48+ hours for moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48+ hours for moderation

I understand your efforts against spammers and how busy the forum is, however I have been on various forums for the past 15 years and I have never experienced such a long wait time for moderation of posts.

If you wish to list various amounts of visitors of the site in x amount of time, fair enough but when your moderation time is above 48+ hrs then surely you should look to increase the amount of moderators on the forums.

Anyway, no disrespect meant I am just eager to ask questions and be a part of the community.

Just to add your support.thesnookerforums.co.uk page comes back with an ISP 404 error.

Comment

Getting my posts moderated is getting right on my pip tbh.

Comment

I can't see that anything on the forum is ever urgent so why does it matter?

This is a free service which is run for the convenience and amusement of a lot of members. I think it is excellent value and very informative. What is the problem?
        王可

Comment

The problem is having to wait what is now 4 days old for a simple post to be moderated.

You ask what could be urgent well I was hoping to get some cue buying advice as I wanted to order something before I fly out of the UK.

Nobody has attacked this forum so I'm a little bemused why you felt it necessary to jump to it's aid. If I didn't find theseforums useful and informative I wouldn't have been seeking advice here.

Surely you would have to agree 4 days to accept a post is somewhat excessive.

Comment

I am not sure what is meant by "4 days to accept a post".
            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Badger View Post
              Getting my posts moderated is getting right on my pip tbh.
              Your last post to be moderated was at 11:23pm yesterday not even 2 hours ago and it is now showing on the forum.

Originally Posted by iNko View Post
              The moderation cue :eek-new: is currently showing 0 Threads & 0 Posts, are you sure it was this forum you posted on? if you had posted more than three links in your first two posts on the forum then that post would of been automatically deleted by the forum software and you would of been show a message saying this.

Over the past 5 years since spam became a real problem on the forum we have used many different approaches to try and combat spam, some I admit have failed terribly leaving me with hundreds of support emails asking why peoples registration attempts were denied from one modification we had installed for nearly 2 years, I estimate that we actually turned away over 5,000 new members because of the way this particular spam catcher used a members username as a spam filter.

New registrations are now checked against a spam database used by over 50,000 big forums around the world and this is only done by IP address and no no longer by the username a member chooses when registering for the site.

The only filters we have in place at the moment are those based on post length, keywords and links which sometimes fail us and we get a few spam messages. These filters are all in place for members with less than ten posts, two of them are dropped after you have made 10 contributing posts to the forum, yes there are sections where your posts do not count towards your actual post count, these are The Snooker Lounge and Support Helpdesk.

As for moderators actually moderating posts on the forum this has not happened for a long time and has been my sole task recently and it is fair to say that I have not always had the time to do this, the spam filters are really accurate and only the odd few genuine posts get moderated, generally if your first post on the forum gets moderated then your next 4 will also go this way.

Anybody who wants to volunteer to do some moderating then please feel free to send me a PM all I ask is that you have been a member for more than 18 months and your own post count is over 150.

Current staff layout

Administrators

ferret - you will notice that I never appear on the Who's Online list, I had to do this a few years ago because I was getting too many message when people saw that I was online

Robert602 - MIA for the past 2 years but I know he is a busy man at university so he will return to us one day

Dantuck_7 - Dan has the administrator role so he can access the admin panel and change the configuration of the forum, add forums, archive old forums and administer the prediction competitions so do not disturb him with trivial crap.

MySockPuppet - Primarily this is a dev account for feature testing and if I need a outside design firm to do work on the forum for me then this is the account which is assigned to them, sometimes you will see posts by this account these are generally automated by the forum software.

Moderators

Up until recently RaNen, Hegland and Freddie Ng were all Super Moderators meaning they could administer any section of the forum but after any period of 4 months or more of a moderator being non active on the forum I automatically demote them back to a member, they can re-apply at any time if they become active again and I thank them all for their help in keeping the forum running.

So that leaves us with Spike who has been a much valued member of the moderation team for several years now, you will never see Spike arguing on the forum and he deals with things when they need to be dealt with, The Statman is also about originally holding a administrators account so he could place his ever valuable statistics on the forum (Click here to see his stats) he still holds a moderators account to edit these as he needs along with the help of Dantuck_7 and he has been know to sort out a few squabbles when nobody else has been about to deal with.

Oh there is also some fella called Adr147 who is a section moderator for the Cues section, more to stop people arguing in there really as this is a section I rarely travel into.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ferret and I appreciate you taking the time to explain the system.

Just to confirm my first post was in the coaching section where I tried to embed a YouTube club of my cueing action. This was placed for moderation, I assumed it was because I embedded the video therefore posted again using just the link and again was placed in moderation. I then said hi on the welcome forum which posted fine then tried to post in the cues section with no link. None of my posts other than those in this forum and the welcome forum have shown up.

I will try to repost them.

Comment

Originally Posted by iNko View Post
                  The problem is having to wait what is now 4 days old for a simple post to be moderated.

You ask what could be urgent well I was hoping to get some cue buying advice as I wanted to order something before I fly out of the UK.

Nobody has attacked this forum so I'm a little bemused why you felt it necessary to jump to it's aid. If I didn't find theseforums useful and informative I wouldn't have been seeking advice here.

only a month or so ago, TSF was spammed and we had hundreds of awful posts, I am sure ferret can tell how many attacks are prevented
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have tried posting again in the coaching section after i reached 2 posts in other threads.

Just to confirm I definitely posted to the Coaching forum

And here is a screen shot of the moderation message and there is no reference to it being automatically deleted.

The post contains text and a http link to a youtube video.

Comment

Not sure what the php code in the screenshot is

Comment

The post showed up, thanks. Case closed

Comment

Working...
                        X