Tip Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Sizes

Does anyone use a cue for both pool & snooker? If so what tip sizes do you use? I played league pool every week and snooker only 3 or 4 times a year, so what tip shall I get on my new cue.

Well obviously pool is the priority for you so use what suits you for that, as long as it's not ridiculously small it will still do for the odd frame of snooker

Comment

I use a 9.5mm tip for pool and snooker. I play mostly pool but play snooker 3 times a month.
      You can get away with playing pool with a bigger tip more so than playing snooker with a smaller tip IMHO.
      I also think it depends a lot on ability. If you are an average or below player definitely head towards the bigger tip size.
      I've heard people say you need a small tip to play pool i.e. 9mm and smaller but I find that total rubbish. With decent cueing you should be able to play all the shots anyway.
      Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

I'm not saying all pool players are cheap (someone i know knows a lad who used to play with a guy who once bought a round!) but you never get a snooker player asking this question, because the answer is buy 2 cues of very similar specs or a cue with 2 shafts. That is of course if you want to play either to a reasonable standard, if not go with what suits your main game and use a rack cue for the other few games.
        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
          I'm not saying all pool players are cheap (someone i know knows a lad who used to play with a guy who once bought a round!) but you never get a snooker player asking this question, because the answer is buy 2 cues of very similar specs or a cue with 2 shafts. That is of course if you want to play either to a reasonable standard, if not go with what suits your main game and use a rack cue for the other few games.
          I don't think there is any need to buy two cues. 9.5mm is perfectly adequate for both games IMO (even 9mm).
          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

Tip Sizes

I'm the same as you, play pool 4-5 times a week and snooker once a week max. I use 9mm and it works perfectly. It's a woolridge.

Comment

I have used 8.5 mm for both pool and snooker , but if I am not cueing centre ball I tend to revert to 9 - 9.25 mm for both disciplines .

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been looking for a new 8.5mm cue but think I might just go for 9mm snooker cue, can .5mm really make much difference :-)

Comment

Tip Sizes

The new pool balls pro cups are heavier anyway so 9mm feels smaller than before.

Comment

Second what aucott says , Prpo Cups are heavier and if you are not cueing centre ball that 0.5 mm does make a difference . I believe it also makes a difference as to how you play versus tip size . i.e. do you play a lot of stun and soft screw shots and cannons to keep the white in the centre of the table and under control as much as possible or do you use " roll " type shots and the weight of the cue ball and trajectory off the cushions , for a more open game , to decide cue ball position . Soft stun , screw and cannon is easier with a smaller tip , if you havent got perfect cueing , rolling balls in and using top or running side is easier with a larger tip and you dont need perfect cueing. That said I know people who play snooker with tips below 8 mm and pool ( english ) with 10 - 11 mm tips and if your timing and cueing is good so is your ball control. My advice is find a happy medium and practice , then stick to it.

Comment

The answer this depends really on how good you are, IMHO. If you're a very good pool player - or you want to become one - you need an 8mm or 8.5mm tip. There are certain shot you just can't play with a larger tip with such a small white ball. Also you'd normally want a lighter cue for 8-ball than for snooker.
                      The thing is that it is harder with a smaller tip because of extra unwanted side you can put on the ball. This should encourage you to spend time working on your cue action so you can cue straight and strike the white consistently.
                      Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with, but I'd strongly advise getting a proper 8-ball cue with a smaller tip and persevering with it if you're serious about the game.

Comment

not one player in my county team use a tip less than 9mm (off top of my head). i personally use 10mm and never struggle manoeuvring the white. timcunnel what shot cannot be played with a 10mm tip whereas 8-8.5 can?

Comment

The smaller the tip the greater the spin you can impart on the white. That's fairly obvious. So - it comes down to how well you can cue, but for good 8-ball players it is generally considered that cue-ball control is the most important thing. Potting is a given really on a table that size. If you go to the EPA or IPA finals you'll only see 8-ball cues with small tips.

Comment

Disagree with that you've got to play with a small tip when playing 8 Ball. I personally use a 9MM tip and can do everything with the cue ball that I could do with a smaller tip- I know quite a few top 8 Ball players that use a 9MM tip or bigger (who play in Yarmouth at the EPA finals)

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                              If you're a very good pool player - or you want to become one - you need an 8mm or 8.5mm tip. There are certain shot you just can't play with a larger tip with such a small white ball.

Sorry, but I've got to disagree with the first bit of the quote above.

Mark Boyle is ranked #1 in Scotland at Blackball, and uses a 9mm tip.

Can't think of any shots he couldn't play that he could with a smaller tip ( that are relevant to matchplay ).

I'd have thought the smaller tip is for people who don't time the ball so well ( like me ),

and that's why they can't play some shots with a 9mm tip .

Only my opinion though.

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                              Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with
                              This seems to contradict the opening quote, but is surely closer to the truth. .

Comment

Working...
                              X