What is billiards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is billiards

I always thought billards was played on a snooker table with 3 balls and the object of the game was to pot the cueball off the object ball, but after going to the US the game seems to be more like pool.

Can somebody clarify this for me.

Visit the Canadian ( and veeery nice ) site [url]http://www3.sympatico.ca/eric.perreault/ defaulthtml.html They have basic rules and so on. ( Again sorry for the smiley - otherwise the address appears incomplete ! )

Comment

Billiards is basically about going in off and cannons. You will find the americans have different rules for every sport. Billiards is no where near like pool played to the prober rules I no cause I have play A grade pool and C Grade Billiards. The best way to find the prober rules would be to go out and buy a rules book.

Billiards is a great game to play and helps u alot with u snooker game atleast that I have found.

Comment

When i think of billiards, 3 cushion carom comes to mind. Slightly heavier and bigger balls, 3 balls, table with no pockets. Aim the cue ball to contact one object ball, have the cueball contact 3 rails, then hit the other object ball. or 3 cushions first then the 2 object balls.

Comment

http://www.caromtv.com/ if you want hardcore billiards... without any pockets, and you have to hit 3 cushions before you can think of scoring - oh yeah, world record's only about 23!!!!
          Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

lol, just watched a video from caromtv. That game is really wierd! There are 3 balls on the table and as far as I can gather they have to hit the yellow so it hits the white and then the yellow hits the white. No pockets on the tables either.

Comment

It's fascinating when you see the great players on a 'run'/break, you can download some video files from the site too.

Some of the shots they play are jaw droppers aren't they, the fact the table is slightly smaller, 10x5 not 12x6, doesn't make them any less spectacular - it'd improve your snooker for sure.

in the canon, you have to hit the cushions 3 times; anywhere in the shot.
              Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

both the white and yellow balls are used as cue balls. the red ball is used as the object ball. the object of the game is to score a certain amount of points. to shoot a scoring shot you have to hit one of the balls with yur cue ball, have yur cue ball hit, at least 3 rails, then hit the second object ball. thats the general shot. the rule is that the cue ball must contact 3 or more rails before it touches both object balls.

it really is a good game to improve yur skills. after i started playing carom billiards, ive been able to make some shots most people would even dream of. shots like multiple rail set ups or going around multiple balls off rails. of course, i have never used any of those fancier shots when i play snooker.

Comment

what's your highest break silverdragon? if that's what you call it? I guess as in billiards, opponents toss for playing the yellow or white rather than choosing which one every visit?

Doubt the BBC'll cover some footage, but SKY might, I always imagine someone with a brain'll bring back Pot Black and/or Junior Pot Black. Blaine Hendry Vs Judd Trump tickets; twist my arm!

Comment

break in snooker or run in carom? im not that great in snooker, being more of a pool player since its so hard to find a snooker table where i am. the closest hall i know of that has more than one snooker table is carom cafe, there caromtv comes from. my highest break in snooker was around 60 i think. highest run in carom was 8.

as for how they choose which cue ball they want, the winner of the lag gets to choose which (white or yellow) ball they want for their cue ball.

Comment

pretty good standard then, enough for you to approach what the Pro's can do - hope you sorted out the BBC Streaming problem, especially if you like Steve Davis; cracking bloke. It'd be much better if that Carom webcam had a faster speed, difficult to see the shots, nice when you see their reaction at a good shot though.
                      PS Steve's 8-6 up and 9 all in points, just snookered Gerrard Greene after a miss hit, but Greene just potted an amazing red - txt commentaries eh, if only.

Comment

Thats my dream, to become a professional, even the best. Of course, im having doubts about that happening. Its not that my skills arient high enough, but the question of support. Most people have to start young, playing in leagues and tornements. I just dont have that kind of money, and im not getting any support from my family. My parents take the sterotypical view of pool halls as being bad, and they want me to get a job with dependable income. Considering tournements are usually at night, i cant imagine my parents letting me stay out so late in a pool hall at 7 PM. The fact that they dont even let me go out and hang out with my friends is another story.

Nope, i didnt get that stream problem fixed. I figure when i go to college, ill get a dish that recieves uk BBC.

Its hard to have good speed on a webcam. I remember telling the owner that a better camera should be placed, but that hasent happened. I guess its not that important, because im sure there arient that many people watching that live feed.

Comment

billiards

Originally Posted by Snooker
                          I always thought billards was played on a snooker table with 3 balls and the object of the game was to pot the cueball off the object ball, but after going to the US the game seems to be more like pool.

Can somebody clarify this for me.
                          well m8, im from the uk, scotland,billiards2 me is 3 ball,s 1 white for 1 player &1 yellow 4 ur opponent,and the black,or sometimes a red,that is the main ball,,the way i no how 2 play is u get points 4 playn cannon,s in off,s pottn black or opponents ball,&if u were 2 follow frew& go in of say or cannon the other ball thats on table u get ,point,s 4 the pot plus point,s 4 the in of or cannon,,the player thats on play,s till he misses,,,hope that makes sence 2 u m8,,but in usa they call billiards,pool,different strokes 4 different folkes lol ;]]
                          [CENTER][LEFT][RIGHT]HI EVERYONE,,well my name is scott :cool: i live in hamilton,scotland,ive alway,s loved playn snooker on the big table,s at my snooker club,my highest brk is 83 at the club,,THEN I GOT INTO ISNOOKER ;} :) so i dont go as much now as this is very additive as ull no,ive been playn this for 3 month now and really enjoy it,ONLY IF THEY FIXD THE LINE it could improve. im 35 and have a boy at 17 &a girl at 16,ive been involved with my wife 4 19 years now.............

Comment

Isnt this billiards?

http://www.mastersgames.com/images/t...-billiards.jpg

Comment

Int-restin username FRJ; your pic is for Bar Billiards.

Comment

Working...
                              X