No announcement yet.

How much pressure on Bridge hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a whole every shot is technically the same, but with practice you may find you develope a stroke for certain shots depending what that shot requires. but the head is literally the core of your setup, so keep the head down, poised and as still as physically possible
    consistency demands simplicity and the harder you work at improving your skills at the table the easier this game gets.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      as a whole every shot is technically the same, but with practice you may find you develope a stroke for certain shots depending what that shot requires. but the head is literally the core of your setup, so keep the head down, poised and as still as physically possible
      consistency demands simplicity and the harder you work at improving your skills at the table the easier this game gets.
      Truer words never spoken. I should have this tattooed on my bridge arm to remind me.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
        As for Mr trump and the vid clip which shows the bending of the cue shaft on that blue he plays (I've watched it now) it's totally obvious that this is purely due to him raising the cue butt during backswing. It might be slight, but that is all that would be required to create the impression of the bending. By the time the tip strikes the white, his cue will be back where it started at address, and will travel through the white as straight as an arrow, as is always the case with Trump.
        Judd actually addresses the cue ball with right hand side for every shot but brings the cue through to strike centre ball on the delivery stroke. How this is done is a mystery to me and maybe even to him, perhaps the bending of his cue comes from this very technique, who knows.

Comment

this is what we see on the screen and if so it might be the configuration of his elbow joint anatomically, but im sure in his eyes hes aproaching and going through the cb straight

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
          Judd actually addresses the cue ball with right hand side for every shot but brings the cue through to strike centre ball on the delivery stroke. How this is done is a mystery to me and maybe even to him, perhaps the bending of his cue comes from this very technique, who knows.

Comment

i don't get whats been so out of the box for you, what do you regard relevent and good technical practice. have you ever had coaching and to what level? cus you type alot but your not sounding like you've ever put the work in on the table anywhere near half as much as some of the posters you question here

What I mean by good technical practise is simply the practise of adopting a good standardised / conventional technique if possible, or if that's not entirely possible, working on the glaringly obvious issues that are inhibiting you from playing more consistently.

What I regard as relevant for a player, especially those who are learning the basics / intermediates of the game, would be an understanding of a basic set of rules / tools which allow a player to assess their own setup and delivery.

Obviously, it's not always easy to establish what is exactly going on with our own technique all of the time, and occasoinally issues that go unnoticed by ourselves can be picked up by others with an understanding of what they see. This is always useful and beneficial if there is the capacity within the player to understand it, accept it and learn to adopt a better / more correct way.

There will always be exceptions to that as we know, and players could be named here that many would have known, seen or even played with / against. That doesn't mean other players should model themselves on any of that though, which is my point about Judd Trump through this.

Finally....

It's a little bit presumptuous to claim that I sound like "I've never put the work in" (whatever that means.) How does someone who has never put the work in sound.?...Can you give examples of what I have typed (and there's a lot of that apparently) that leads you to feel that I am a novice, learner, or have no idea of what I am saying.?

You have no idea of my ability or knowledge as a player. Really, comments such as that says more about you than it does I.

With that in mind, and on reflection, perhaps my initial views were put across way too harshly. But, I do find it sad that people put forward suggestion as advice, and claim that it's concrete and proven, when in fact, it's not anything of the sort. I apologise for how I replied earleir in this thread, it should have been more measured, but the essence of what I said stands, and I would argue those points until the cows come home.

As I have already said, get someone to ask the question during the world's on the BBC, of whether varying degrees of downward pressure on the cue is of any benefit. I would be more than happy to hear the reply and would happily give £100 to charity to hear it too.
            Last edited by trevs1; 14 April 2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I posted the suggestion that the down force on my bridge helps me play and control certain shots better..but concrete and proven were words I did not use trev.

While the above post goes a little way to apologize for your aggressive earlier replies and can't understand the new language used.

Comment

Originally Posted by buddfridgeman View Post
                I posted the suggestion that the down force on my bridge helps me play and control certain shots better..but concrete and proven were words I did not use trev.

While the above post goes a little way to apologize for your aggressive earlier replies and can't understand the new language used.

To be truthful about it, I'm not sure there is any "new" language. What I said in posts 24 and 30 was direct yes, but it was in response to posts that just made no sense at all. I stand by my view of that 100%. Perhaps I could have been less direct / sarcastic, but to me, and for all the years I've been involved in snooker, I've never heard anything quite like it. (well that's not entirely true, I have heard some belters over the years)

I would welcome the views of the likes of Steve Davis, or any other VERY well respected exponent of not only the game, but the deeper technical aspects that go hand in hand with it, to give their own views of this topic, even if it were the briefest of views. I would willingly scoff down my words if anyone of repute suggested that variable downward pressure on the cue / grip, equated to anything at all advantageous. It would be an utter revelation to me to hear that such people thought it was a good idea and good sound practise.

Apologies again if I offended, that wasn't the intention. I was just arguing to the contrary and maybe a little to intensely.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                  What I mean by good technical practise is simply the practise of adopting a good standardised / conventional technique if possible, or if that's not entirely possible, working on the glaringly obvious issues that are inhibiting you from playing more consistently.

What I regard as relevant for a player, especially those who are learning the basics / intermediates of the game, would be an understanding of a basic set of rules / tools which allow a player to assess their own setup and delivery.

Obviously, it's not always easy to establish what is exactly going on with our own technique all of the time, and occasoinally issues that go unnoticed by ourselves can be picked up by others with an understanding of what they see. This is always useful and beneficial if there is the capacity within the player to understand it, accept it and learn to adopt a better / more correct way.

There will always be exceptions to that as we know, and players could be named here that many would have known, seen or even played with / against. That doesn't mean other players should model themselves on any of that though, which is my point about Judd Trump through this.

Finally....

It's a little bit presumptuous to claim that I sound like "I've never put the work in" (whatever that means.) How does someone who has never put the work in sound.?...Can you give examples of what I have typed (and there's a lot of that apparently) that leads you to feel that I am a novice, learner, or have no idea of what I am saying.?

You have no idea of my ability or knowledge as a player. Really, comments such as that says more about you than it does I.

With that in mind, and on reflection, perhaps my initial views were put across way too harshly. But, I do find it sad that people put forward suggestion as advice, and claim that it's concrete and proven, when in fact, it's not anything of the sort. I apologise for how I replied earleir in this thread, it should have been more measured, but the essence of what I said stands, and I would argue those points until the cows come home.

As I have already said, get someone to ask the question during the world's on the BBC, of whether varying degrees of downward pressure on the cue is of any benefit. I would be more than happy to hear the reply and would happily give £100 to charity to hear it too.
                  mate, we have spoken on the phone on a few ocations in the past an i know your not a bad fella, but when it come to playing snooker i know, you dont know what the hell your talking about.

Comment

mate, we have spoken on the phone on a few ocations in the past an i know your not a bad fella, but when it come to playing snooker i know, you dont know what the hell your talking about.
                    Strange comments mate ? i believe Trevor is a very good player indeed

Comment

• why? not for me. our la makes lovely looking cues but hes not coming across as a player
                      Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Strange comments mate ? i believe Trevor is a very good player indeed

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                        why? not for me. our la makes lovely looking cues but hes not coming across as a player
                        I believe he was a regular century maker

Comment

• Just to add to this, I'll share something I do on certain shots.

If I'm playing well and seeing the ball, I often throw in a special technique right at the last minute. I'll normally be on for a nice break, cuing well and I'll line up my next shot. Get down feather up as normal, pull the cue back, then right on the delivery, I apply downward pressure, upward pressure, sideways pressure, and lift my head and try and knock one of the ceiling tiles out.

NOTE: This technique may make you pump the object ball into the side cushion and miss the pot by 3 foot.
                          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• This thread is getting ridiculous now ffs!

Trumps cue bends because its whippy.....he pots like a demon, wins tournaments, wears daft shoes with spiky exterior and he sports bed head 100% of the time......he is mega talented and plays with originality........anything else that anyone says about this downward/upward/sideways/diagonal pressure or anything that anyone believes they see on TV have observed in a club or believe they do can be explained........

If whilst doing any of the above the pot goes in, job done......end of!

Thankyou and goodnight!
                            Safety doesn't win frames.......Potting does!

Comment

Have we, oh, I was unaware of that. Why not give me another call and we can discuss this between ourselves at a time when I would be happy to have a chat. Really, I mean that.

Comment

why? not for me. our la makes lovely looking cues but hes not coming across as a player
                                Surely you can see how this sounds here no.???

"Come across as a player".?...What DOES that mean.?

I reckon this place is full of folks who claim to be excellent players, whereas in reality, they are possibly far less able than their claims might suggest. That's for each and every individual to put forward as they see fit or have a desire to do, but it doesn't mean that all we read here is factual, or even close to being accurate.

How do you define "a player".? What is it you need to know in order to establish that.?

Please don't answer that, they are just rhetorical questions and I don't want to get into it any further.

As I said, ring again and we can speak privately. I will answer whatever you ask about me as far as playing goes, but I'm not going to spout off about how good, bad or otherwise I may or may not have been on a bloody forum. To me, that's little more than a dick measuring contest.

Jeez.
                                Last edited by trevs1; 15 April 2015, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X