Help with tip and chalk for UK 8 ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    LOL, glad someone else said that, spot on. Why do Pioneer make this hard chalk that doesn't bind to a tip? They must know it's crap and leads to loads of mis-cues, so why make it that bad? Is it really bad because it is so cheap?
    It's a good point that you've brought up. I don't know why anyone would choose to buy that stuff so why do they still think it's smart to produce it?

Comment

I managed to buy one cube of the Silvercup chalk from a friend down at the snooker club, and I have to say I really don't like the chalk. Not sure if it's the way they dye the chalk but it was very streaky in colour, it also felt like I couldn't generate as much spin with this chalk, just felt like it wasn't gripping the cue ball as well as triangle chalk. I'm now going to buy some masters chalk to give that ago to see how it feels.

A little update on how i seem to have reduced the amount of kicks I get, before my cue action was kind of stab at the ball instead of having a nice long follow through, since I've changed I seem to have lots less kicks, and just generally smoother play.

Comment

Any opinions on laminated tips in pool??

I have had my cue repaired and thought I'd ask for a laminated tip to try out. I don't know much about them, but it is very hard.

Traditionally I just throw on a blue diamond and play. I was able to play deep screw shots, perfect stuns with next to no effort.

With the laminated in finding those feely shots are a little bit more forced, and to get reaction takes more cueing and in general, have to over hit things to get the same reaction as before.

This isn't necessarily bad, sometimes with blue diamond I was overscrewing, over stunning. With this laminated there's a little more forgiving as its not so sensitive. But bloody annoying when you need to put a bit extra effort into those feely shots.

Is this the general feel of the tip??

Comment

Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post

I have had my cue repaired and thought I'd ask for a laminated tip to try out. I don't know much about them, but it is very hard.

Traditionally I just throw on a blue diamond and play. I was able to play deep screw shots, perfect stuns with next to no effort.

With the laminated in finding those feely shots are a little bit more forced, and to get reaction takes more cueing and in general, have to over hit things to get the same reaction as before.

This isn't necessarily bad, sometimes with blue diamond I was overscrewing, over stunning. With this laminated there's a little more forgiving as its not so sensitive. But bloody annoying when you need to put a bit extra effort into those feely shots.

I like laminated tips a lot more than pressed ones when playing pool, I find the shots to be a lot easier with laminated tips.

I think you should try out a range of tips and see what they all feel like for you. You may have a particularly hard tip at the moment that is too hard for the lighter UK pool cue ball. I'm currently trying out the ADR147 super soft and I'm getting along with it very well. But it sounded like you were getting along with blue diamond just perfectly so maybe you don't need to change anything!

Comment

Originally Posted by nuts00 View Post

Laminated - try an ADR 147 soft . Pressed tip - Buffalo diamond plus.

I really like the ADR tips ,positive hit ,keep there shape and last ages but don't quite get the same control as a BD+. I am torn between the two.

Comment

I'm happy that you started playing again and that too 30 hours per week. In order to stay away from wearing you pool cue tip, I suggest you to shape you pool cue. Now, the question comes how often? It depends. Now, you're playing for 30 hours per week. I would suggest at least alternate days will be good so that you will less invest in replacing on pool cue tips. Also, if you need more help in shaping pool cue tip. This is the article for you to get started shaping cue tip and start playing comfortably.

Comment

Working...
              X