• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very difficult

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRMi...eature=related

Comment

a few notes on 3-cushion

Originally Posted by MaartenM View Post
      How hard is carom if you're an average snooker player? (40 break)
      It's a difficult game if you set expectations too high.

For starters, I'd recommend NOT keeping track of any statistics except for your highest run of consecutive billiards.

Secondly, don't worry too much about a special cue. If you find a pool hall that has a carom table, use a one-piece house cue with a good tip. As it happens my playing cue (for American pool) is actually a carom cue with a shaft to play 8-ball and 9-ball.

There are games other than 3-cushion that you can play on a carom table: straight rail, 4-ball billiards, etc. Some of these will seem "easier" than others because you can score points more easily, which can help build confidence at the table.

I always wanted to try it out but the learning curve seems so steep, especially when you're playing an opponent that is also a newbie at the game.
      This depends on your expectations, but if you enjoy the game it won't seem like work.

Is there a lot of external learning involved or can you improve from your mistakes?
      If you can, find a knowledgeable 3-cushion player and take lessons. I took a lesson from a professional carom player (a former national champion) and it helped immediately.

If you know two-, three-, and four-rail kicks and banks (doubles), then you have a leg up. It will also help if you are comfortable using extreme side, though this can certainly be learned.

There are a number of books you can buy to help teach you the game.

The cheapest and most useful may be Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards by Robert Byrne. This is also a fine book if you want instruction on playing American pool.
      http://www.amazon.com/Byrnes-Standar.../dp/0156005549
      (Almost certainly available through Amazon UK.)

The 3-cushion book about which I hear the most praise is quite expensive:
      Mister 100 by Raymond Ceulemans
      http://www.ceulemans.com/index3.html

If you've found the game addictive, consider finding copies of books or CDs from the series A Billiards Atlas on Systems and Techniques.
      http://www.billiardsatlas.com/

These are titles among the most well-known in the States. Aside from the Mister 100 book, other books may be more popular in the UK.

Of course you'll find instruction online for free. That's a hard price to beat.
      http://www.findsnooker.com/
      Snooker tables in the USA

Snooker cue: Mike Wooldridge white Shark
      Pool: Chuck Starkey custom, Schuler SLC-505

Comment

carom

hey rethunk, hows it?
        Carom is a ton of fun . Almost the inverse of pocket billiards. I played no pocket billiardsat all for a long time and they are so different. Both all about cueball control but snooker u have to pot balls as well. hmm. Yep , lotsa side lol

Comment

Originally Posted by barking View Post
          hey rethunk, hows it?
          Carom is a ton of fun . Almost the inverse of pocket billiards. I played no pocket billiardsat all for a long time and they are so different. Both all about cueball control but snooker u have to pot balls as well. hmm. Yep , lotsa side lol
          Howdy! I'm making slow progress towards putting a list of snooker tables in Canada on the site.

The pool hall where I play snooker is expected to have a carom table in the near future. Ah, Nirvana.
          http://www.findsnooker.com/
          Snooker tables in the USA

Snooker cue: Mike Wooldridge white Shark
          Pool: Chuck Starkey custom, Schuler SLC-505

Comment

simple just watch donald duck

doesnt matter what table u play on its the same. the tables are 2 perfect
            squares 3 1/2 x 7, 4 1/2 X9, 4x8, 5x 10,6x12 if u had markings on 6X12
            and allow for nape on snooker table its tme same as 8-ball table or 9-ball
            table or caroom table 7X 14 (real table no pockets).

Thumbnail6:22Add toAdded to queue
            Donald Duck plays three-cushion billiards on u tube lol.

enjoy and study lol.

Comment

use pennies to mark table 1/2 rail then 1/2 between 1/2 and pocket and so on
              around table then watch donald its easy . there is no nape on american tables and the use american 8-or 9 balls which are
              bigger an heavier, and at least a 13 mm tip .
              Last edited by singchin; 11 February 2011, 02:13 PM. Reason: cue and ball size

Comment

carom

is that the game a bit like billiards with no pockets,i played when i worked in amsterdam,dont you have to play of cushions or something befor you hit the object ball

Comment

Thats the one. If you have access to youtube check out the following name: Semih Sayginer. You are not gonna believe your eyes. PS iTS NOT A TRICK WHITE BALL EITHER!!!

Enjoy.

Best regards

Chris

Comment

I would suggest starting with straight rail to get the hang of the game, starting with 3 cushion tends to result in new players playing for luck shots.

Comment

I've been playing american pool for 13 years. I just started playing 3-cushion and let me tell you, I feel like I'm starting all over again trying to make a point. I've played a total of 10 hours and during that time I got three points in a row once. Also, the balls are LARGER than normal pool balls, this allows more accurate use of english. I try to envision the necesary shot before I lean over, then use english (if necessary) to make it follow that path and make it happen. That's the best advice I can give. I'm sure with more practice I'll get better and adjust my technique.
                      Last edited by SmokyOwl; 5 August 2012, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X