Advice from builders on a drive way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from builders on a drive way

Hi, I know there are folk on here with the knowledge to help me. I'm making the front garden into a drive but it's on a slope so I have used railway sleeper to square the height off, what I want to know is will posts concreted in ,butted up against a concrete path then hardcore whacked in ,take the strain and weight , I know the sleepers will. Thanks any advice welcomed. The slope is squared with just one sleeper on its side, so the post only has ten inches above the ground.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Hi, I know there are folk on here with the knowledge to help me. I'm making the front garden into a drive but it's on a slope so I have used railway sleeper to square the height off, what I want to know is will posts concreted in ,butted up against a concrete path then hardcore whacked in ,take the strain and weight , I know the sleepers will. Thanks any advice welcomed. The slope is squared with just one sleeper on its side, so the post only has ten inches above the ground.
    Not sure if I've visualised your problem correctly . But yes it sounds like that will be fine . Hardcore isn't like water where you fill a space with water it will push out on the sides of its enclosure trying to level itself . Hardcore and dirt has very little outward push especially when compacted .

Comment

P.s I'm not a builder but I leveled my back garden similar to yourself and this was the advice I was given

My brother in law had a very steep garden and his was leveled using those wire baskets filled with stones

Comment

Cheers Catch, it was with the added weight of the car on it, I was a bit worried but it's quite a big area so the forces should be spread out, I thought I would be ok just thought I'd check, although it's a bit late if it Isn't as the fence is down ,the turfs off ,the gardens levelled (ish) and most of the post holes are dug , will have the hardcore and whacker plate next week.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Cheers Catch, it was with the added weight of the car on it, I was a bit worried but it's quite a big area so the forces should be spread out, I thought I would be ok just thought I'd check, although it's a bit late if it Isn't as the fence is down ,the turfs off ,the gardens levelled (ish) and most of the post holes are dug , will have the hardcore and whacker plate next week.
          I've got 3 ton of hardcore here that is to be shoveled into my back garden next weekend ready for the artificial grass . Just me and a wheelbarrow ....great

Comment

I'm the same , it will be three to four tonne by hand when it's delivered, not looking forward to it. I did two ton for the dog kennels ,wheeled from the front gate right to the end of the back garden and that was twenty years ago, and that was pretty tough, the good thing is I won't have to barrow this as it will be dumped right beside where it's going.

Comment

whenever i have done brick weave or slab work to someones drive i have always used edging curbs concreted in so id assume a railway sleeper concreted in would be ok.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                P.s I'm not a builder but I leveled my back garden similar to yourself and this was the advice I was given

My brother in law had a very steep garden and his was leveled using those wire baskets filled with stones
                gabian baskets

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                  gabian baskets

That's the one

Comment

Was at screwfix today and had a look at those baskets, look a handy thing in the right place.

Comment

they are, when the company i used to work for were building a new relief road through town we had to re-direct a brook and a lot of it was good firm digging but we came to one spot where water off the top was washing the new bank away and leading it to collapse so we got gabians installed and they allow the rainwater through while retaining some of the backfill.

Comment

Just had are garden paved by a firm as my garden needed a big digger too level it all out..

Comment

Working...
                        X