Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue & tip choice dilema

Hi,

My wife has offered to buy me a new cue for Xmas. I only took the game of billiards up 2 years ago so I just simply bought a cheapish cue to get started, not knowing what would be ideal for me or for playing the game of billiards. I've had varying advice over the last 2 years, some saying that I should play with a cue having an 11mm tip, some that I should only consider one with a blue diamond tip and others, that a 16 oz one piece cue would be ideal. Also that I need to have a longer cue as I'm 6ft 1" tall. Others say that I'll just have to keep buying a cue until I find the one that feels right, (That's easier said than done and could take years never mind the expense). The cue I have is a 3 piece, 57" Pro Cue with a 9.75 mm tip, (don't know the make or grade of tip) and weighs 20 oz. I notice that the other leaque players choices range enormously and I have steadily improved my handicap playing with this cue although I have struggled with it at times, and would like to have a new one now. My dilema is what to buy for billiards. Has anyone got any recommendations? I would appreciate any helpful comments before getting my wife to part with her cash.

I think the best thing to do is to visit somewhere which has a table to try out cues such as craftsman or greenbaize.

Comment

Yeah, am considering going to one in Sheffield which is the nearest to us, (about 40 miles), but they only have a 6ft table and am concerned that advise is usually for snooker & not billiards. Does everyone use the same cue for both sports? I would be interested to know what everyone uses.

Comment

Not a billiard player myself but i would have thought that the specs would be the same for snooker as the same balls are used .

Comment

Hi there Ninefooter.

i'm just wondering. Do u need a cue for Carom(3 cushion) or Snooker Billiards(3 balls) ?

For Snooker, because of the smaller balls we use a snooker cue..
          For Carom, because of the bigger balls we use a carom cue.... 11mm tip. shorter cue

World apart in feel and specs.. u could ask a Dutch, Belgium or German suplier,
          because both the games are popular in those countries.

I would go for a Ceulemans - Artemis - Longoni ! - Buffalo - Adam ... etc. etc. ...

greetings from the netherlands.

Barry

Comment

Although they are expensive ,relatively speaking, Robin cues do make Mike Russell replicas and Geet Sethi cues.These are or have been World Champion Billiards players so I would have thought that if anyone could give help and advice about what makes a top class billiard cue, it would be Robin.His cues are pure class and excellent players and always get good reviews on TSF as I am sure you would find out by running a search on the forum.Hope this helps.
            Last edited by old school; 20 December 2011, 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi there Barry from the Netherlands.

I'm playing English Billiards with 3 full sized balls, (2,1/16"), on full size tables, (12ft x 6 ft). Knowing my wife, she'll only afford a reasonable amount and buy from as near possible supplier here in England, but I don't mind that as long as I find a decent cue that will help me to continue improving my handicap, then perhaps next Xmas she might buy me a more expensive one! (LOL), Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, although I don't think I'll aspire to World Class Status, even with the best of cues. However, I'm grateful for the input and will take up your advice. Cheers

Comment

You never know what you can do,until you try.Robin is very easy to deal with and happy to talk and pass on his experience.Even if it only points you in the right direction,you wont be disappointed.You could also look at Craftsman ( Kippax nr Leeds),Chesworths ( Sheffield) or Green Baize ( N.E. England) all the aforesaid have facilities ,in house, for you to try a cue on a table to help you decide on your purchase or to help you decide on your perfect cue specs.There is no substitute for actually taking a prospective cue (or a cue of the correct specs) for a turn around a table,instead of "buying blind".Good luck in your search.

Comment

20oz would be very heavy for a billiard cue - its a touch game.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Yeah, I've made contact with Martin Chesworth and am going to Sheffield to try some out. Indication so far is probably a 59", 18oz cue with a 9.5 tip. Will post the end result when finalised, meanwhile if anyone else has anything to add then would be pleased to hear.

Comment

hi ninefooter i agree with adr billiards is generally a touch game you dont often send the ball round all cushions ,martin will help you might be a few quid but will help used him myself before started messing with cues myself,i would have thought even 18 oz might be more than enuf,not sure if martin carries anything in the 59 ins range if he dont gisa shout know a few people what might be able to help if your that close to sheffield
                        Last edited by jim evans; 20 December 2011, 07:13 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

the length is more about how compactly you play i would not focus on that - try and find a cue that feels good for you don't look at the specs - specs lie!

Comment

be alright with a old billiard cue whippy as hell 13-15 oz then andrew lol

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                              be alright with a old billiard cue whippy as hell 13-15 oz then andrew lol
                              never did walter lindrum any harm!

Comment

Working...
                              X