Links to threads from shoutbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Links to threads from shoutbox

Not sure if there is already a thread where this should go - anyway...

I noticed that the new shoutbox says when someone has replied to a thread.... e.g. "BigRonnieFan has replied to the thread I want Ronnie to have my babies".

Is it plausible to make the thread name be a link - so clicking on I want Ronnie to have my babies takes one directly to that thread?

I have no idea whether this is a lot of work or something very easy to do - just a suggestion....
    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

on the same "subject"

it shows an edit to a post as "******** has replied....", which has confused a couple of users so far.

Comment

Can't we have the shoutbox in "Home" ? I usually only look at this, at is has the "recent thread" section
      Don't know if something like that is possible with the software used...
      Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos View Post
        Can't we have the shoutbox in "Home" ? I usually only look at this, at is has the "recent thread" section
        or put it at "pink" where the gallery was

(at least till the gallery is sorted out)

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest View Post
          ...Is it plausible to make the thread name be a link - so clicking on I want Ronnie to have my babies takes one directly to that thread?

I have no idea whether this is a lot of work or something very easy to do - just a suggestion....
          Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer View Post
          on the same "subject"
          it shows an edit to a post as "******** has replied....", which has confused a couple of users so far.
          I'd like to change both of these but neither is available as a built in option, so would require a bit of work.
          Edit: Implemented DG's suggestion (didn't require much work at all as it turns out), will look into Semih's

Originally Posted by Ekphantos View Post
          It's possible (quite easy) but the reason I haven't already put it up is out of concern for server load. Many people already leave the homepage open and with its constant refreshing the shoutbox is quite demanding. It might be possible to modify it so that it refreshes much less frequently for inactive users, I'll have to look into that.

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer View Post
          or put it at "pink" where the gallery was

(at least till the gallery is sorted out)
          How about at blue? Would the shoutbox be an acceptable replacement for chat, or does it lack something? Obviously if it has its own page it could be made larger and made to remember more messages, and I might be able to add other features if needed.

(This multi quote thing is quite handy isn't it?)
          Last edited by Robert602; 17 December 2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

OK couple of things on this one, sorry Rob been meaning to mail you about some of these

Firstly the shoutbox was only put up as a test to see if it would get used and now as I see it is being used I can install a much better one (more resourse heavy), BUT we will have to stick with this one for a few weeks yet.

As Robert said the AJAX feature of the shout box produces loads of SQL queries to the database and already it has caused a number of database errors on the site, which is not a major problem as we will soon be moving to a server in the UK which is much, much faster.

Also a gallery and a chat room will be back this week

Some of you may have noticed that you do not get topic notification via email every now and then, I have had sevral emails about this. The reason is that the server we are currently on has a 200 emails a hour limit, which is no good at all for a site of this size, this is also one of the reasons why we are moving.

Comment

cheers for the heads up guys.

seems like "old tsf" with good add ons will be with us and working smoothly, quite soon

Comment

pagers will be back too, I hope?
                ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602 View Post
                  Edit: Implemented DG's suggestion (didn't require much work at all as it turns out)
                  Thanks Robert. This is a great addition.
                  Originally Posted by Robert602 View Post
                  (This multi quote thing is quite handy isn't it?)
                  (Yes, it is.)
                  "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                  David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Oh, I see we've got these little flags back, cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X