How do you start a game with handicaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by HIPPY147 View Post
    thats how i have always played person on -30 would need to score 230 to win game in 200 up
    Yeah I agree with that, just wondered if peoples handicap system give a maximum of +30 and all other handicaps are measured from that?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
      I can only imagine this would perhaps be relevant in an aggregate scores match, which I've never ever been involved with. In normal matches I've only ever seen the net handicap put on the board: without a target number of points it really makes no odds.
      yes of course aggregate games, the club tournaments are 2-frame aggregate scores, forgot that bit in the previous post. Thanks LL147

now, here is another question about handicaps and multiple frame matches that I have heard others ask at the start of their matches - "now I have +20, is that +40 for the two frames? do I add 40 now, or 20 and then 20 later?" or is it +20 for the MATCH and not per-frame?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        now, here is another question about handicaps and multiple frame matches that I have heard others ask at the start of their matches - "now I have +20, is that +40 for the two frames? do I add 40 now, or 20 and then 20 later?" or is it +20 for the MATCH and not per-frame?
        It has to be per frame.

If you play in a league it may well be that you play single frames in normal league matches (although our league plays two frames). However, the league might also run different competitions like a League Singles where you play best of five frames (or longer for semis-finals). It wouldn't be fair if someone on +20 gets a 20 start in a single frame match, and the same across a much longer match. Besides in anything other than a single frame match when/how would you adjust for the handicap?

There's no sensible alternative other than to apply any handicap to each frame played.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

It has to be per frame.

If you play in a league it may well be that you play single frames in normal league matches (although our league plays two frames). However, the league might also run different competitions like a League Singles where you play best of five frames (or longer for semis-finals). It wouldn't be fair if someone on +20 gets a 20 start in a single frame match, and the same across a much longer match. Besides in anything other than a single frame match when/how would you adjust for the handicap?

There's no sensible alternative other than to apply any handicap to each frame played.
          no it is not league but internal club tournaments; and I am not in it myself but I constantly hear those playing coming up with differing ways of applying their handicaps

Now, do you apply the TOTAL handicap at the start of the match, i.e. +20 player puts up +40 at the start of a 2-frame match?

Comment

Now, do you apply the TOTAL handicap at the start of the match, i.e. +20 player puts up +40 at the start of a 2-frame match?
            I repeat: "It has to be per frame."

In our league we've had players on +60 or +70. Can you imagine putting +120 or +140 on the score board at the start of a match?

Comment

no it is not league but internal club tournaments; and I am not in it myself but I constantly hear those playing coming up with differing ways of applying their handicaps

Eh, how would that even work Dean lol, what happens at the start of frame two are the scores put back to zero? So that means he got a 40 start in the first frame and no start in the second. Or have I missed something( it has been known).
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Eh, how would that even work Dean lol, what happens at the start of frame two are the scores put back to zero? So that means he got a 40 start in the first frame and no start in the second. Or have I missed something( it has been known).
                aggregate score type matches - the score continues from the end of each frame to the next

and from LL147's post, the players adds/removes their handicap at the start of EACH FRAME
                Last edited by DeanH; 17 January 2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I repeat: "It has to be per frame."

In our league we've had players on +60 or +70. Can you imagine putting +120 or +140 on the score board at the start of a match?
                  thanks for the clarification
                  you should hear the differing ideas I have heard at differing matches
                  I believe their highest handicap in the club comps is +40

I will pass on the comments to the committee - thanks

Comment

aggregate score type matches - the score continues from the end of each frame to the next

and from LL147's post, the players adds/removes their handicap at the start of EACH FRAME
                    Ah ,get you, yep we have tourneys like that where it's aggregate scores.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Do you guys start the billiards by a toss of a coin, put the balls behind your backs or string?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        Do you guys start the billiards by a toss of a coin, put the balls behind your backs or string?
                        I have seen all the club tournaments start with toss of a coin.

Comment

I have seen all the club tournaments start with toss of a coin.
                          I guess whoever introduced each tournament to a club gave their version and that has stuck over the years; I do like the idea of a stringing start.

Comment

Of course the other thing pertinent to matches with handicaps is what you do about calling F&M.

If you are putting on handicaps for each frame then you can consider an F&M call based solely on that frame's scores as you would normally. If you're putting on the total match handicap then how do you decide whether a F&M call is warranted? Surely only match scores should be on the scoreboard with cumulative points being recorded on a match sheet or something?

Comment

How do you start a game with handicaps?

I believe they don't play F&M in their club tournaments.

Comment

I believe they don't play F&M in their club tournaments.
                                But as a general rule, how could you?

Comment

Working...
                                X