Geo.wright and co official rules of the game of billiards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geo.wright and co official rules of the game of billiards

Hi there a friend of mine has listed this on Ebay, any billiard people know if it has a value?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1606539061...84.m1555.l2649

Thanks
    Steve
    Steve180
    Cues for swap/sale
    Powerglide Purist 3/4
    Peradon Anniversary 1 piece

Very fuzzy, but from what I can see it looks as though they relate to Geo. Wright's "15 Prize Medals" period, which would place them between 1890-93.

The big revision to the rules came in 1898 which might have attracted more interest academically if they could be linked to that date or thereabouts (19 prize medals). These earlier rules exist in many forms so would mainly be of decorative value, and they look a bit rough in this respect. Still, they are a rare survivor. Although that doesn't mean they are valuable. I'll be interested to see what they fetch.

Comment

Hello i can tell you that this piece has the 19 prize medals quoted on it if that makes much difference. I am actually selling the piece and could not believe i cannot find another image or any other info anywhere on the web of this exact piece!!

Gaz

Comment

Check and see if it has reference to a revision date of 1898. If it has this it would be worth mentioning.

Comment

hi mate, yes it says on it revised and redrafted 1898...i think i have wrote this onthe ebay description

Gaz

Comment

hi mate, yes it has revised and redrafted march 1898 on the piece...i have written this in the description on e bay

Comment

These rules were important in that they formalised the "spot-barred" game and marked the end of the era of spot breaks which started with John Roberts Sen., in the 1860s and ended with Peall and Mitchell, who had dominated the "all-in" game at this time.

Because of the reference to "19 Medals" you can say that this was one of the first printings of these rules, so it is worth mentioning, although it may not effect the value overmuch.

All the billiard-table makers were allowed to reprint and sell the rules paying a fee to the Billiard Association for each one sold, so you might see the same rules with other makers names on the top. The sheet should have an embossed stamp of the Association somewhere on them, usually at the bottom of the sheet.

Can the damaged edges be covered by a mount?
              Last edited by 100-uper; 18 September 2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Great info Thankyou, it has the embossed stamp yes its all there...all the edges exept the bottom corner can be covered by a mount for sure...the corner has just deteriorated hal and inch too far i would say. I always thought this may appeal to a collecter but i guess we,ll wait and see now. I thankyou for you knowledge in this mate.

Gaz

Comment

Iv'e seen mint condition ones ( 19 medals ) with abit of brown/yellowing foxing fetch £150 FRAMED in original frame , but the condition of youre's is very poor , and to be honest Serious collectors would shun it , but as a decoraters piece with a suitable frame it could fetch around £40 to £50 unless the frame used is worth more ? , as it is £10 ?
                  But at the end of the day auctions can be the best way to get a bidding war going , then its worth whatever they are willing to bid .

BUT I see you have not put the full picture up of it , the bottom corner main damage if very bad then expect next to nothing for it , it's all about it's usefull use , and if the damage is too serious then it only has historical referance and not display quality .
                  Last edited by Geoff Large; 24 September 2011, 09:53 PM.
                  [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Working...
                  X