Billiard Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiard Question

Just started playing competitive billiards and a question about the scoring if I may...

If it's 2 for a cannon no matter which ball you hit first, but it's either 2 or 3 depending on the ball you pot or go in-off from.....

...why isn't there an incentive for playing a cannon when you hit your opponent's ball first because if you miss the shot, the chances are, you'll leave your ball next to the red and an immeditate scoring chance?

...why don't you score an in-off from the ball you hit last rather than the first, if you hit both balls in one shot?

... for playing in-hand, what defines whether a balls in baulk (on the line for example) and does this affect what part of the ball you can hit?

I've been lent a Snooker book written by good ole Clive Cleverton that includes a section on Billiards too, any hints'n'tips greatly appreciated. So far the useful ones I've come across are..

1. Using check-side for in-offs off the far jaw to drag them.
    2. Doubling the red of the break to either baulk corner can pay dividends.
    3. Topspin has a marked effect on the path after a contact.

For those that never have a game of billiards, I can only say that there isn't a single frame of snooker I play that I don't use at lease 1 element of billiards to help a break or positional shot.

(PS Can't believe I was joking on Thursday morning explaining who Clive Everton was and said that he's got a very verbose way of talking in his snooker commentaries, even to the lengths of never saying 'backspin' or lefthand side but always, "below centre striking" etc.... so blow me that during Sky's Premier League coverage he said the phrase, "screw and righthand side", in one go! Fair play to him in a way, he writes for various people and probably has to think he doesn't want to repeat himslef all the time, so brevity goes on the backburner)
    Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

While playing in hand from the baulk you have to see wether the major part of the ball that you are trying to hit is outside the baulk line.If its outside then you can play the ball but if its inside you cant.Got it???
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Cheers Ranen, 'to clarify' as a Reality TV show over here would say, have a look at this incredible graphic!....

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/937/baulk7cj.jpg

Is the whole of this ball class as 'in baulk' and off limits? Or could I use area 'A' as a potential target for in-offs and cannons?

What happens if the ball's ON the line, is it 'in baulk' and all the ball's a target, or just the area over the baulk line...... I think you're seeing what I'm getting at!

Double checking the definitions, I think it explains it when it says that a bll is in Baulk when it rests on the baulk-line or anywhere between that line and the bottom cushion (baulk cushion).... so using this logic, then as long as the ball isn't touching the line or slightly off it towards the baulk cushion, then any part of it is 'fair-game'... even if your ball doesn't actually leave baulk.

So, do they have an Indian word for rhetorical?!

(I actually knew that someone's scoring at the weekend was wrong; the shot was... my white hits red on cushion, travels up the length of the table to hit his yellow and go in-off too: he said 5)
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Cheers Ranen, 'to clarify' as a Reality TV show over here would say, have a look at this incredible graphic!....

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/937/baulk7cj.jpg

Is the whole of this ball class as 'in baulk' and off limits? Or could I use area 'A' as a potential target for in-offs and cannons?

What happens if the ball's ON the line, is it 'in baulk' and all the ball's a target, or just the area over the baulk line...... I think you're seeing what I'm getting at!

Double checking the definitions, I think it explains it when it says that a bll is in Baulk when it rests on the baulk-line or anywhere between that line and the bottom cushion (baulk cushion).... so using this logic, then as long as the ball isn't touching the line or slightly off it towards the baulk cushion, then any part of it is 'fair-game'... even if your ball doesn't actually leave baulk.

So, do they have an Indian word for rhetorical?!

(I actually knew that someone's scoring at the weekend was wrong; the shot was... my white hits red on cushion, travels up the length of the table to hit his yellow and go in-off too: he said 5)

Comment

The ball is in the behind the baulk line.You cant play it driectly either play the other ball 1st and cannon.OR play the shot in such a way that you are actually playing outside the baulk and touching the ball using a cushion.

Comment

Thanks.... I've seen a few play with lots of either lots of left or righthand side and spin back into baulk; how far out of baulk would you need to hit the side cushion ? I'm guessing as far as the centre of the ball is out of baulk.

Some would say 'anal', some who're fans or play a game to the rules would say 'accurate'!

Cheers again... any snooker Q's you've got, fire them off in the Questions Sub Forum, and we'll give them a crack.

(BTW If you're into cricket at all; who're you supporting in the tests? http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../stadiumw2.gif)

... these double posts are weird.

Comment

You have to hit the ball outside the baulk link.Whole ball.

(In cricket i am sure the Indians will win the series.India has got the strongest batting line up in tests.Almost all the players can bat.)

Comment

So for playing in-hand out baulk you've got to get the whole of your ball out, before bringing it back in, unless the object ball is either on the baulk-line, or even further towards the baulk cushion, in which case you can hit any part of it even if you ball doesn't leave baulk at all - got ya.

(for the cricket I was just curious whether you were willing on ENG or PAK? Devil's advocate. IND v ENG will certainly be a tester for the English)

Comment

As you have understood the whole ball has to go out then come in.As per the case where the ball is on the baulk line.We go back to the beginning of this thread again.Check for the major part o the ball to be in or out.If in u have to play out side the baulk.If EXACTLY on the baulk line you can play it.

(For the cricket part of it, I hope England win.As its obvious I am an Indian and would never want the Pakistani's to win.)

Comment

Indeed, a ball is either IN baulk or it is OUT. There is no such thing as part of a ball allowed to be hit, but not the other.

If the ball is resting on the line, or baulk-side, it is IN, if top-side of the line it is OUTSIDE baulk.

In the latter case, you MAY hit it even if the point of contact is overhanging the D.

Comment

Are you still playing billiards Statman?
                      What's your highest break? I think from a while ago on the BBC forum you were around the 50 mark?

Comment

Not quite 50 I'm afraid. You are right, though, I made my highest of 48, missing an easy-peasy cannon for the half-ton!

Comment

Working...
                        X