Snooker room / garden room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by reggiemal View Post
    Cheers Mark! You are a star.....and a credible one at that(15 years planning officer)!!!

One last question (I was saving this!!) we are digging the garden down and building the outbuilding underneath the decking of the house. Basically, the decking will be resting on the roof of the outbuilding!

We have structural engineer and building regs all supervising and checking every calculation and part of the build, so no issues there.

However, does having a decking on top of the outbuilding impact us getting it done under PD?
    Phone your local planning department about that. Different councils interpret things differently. There is a 'general' section in the GDPO about engineering works etc. Some councils say excavations of more than 1m fall under this, others don't. There is also a provision that a decking over 30cm above ground level is considered a raised platform, and falls under the same definition as a balcony, which is excluded under permitted development. Your circumstances are fairly unusual/unique, so I wouldn't want to mislead you based on what my council does.

Comment

• Thanks Mark!

Comment

Thanks Mark!
        No worries. I'm inclined to say you're fine with what you're doing, but emailing a plan or photos to your local planners will give you better peace of mind.

Comment

• What if they say no!

Comment

What if they say no!
            PM me if you have any trouble. Off the record, there's usually a simple solution (definitely not loop hole!) to get around some planning legislation.

Comment

• Thanks! Appreciate it!

Comment

We are 2 metres away from the boundary and less than 50% of the garden. To get the 2.4m internal height, we will have to go a bit higher than 2.5. That’s ok right?
                Never really got this. If the average is 2.4 to the ceiling height and you have a sloping flay roof you have no hope of being under 2.5 metres height on the outside if within 2m of the boundary!
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  Never really got this. If the average is 2.4 to the ceiling height and you have a sloping flay roof you have no hope of being under 2.5 metres height on the outside if within 2m of the boundary!
                  You either have to accept a lower head height, or drop the floor down inside so you have a step down just inside the door. Most people go for a flat roof if they want to build close to the boundary.

Or you can apply for planning permission for higher, but the trade off is local planning policy probably wouldn't allow as generous a floor area as what you can do without planning. It's one of the perculiarities of the planning system for householders.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                    You either have to accept a lower head height, or drop the floor down inside so you have a step down just inside the door. Most people go for a flat roof if they want to build close to the boundary.

Or you can apply for planning permission for higher, but the trade off is local planning policy probably wouldn't allow as generous a floor area as what you can do without planning. It's one of the perculiarities of the planning system for householders.
                    I'd like to see the dimensions around the ceiling height to get the light the right distance from the table and also a slope on the roof whilst under 2.5m. I'm kicking the tyres of a room at the moment but would like to go ahead at some point.
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Work has started! The roof of the building have the decking on it. In other words, the snooker room will be under the decking!

Comment

• For some reason the pics didn't upload. Here they are:

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• now that's some serious work being done there. Hope it turns outs smashing mate

Originally Posted by reggiemal View Post
                          For some reason the pics didn't upload. Here they are:

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Doing great job bro, You deserve appriciation. ☕️
                            Caption

Comment

Working...
                            X