Bug fixes and other changes to TSF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug fixes and other changes to TSF

Ferret has recently granted me full access to the innards of TSF, and I'm working with him to implement small fixes and improvements to the site.

I'll keep a list of the things we've been meddling with here temporarily. If anyone experiences any new problems that they think might be related, or if you disagree with my definition of 'improvement', please post.

There's still quite a bit on my list of things to look at so I'm not asking for reports of old problems here just yet. The one exception - are people still experiencing random logouts? If so I'll make that a priority.

• 24/9/07 - Chat page completely rewritten (old, new). Let me know if anything on there doesn't work as it should. (Except the chat itself, that's still waiting for a new domain)
    • The top menu (with the coloured buttons) has been reworked. Both edges should now line up correctly on all browsers (tested FF2 and IE6). Update 24/9/07: Changed the shade of pink (!).
    • PM popup notifications should now redirect to the PM section of your user CP rather than giving an error page. [s](Still to do: redirect directly to the new PM)[/s]. Update 24/9/07: Completely fixed (also added [s]strikethrough text[/s], quote this post to see how).
    • Removed the 'thread icon' and 'number of views' columns from the recent threads list on the home page. This is intended to give a bit more room for the thread titles. It can be restored easily though if many people found the old info particularly useful. Update 24/9/07: Modified to display views within replies column. Update 25/9/07 shortened date format eg from 'September 23rd, 2007' to 'Sep 23rd', again this is to create more room.

I'm not that bothered about the icon, but I like seeing how many people have viewed the threads.
    'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Originally Posted by samasnookerfan
      but I like seeing how many people have viewed the threads.
      I second that one.

Any news on whats happening with Rep feature ? Is it a suspension or total ban ?
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I agree. Its useful to see the thread view/reponse ratio for varoius reasons.
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g
          Any news on whats happening with Rep feature ? Is it a suspension or total ban ?
          I am waiting on some information from Curtis!! which will allow me to install a new reputation feature for the site.

The new reputation feature is loads better, should have it installed by the end of next week along with the shout box.

Comment

Things seem to be getting better! I'm loving it!
            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

thread icon going makes little difference.

number of views can be good, but in general you get a similar ratio of posts to views on most forums on the net, as a general rule. will miss it at first if it stays away, but wont "realise" after a week or so....

not experienced logouts for about a month, and it used to happen a couple of times a day..

and cheers for the updates

Comment

Just to clarify, the view counts in the main forum (eg here) won't be going anywhere. If you're particularly interested in seeing thread views you can always go that way round.

I do think the removal of the views column helps to make the threads list feel less claustrophobic and reduces scrolling, but the change is for no other reason than that. As it's a purely aesthetic thing I'm inclined to leave it up to popular opinion. A fair compromise might be to display view count directly underneath reply count?

Here are the options, let me know what you think:
                http://www.thesnookerforum.com/rob/viewcolumn.png

Comment

Number 3 for me Robert.
                  It's fine if we can view the number of visits a thread has had, in the particular forum the thread was posted.
                  'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

option 3

Comment

Option 3 looks the best.

Thanks for the efforts, mate. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
                      "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

I go along with 3 too.
                        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I dont mind it. So I am happy for 3 as well, if the majority wants it. Just dont re-introduce any repping nonsense! Its fine as it is now. No one seems to miss it anyway! If you like or dislike, just post it or PM the person.

Comment

3rd is the best!
                            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Number 3 it is.

(Rep is a discussion for another thread and another day I think)

I've only had one report of continuing logout problems so far. As far as I'm aware nobody's made any changes to fix this yet so I'd be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if no one else was having issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X