practice his chin on cue to an extent that he bruised his chin once and had to stick a bandage on his chin ... so yes the chin on cue does apply some force on cue and some pros do it intentionally to keep the cue locked in line with the shot especially those who use power a lot like Judd... end of story

But please this pronounced web line is what I am after for quite some time now. Why is it there and how is it achieved and is it something that should be taken in to consideration since its similar in many pros. I have noticed this is there on address and even in back swing ... !!! ronnie has it, mark has it, murphy has it, ding has it...
                    Next time you go to play , u may wanna try this >> when you holding the cue with your grp hand!! Push the thrump (eye of your grp hand) downward. at the same time, push your small finger ( F Finger ) upward!! This way you push the cue downward without raising the button of the cue . you can keep the cue as low as possibel and still put sum downward pressure on the cue !!! at the time of delivery , make your grp loose (but all your fingers remain in touch with the button).. until the cue rich the chest and you close your grip!! IMO,, this is the description of a Firmer grip!! a lot of players doing that already without been aware of it !! btw, i'm not a coach !!!

Comment

• Ramon,

which finger do you mean by small finger? the pinkie? or you mean the middle finger?

Also, can you explain more on how to keep downward and upward pressure, but keep the grip loose at the same time? (at delivery as you said)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                      Next time you go to play , u may wanna try this >> when you holding the cue with your grp hand!! Push the thrump (eye of your grp hand) downward. at the same time, push your small finger ( F Finger ) upward!! This way you push the cue downward without raising the button of the cue . you can keep the cue as low as possibel and still put sum downward pressure on the cue !!! at the time of delivery , make your grp loose (but all your fingers remain in touch with the button).. until the cue rich the chest and you close your grip!! IMO,, this is the description of a Firmer grip!! a lot of players doing that already without been aware of it !! btw, i'm not a coach !!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by thunder66 View Post
                        Ramon,

which finger do you mean by small finger? the pinkie? or you mean the middle finger?

Also, can you explain more on how to keep downward and upward pressure, but keep the grip loose at the same time? (at delivery as you said)

Thanks!
                        Sorry for slow replay. Yes , the pinkie
                        I did'nt say you keep downward pressure and keep the grip loose at the same time.
                        After you have chosen the line of the aim you walk to your position. you gonna setup. you go down, take your stand (sgr stand or Bx stand). you put the cue in the line of the aim. at this moment, the cue lies on your bridge hand and you hold the button with your grp hand. ( your elbow 90 dgrs ). When you gonna start with your backswing is the moment you start put sum downward pressure on the button ( cue). during your backswing : 1- you keep the cue/button as low as possibel ( as height or low as you want and suits ur cue action ). 2- push the eye of your grp hand downward. 3- at the same time push the button with yur finger / pinkie upward without raising the button ( just work with your fingers to put downward pressure on the cue / NOT with your arm or ...). When you finish with your backswing and you gonna deliver the cue is the moment that you have to loose your grip. in other words : during the delivery you loose your grip BUT all your fingers have to remain in touch with the button. until end of the delivery, the cue ( your grp hand ) rich the chest and you close ur grip. IMO,,, this kind of grip works much better in combination with a short backswing. ( BTW,, I'm not a coach and i do'nt claim this is the right way ).
                        Haveing said that,, everyone has their own way with grip. Some players do it with 2 fingers, some use all their fingers. I believe how you use your grip is a matter of personal preference. the main thing is what works for you.
                        Enjoy your game.
                        Last edited by Ramon; 2 May 2015, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• Why is it my bridge hand shoulder hurts like hell after play for like 2 hrs.

Comment

• pressure. you could have too much weight over your bridge arm and/or theres some twisting of the tendons

Comment

• How do i reduce the weight? Could it be the stance? Will the boxer or the square stance help?

Comment

• without seeing you its not easy to say, but anythings gonna be better than being so uncomforably off balance so shuffle around until you find something that feels right. id get that support leg wrking for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X