World Billiards Championship 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Billiards Championship 2008

With the event only a week from today, I thought it'd be a good time to start a thread :snooker: with this news link:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...orld_conquest/

And another piece from a few weeks ago:

http://www.thepress.co.uk/news/23564..._lift_for_gary
    "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

I'm really looking forward to the event ... as every year since I started playing billiards.
    Not too many players and fans here in this forum, as it seems

Comment

I like a game of billiards!
      Might of even gone if it was near me.
      Do they film it?

Comment

There has been some discussion about it being filmed privately here:
        http://www.billiard-junkies.co.uk/vi...c=384&forum=14

There has been a strong discussion about it being officially sancitioned / legal ...

Comment

I wish Billiards would be a more popular sport. People just don't want to play it, and most people do not understand it. In my opinion, if there was to be enough Billiards on the television, it would be more popular. Of course that is the same for all things as some would argue, but for Billiards it would really help. There are very few people who understand the rules, understand the game itself and are actually good at it to get some prize money. It would be good if the W.P.B.S.A could be bothered with any attempts to make it popular. It is an art, but there are not many people to teach it if you compare it to Snooker and alongside that, not a lot of professional tournaments. I guess if people don't want to play it then they don't want to play it.

Anyway, good news about the tournament, I hope there is some coverage on TV or the internet.

Comment

"not a lot of professional tournaments" ... good one. the World Championships are the only Pro tournament.
            It seems that the most active venture to keep Billiards alive is the EBOS series (www.e-bos.net). The EABA is also active - but professional billiards, currently doesn't have a too bright future.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
              I wish Billiards would be a more popular sport. People just don't want to play it, and most people do not understand it. In my opinion, if there was to be enough Billiards on the television, it would be more popular. Of course that is the same for all things as some would argue, but for Billiards it would really help. There are very few people who understand the rules, understand the game itself and are actually good at it to get some prize money. It would be good if the W.P.B.S.A could be bothered with any attempts to make it popular. It is an art, but there are not many people to teach it if you compare it to Snooker and alongside that, not a lot of professional tournaments. I guess if people don't want to play it then they don't want to play it.

Anyway, good news about the tournament, I hope there is some coverage on TV or the internet.

I do know that the Asian tourney for English billiards was shown somewhere - footage of it is up on Youtube

On that same tangent, while sports stations in the US (Comcast Sports Net, and ESPN/ESPN2) do show cue sports, it'd be nice for an entire niche channel to be devoted to them, thus giving time for not just American pool, but other cue competitions as well. I can dream, can't I...

Comment

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
                "not a lot of professional tournaments" ... good one. the World Championships are the only Pro tournament.
                It seems that the most active venture to keep Billiards alive is the EBOS series (www.e-bos.net). The EABA is also active - but professional billiards, currently doesn't have a too bright future.
                You are quite right there, it is as simple as that.

Comment

Originally Posted by Redphex View Post
                  Is the Asian tourney for English billiards a pro or amateur tourney?

Comment

I think it is professional, in one of the last events, Peter Gilchrist won it, he definately won a similar one if it wasn't the tournament you mean.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                      I think it is professional, in one of the last events, Peter Gilchrist won it, he definately won a similar one if it wasn't the tournament you mean.
                      http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...rch_type=&aq=f

One of the other things that shows up in that search is an Austrian tournament, not sure if it is pro or amateur.

Comment

I'll be there as an avid spectator for the whole tournament and also playing in the Pro-Am on Friday.

If anyones going, give me a nudge and I'll join you for a well earned pint of the black stuff!

Comment

The one Peter Gilchrist won was the "Asian Games English Billiards"
                          It was best of 9 games 100 up, i think the score was 5 - 2 it was not great Billiards but at least it was recorded, and 100 up is such a short format its hard to get into your stride.
                          Anyway i have reserved my ticket for the final next sunday so thats all im bothered about at the min

Comment

PS Peter played for Singerpore where he now lives

Comment

First round results starting to come in, no suprises yet, leading the way is the favourite Mike Russell he won his first match and got a nice break of 588
                              Last edited by nightman26; 25 July 2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X