IPA final : Mark Boyle vs Marc Farnsworth : 10pm Start tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Speed cloth is awful, doesn't belong on English pool tables.
    I agree with you Dave.

I made a school boy error Last week where I had a Strachan Pro fitted to my table & believe me it's like playing on ice, to the point unplayable at times, it makes the Simonis cloth look like a slow cloth.

It reminds me of an Air Hockey game.

End of May I have booked in a change of cloth where I'm going back to the 6811.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      I take it you never watched it then ?
      I'm not a pool fan at all but I watched the link, it was over very very very quick, one rack took around 35 seconds I believe, no messing about

No. Farnsworth bores me to death. Fewer boyles and farnsworths and more Jordan Sheppards and Shaun Chipperfields please!

If ever a game called for a 20 second stop clock, it's English pool. And world rules should be banished from the face of the earth...

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Ohh you must of missed 2nd post, it was a Church playing not Farnsworth

No, it was a joke.

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
          I agree with you Dave.

I made a school boy error Last week where I had a Strachan Pro fitted to my table & believe me it's like playing on ice, to the point unplayable at times, it makes the Simonis cloth look like a slow cloth.

It reminds me of an Air Hockey game.

End of May I have booked in a change of cloth where I'm going back to the 6811.

I thought the speed cloth they use for black ball was simonis?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            It is Simonis.

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
              It is Simonis.
              The ipa cloth is kind of a hybrid made by Simonis, it's neither a traditional knapped cloth or a speed cloth.

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                Speed cloth is awful, doesn't belong on English pool tables.
                Disagree 100%
                That's your right to disagree, the balls for English pool are too light for it, the balls skid too much and don't roll true, leave it where it belongs on American pool tables

Comment

That's your right to disagree, the balls for English pool are too light for it, the balls skid too much and don't roll true, leave it where it belongs on American pool tables
                  Agree with you Dave... Superfast cloths and light balls simply aid players with crap cue actions who are suddenly able to generate tons of spin without having any kind of technique.
                  The pro cups catch me out everytime I go from snooker to pool, you play a stun and screw the ball back a foot, absolute tosh!
                  "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                    Agree with you Dave... Superfast cloths and light balls simply aid players with crap cue actions who are suddenly able to generate tons of spin without having any kind of technique.
                    The pro cups catch me out everytime I go from snooker to pool, you play a stun and screw the ball back a foot, absolute tosh!
                    Tbh you should be able to screw a ball the length of the table on any playing surface that's on a pool table.
                    Pool tables with a brand new napped cloth is just a center ball bore fest for me, it's no wonder Sky pulled the plug on it.
                    IPA are doing the right thing imo

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                      Tbh you should be able to screw a ball the length of the table on any playing surface that's on a pool table.
                      Pool tables with a brand new napped cloth is just a center ball bore fest for me, it's no wonder Sky pulled the plug on it.
                      IPA are doing the right thing imo
                      He can screw it back on any cloth on a pool table - so can I - what Dave and him are saying is a speed cloth makes the game harder to control the white as the balls are lighter and cloth too slippy therefore if you stun the ball can come back and its harder to play the right positional shots and have any control or trust on the white - its like playing with a ping pong ball on ice. You need to be able to trust the table so I too agree with Tom and Dave.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        He can screw it back on any cloth on a pool table - so can I - what Dave and him are saying is a speed cloth makes the game harder to control the white as the balls are lighter and cloth too slippy therefore if you stun the ball can come back and its harder to play the right positional shots and have any control or trust on the white - its like playing with a ping pong ball on ice. You need to be able to trust the table so I too agree with Tom and Dave.
                        I've got a little bit of finesse to my game whether it be snooker, golf or whatever sport but I always feel heavy handed playing pool with light balls and overly quick cloths.

Comment

mr boyle seemed to have the white exactly where he wanted it. Must be extra finesse.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                            mr boyle seemed to have the white exactly where he wanted it. Must be extra finesse.
                            He's just brilliant at pool and a very good snooker player. I suppose it helps if you do nothing but play pool too, kind of helps you to get used to the way the balls/tables play.
                            The balls are still too light though, they're a leveller for people with shocking technique.

Comment

No. Farnsworth bores me to death. Fewer boyles and farnsworths and more Jordan Sheppards and Shaun Chipperfields please!

If ever a game called for a 20 second stop clock, it's English pool. And world rules should be banished from the face of the earth...
                              I don't like billiards but I don't want that banished from the face of the earth, I just choose not to play it!!
                              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

I love billiards but am not goid at it. For me the challenge is to get to where you know the correct shot to play

Comment

Working...
                                X