Not playing out of baulk when in hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not playing out of baulk when in hand

Hello All, Can someone explain this to me please as it seems to go against all the rules that I know about in billiards..
    I am watching the Anna Lynch v Alex Puan Irish World matchplay match, 2nd frame, see time mark at 1:21:30 on youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg6_CW2eAsw
    Anna pots Alex's yellow into bottom pocket putting alex in hand. She then plays a safety shot leaving the red in baulk and her ball near side cushion. Alex puts his yellow ball in the 'D' as you do and then plays the red in baulk and pots it into the yellow pocket??
    Is there some strange matchplay rule that you don't have to play out of baulk if in hand?
    Thanks in advance

I just watched that and the only thing I can think of is that one can play a ball in baulk if your cue ball has been deliberately potted but not if you go in off yourself. I must say it's a new one on me as well, could be a rule specifically for that tournament or something new to temper deliberate potting of an opponents cue ball which isn't really what billiards is all about.
    Strange one indeed.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I have passed this question to my Billiard playing buddy and he said he has seen this video before and he did wonder at the time, he recalls that a rule has been changed "recently" and will look into this a bit later
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

World Billiards modified the rules in advance of the 2017 World Championship at Leeds which was also played to the 100-up format. The relevant change was as follows:

Section 3, Rule 6 ‘Playing From In-Hand’ After (b) add: If the striker comes to the table with their cue ball in hand as a result of the non-striker’s last turn, the striker can play directly on to a ball or balls in baulk for that shot only. At all other times the following will apply; (usual rules). Section 2, Rule 16 ‘Miss’ Section 3, Rule 16 ‘Action after a Miss’: Remove completely; all misses are fouls.

Comment

Thank you for all your answers, it explains it.
          Regards

Comment

I've looked at Section 3 Rule 6 on the official rules on the WPBSA website and can't see the bit mentioned. Has it changed again?
            http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
              I've looked at Section 3 Rule 6 on the official rules on the WPBSA website and can't see the bit mentioned. Has it changed again?
              as you say Tim, I had a look at July 2021 version and Sec 3.6 Ball in hand does not have these changes. 100-uper, where/when did these changes occur and where can we see them?
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

This modification is only for certain events, usually the very short matches. best of whatever games of 100 up's etc. When playing from hane after you have been potted (only) you have an open table and can play directly to a ball in baulk. It is designed to limit negative play.

Comment

Working...
                X