X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world cup of pool

Anybody been watching this?

world cup of pool

for about 2 minutes. .....then switched over. please tell me where the skill is in the break off shot...

Comment

No but I heard USA were knocked out by Qatar. Also Australia were ahead 5-3 and lost 5-7 to the UK.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

The americans reckon they know how to 'read' the gaps in the rack which allows them to adjust their break accordingly to give them more chance of potting. Apparently they will share this knowledge for the small sum of $10,000

Must admit the game does look incredibly easy with how big the pockets are but surely this must be deceiving given that the prize money is pretty decent. Key to a good player seems to be consistancy and quick tactical thinking

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
          ...please tell me where the skill is in the break off shot...
          At getting the break legal, not going in-off, potting any ball and getting the position on a lowest numbered ball. Looks dead easy.
          I've played this 9b game for years, but have never been able to play decent break off shot with any consistency. Stay still on the shot, power is pathetic. You try to whack it very hard, and there comes too much movement and unwanted side, you don't hit the 1 ball square...cue ball flies off the table...horrible. At least, those were always my problems. Many much better players than me have not been able to break well either.

Comment

Originally Posted by thommo335 View Post
            for about 2 minutes. .....then switched over. please tell me where the skill is in the break off shot...
            Breaking off well in snooker is considerably easier than getting the 9ball break right. It looks like the players are just whacking it and hoping for the best, but they're not. At this level if you don't break off correctly you usually lose the rack, simple as that.

Comment

Originally Posted by jimev View Post
              The americans reckon they know how to 'read' the gaps in the rack which allows them to adjust their break accordingly to give them more chance of potting. ...
              Why are there any gaps ?? why don't they try setting the balls up correctly then !!!

Comment

9 ball looks easy but its not, yes the pockets are massive but the weight of the balls plays its part aswell as the cloths being so fast, the skill in the break is getting the split right so you can run out, might look like hit and hope but try it yourselfs, its alot harder than you think, the game is all about position

Comment

9 ball is a lot more fun and tactical than 8 ball imo.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                    Originally Posted by jimev View Post
                    The americans reckon they know how to 'read' the gaps in the rack which allows them to adjust their break accordingly to give them more chance of potting. ...
                    Why are there any gaps ?? why don't they try setting the balls up correctly then !!!
                    LOL its not just the Americans. 9ball is all about breaking consistently and safety play in the balls. I thought they went back to using the wooden triangle from the magic triangle because the latter was to easy to break off consistently with. Probably wrong though only follow the game when it's on sky.

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                      LOL its not just the Americans. 9ball is all about breaking consistently and safety play in the balls. I thought they went back to using the wooden triangle from the magic triangle because the latter was to easy to break off consistently with. Probably wrong though only follow the game when it's on sky.
                      It depends on the tournament whether they use the magic rack or not.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        They do. Over and over and over. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

But there are ALWAYS gaps.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                          At getting the break legal, not going in-off, potting any ball and getting the position on a lowest numbered ball. Looks dead easy.
                          I've played this 9b game for years, but have never been able to play decent break off shot with any consistency. Stay still on the shot, power is pathetic. You try to whack it very hard, and there comes too much movement and unwanted side, you don't hit the 1 ball square...cue ball flies off the table...horrible. At least, those were always my problems. Many much better players than me have not been able to break well either.
                          Watch Efren Rayes on youtube. That's your answer. He doesn't overhit the break off shot but cues it really well with force from the side of the table, usually the right side. He has a sweet stroke.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                            Watch Efren Rayes on youtube. That's your answer. He doesn't overhit the break off shot but cues it really well with force from the side of the table, usually the right side. He has a sweet stroke.
                            Efren is not known for having a great break at all. There are better guys to study for break.
                            But I've never really practised this shot to be honest. Never had the patience to rack the balls over and over again. It is so tedious and not really for me. I guess I've always been a snooker player at heart.

Comment

Which channel is this on, anyone? Just looked on all the Sky Sports channel for today and i can't see it?
                              After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Working...
                              X