Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue cases

Hi

I'm getting a new Tony Glover cue to use for Uk 8 ball, would like to keep my current cue as well and take to matches to use as a break cue and to lend to other players.

Looking for a case that I can carry the two cues plus accessories in (not too much - chalks, towel maybe an extension).

Seen this http://www.cuecraft.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=127

It does say it is suitable for English pool cues but I'm not sure. With expensive cues I want them to be well
    Protected ie. not rattling around or touching eachother

Does anyone know if this is suitable or know of a better alternative?

Also is this case suitable for 3/4 jointed cues or only 1/2??

Thanks

If the cues are centre jointed, there are loads of American pool cases available that protect the cues well. I bought one which holds 2 cue butts, 4 shafts, big pockets for accessories for around £40 from dynamic billiards, it has spring loaded compartments etc.
    The American cases are excellent if you have 2 cues in my opinion. Pro9.co.uk also have a good stock and the owner (BigDave) is very helpful too.
    However, if your cues are 3/4, these cases are not suitable as they are only for centre jointed cues.
    Good luck with your search!
    I went into a chemist and asked for a deodorant, the assistant said "ball, stick or aerosol", "No, I want it for under my arms!" was my reply.

Comment

Thanks mate

That's a shame as I much prefer 3/4 jointed cues but really liked the look of the American cases and the fact that I could have 2 cues in one case!

Thanks again
      Scott

Comment

I will have a rare aluminium silver fox case available when I'm back in the UK (next Friday) holds 2 x 1pc cues
        James lovell

Comment

Originally Posted by jlowap View Post
          I will have a rare aluminium silver fox case available when I'm back in the UK (next Friday) holds 2 x 1pc cues
          Hi jlowap....

Excuse me for jumping in on the thread, but if smlcfc isn't interested in the case I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands.....

I've been looking for a silver/box fox case for ages!!
          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Go ahead Coomsey, I use a 3/4 jointed cue so it's not suitable

Comment

What length is the shaft on your cues , inc of joint ? I ask about the joint because I know Tony sometimes puts the male pin in the shaft and you have to allow 1 1/2 " - 2 " extra for the 5/16 " pin he uses , if the male pin is in the butt then no problem .I have a Barracuda Tournament case that has a maximum internal length of 43 1/4" and has three channels , it easily takes 2 x 3/4 cues ( if they are short shafts ). I shall be visiting Tonys workshop next Wednesday or Thursday morning , if that is any use to you.

Comment

Shaft on my current cue is 41" with the pin in the butt. Assumed my glover cue would have male pin in butt also so thanks for that! Hoping to get over to the workshop in the next couple of weeks to finalise requirements for new cue. It will be 56.5" jointed at about 16". Was more interested in the American style cases but seems
                That's a no go for longer shafts

Comment

Originally Posted by smlcfc View Post
                  Go ahead Coomsey, I use a 3/4 jointed cue so it's not suitable
                  Thank you bud....

Originally Posted by jlowap View Post
                  PM sent mate.....
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Not a problem , tell Tony when you visit that you want the pin in the butt and I am sure he will oblige . If you wish to see the case PM me before you visit Tony , I may be able to get over and meet you.Whereabouts do you live , by the way , I am in S-o-T , which I am sure you are aware is a bit of a " hot bed " for English pool. One more thought , why not get Tony to make a spare shaft for your " break cue " to use as your match cue instead of a completely new cue.If your break cue suits you specs wise you only need a playing shaft to make it more versatile , cheaper too , just a thought.

Comment

Ive decided my current cue isn't quite right hence wanting a new custom cue. Current one is a £60 machine job that I've had for 2 years but sick of it now. I don't play to that high a standard, really only want to keep the current one as a couple of the lads on my team will still use it. It's also slightly heavier and has a 9mm tip so may be better for breaking but not tested this out yet.

I live in Leicester, another "hot bed" for eng pool! Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated

Debating now whether to get a 1/2 join my cue made. In my experience the position of the joint makes little/no difference??

Comment

Nothing wrong with machine spliced cues , just ask Mark Williams , Ken Doherty or Peter Ebdon , if you can play with it then keep it .I personally dont care what a cue looks like as long as it plays. Centre jointed cues , in my opinion , have fallen from favour because of fashion .They are more easily transportable and if jointed correctly i.e. wood to wood joint face , hit the ball as well as any other cue , although they tend sometimes to be more forward biased.I have a Riley Burwat , Dennis Taylor , centre joint , wood to wood ( not for sale ) that it is impossible to tell that it is jointed , until I take it apart after a match. The trick is , to buy a centre joint that was made as a one piece , from ash or maple and jointed after , then you are getting matching grain and the cue will play well , bad centre joints are often made from two disparate pieces of wood , the exception is Maple spare shafts made for the American 9 ball game , which fit to a " universal " butt ( pin size etc ) of the players choice.If you go on the John Parris web site and look under " cue builder " centre joints are still offered ( at least on the Specials ) so if its good enough for Parris , why not. I have league members playing both Trent Trophies and Afford , to a high standard , who still use centre jointed cues , as I say " fashion ".

Comment

I can play with it but it's just not right...too heavy and poor finish on the shaft so just doesn't have the right feel. Hated it when I got it but played with it for long enough to get used to it! Hoping to get one of glovers cues that he has on the rack and tweak it to keep the cost down. Not too fussed about looks, standard ash with ebony butt will do just fine!

I'm guessing a glover cue will be well jointed whatever the position so may go for 1/2 for convenience and case options

Comment

Working...
                          X