My other interest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
    1/2p ehh, them were the days lol, my son throws 1p, 2p, 5p and even 10p away, i'm forever telling him to stick them in a jar
    one of my sons did the same!
    then I told him of a friend who saved every 20p in a bottle, he counted them up, £660!
    now my son has jars for each denomination
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      one of my sons did the same!
      then I told him of a friend who saved every 20p in a bottle, he counted them up, £660!
      now my son has jars for each denomination
      Yeah i save 1p, 2p, and 5p, they usually build up to pay for Xmas food shopping

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        Why did the cartridge and stylus cost £300? I remember the good old days of ruining records with a 2p stuck on the cartridge, most Dj's wouldn't even know what a turntable is these days, I'm not sure why being a DJ is still a thing TBH.
        Its a moving coil cartridge which doesn't have a replaceable stylus. It was originally £500 but I bought it as an old model (after I decided to play some records late one night whilst slightly inebriated, no mistake, £300 mistake!).

This is the cheaper end of moving coil cartridges. They go as high as £8k and need a special £6k step up transformer on top to produce a big enough signal!

Snooker is a cheap hobby. I've just joined a club in Sheffield for £174 for 24/7 access to a table until next April. Nice place, friendly and if I play 4 hours a week its 80p a hour!

Comment

Nice looking system you have there. Is the tt a Sony PS 8750 ?. Pretty impressive numbers on the speakers too. Can't beat valves when vinyl's involved. I have a valve pre feeding 2x mono power amps.

Comment

Originally Posted by rich123 View Post
            Nice looking system you have there. Is the tt a Sony PS 8750 ?. Pretty impressive numbers on the speakers too. Can't beat valves when vinyl's involved. I have a valve pre feeding 2x mono power amps.
            It's a PS-6750 fitted with an AT-OC9 ml2, the Sony is an impressive bit of kit for something 40 years old, the arm has a 1 piece carbon composite S shaped arm with quality gimbal bearings and a SME fit headshell connection. It is far better than a Technics 1200 even after they've had a few mods. My next project is to build a replacement bottom plinth, which is fairly lightweight at the moment, out of4 pieces of 25mm birch ply. Hopefully this will help dampen any vibrations even more but can easily be returned to the original base if it (a) doesn't work or (b) I decide to sell it!

I'm currently reviewing a hybrid amp which has 2 valves in the isolated pre-amp section and the power amp section is a chipamp of some description, massive offboard power supply as well. Valves in the pre-amp are probably the best use of them to my mind, valve power amps can sound great but need such massive transformers to sound good that the cost rockets, I've heard a lot of good class A power amps that have been lifted to the next level by the change from a SS pre to valve pre (I would say that though as my speakers were designed with low power valve amps in mind)....

Comment

I must admit I'm not a big Technics fan when it comes to tt's, I think you either love em or hate them. The whole Hi Fi thing is definitely a labour of love but good to see folks like yourself who are positively designing gear because of their love of music and the means in which it is reproduced ...I wish you every success with your speakers and hope your new plinth has positive results ..

Comment

Working...
              X