Alex Higgins "in the eye of the Hurricane - my story" review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Higgins "in the eye of the Hurricane - my story" review

I won the book in a TSF competition, I promised a review, so here it is.

Foreword. I said it before: Alex Higgins is my least favourite player. Reading the book hasn't changed my mind ... much.

The book itself is very well written and I think it's a pity Sean Boru didn't get more recognition for the work done. Although Alex life is far from being a happy one the story as told is full of hilarious episodes and humour, dark brand of it more often than not. I quite enjoyed it.

It retraces Alex's life, more or less in a chronological way, with some important chapters devoted to his marriage and relationship with Lynn. It certainly throws light on Alex background and personality...

What I gather of it is that Alex was and still is mainly the cause of his own problems. A much loved boy who was never taugh discipline and never accepted anything but his own ways and has a very high perception of himself. Although he doesn't deny behaving badly in many occasions the main motto of the book is " I wan't that bad, it's not my fault..." OK I oversimplify, but that's really the main feeling I got reading through it. And as a matter of facts Alex never really attempted to change his ways - he expected the others to support him and accept him the way he was - and exhausted the patience of many who tried to help him.
    Of course he paid the price, a very high one. But somehow he's still in his delusion.

He has a point though regarding the WPBSA. Although in my opinion the authorities had all reasons to punish him for his behaviours and actually showed a lot of patience before having had enough of him, it isn't healthy, neither fair, for the same organisation to be the players association, the authorities in charge and the disciplinary body all at the same time. Conflict of interests are inevitable with such a setup and Alex, like others btw, certainly has on occasions be the victim of it.

The other interesting aspect of the book is the light it throws of the reality of the snooker player's life away from the lime lights. The many hours hanging around in shabby venues, the long trips by road and trains, the depressing hotels, the many days away from home, the late nights, the temptations, the struggle for money when not at the top, the sicophants, the sometimes dishonest managers ripping you off ... All this is taking it's toll on the guys and certainly exposes them to higher risks of going off the rails.

Finally there is also the difficult relationship with the press and its consequencies. Lack of privacy in difficult moments being the most disturbing one.

All in all I certainly recommend the reading.
    Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
    http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Alex Higgins was the Blueprint of a Snooker Player Superstar.....He Was the First Player to have that thrown on him...ive got a Video "Hurricane Higgins" a documentary following the life of Alex Higgins it was a 1972 or 1973 ITV Documentary when you think how little if no snooker was shown then and players wasent as famous as they are now to have a ITV Documentary about your life only a year after turning profesional and being World Champion just shows the impact this guy had on people and the sport...

Alex has done wrong in his life theres no doubt about that but also his reputation caught him out...theres no doubt people wanted to cash in Alex Higgins from Managers to the public wanting to sell stories to the press "Alex Higgins punched me" sort of story but because of his reputation the blame for the fight fell on his shoulders not on the person that gouded him to react (infact my story on 606 lol)..

i was a fan of his as a kid stil am and i didnt like anyone to say a bad word about him but as i grew up i realised a lot was his fault in later life but i also believe the bitterness of having people taking advantage of him in his youth has taken it toll and now he blames everyone for what has gone on in his life...

Comment

I read the book recently too, and enjoyed it from start to finish..

Anyone fancy a copy of the book, you can buy it from amazon brand new on hardcover or paperback for 1p plus postage and packing.

Comment

i only know what ive read and seen, so maybe i do not know what im talking about, but to me it seems a shame that he didnt find a more suitable and supportive wife than his Lynne.

On one of the Higgins videos after he wins the 1982 world championships she says "oh no and now the troubles will really begin". Couldnt possibly be any more negative than that could she, with hubby on top of the world. Also she whinges about how Alex would like a drink in the evenings, but she never wanted to join him (too boring for him). She also whinges about how Alex would lounge around in the mornings reading the newspapers and maybe having a can or two. Wow so he was a bit self-indulgent. Big deal. If Alex had had a better matched and more supportive wife, rather than a nagging, negative whinger things might have been very different for him...
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Alex Higgins happens to be my very favourite player, the best player of his era and probably the best the game has seen.
          Might have had a very different life if his beloved Burwatt Champion cue, that was a part of his arm, didn't break after his 1972 world title. I believe that his frustration with finding a cue and the never ending media attention he got drove him to drink. Unfortunately he believed his own publicity and was an absolute ******* when drunk.
          His problem in the modern game, especially the world championships, was that his concentration was very fragile so the two table situation didn't suit him at all.

He should be remembered like George Best, a fantastic exponent of his chosen profession and the ultimate entertainer, his personality problems were the concern of his family and friends and no one else.

Comment

Guys, I'm not denying Alex Higgins for what he did to put snooker alight. But I'm a woman and I know I wouldn't want him for an hour in my life irrelevant of what he could have offered me of a life standard. Some things are just not acceptable whatever the price. And believe me, of all snooker players he's the only one I would say that with 100% followed Bill Weberniuk, Kirk Stevens and Quinten Hahn at 99% ... Tony Knowles being only 98%

I even could deal with Shaun Murphy It says it all ...

PS. Sorry Shaun, I know you are a very decent man but ... a bit to rigid for my tastes. At least your public persona is.
            Last edited by Monique; 2 November 2008, 08:20 PM.
            Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
            http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
              Guys, I'm not denying Alex Higgins for what he did to put snooker alight. But I'm a woman and I know I wouldn't want him for an hour in my life irrelevant of what he could have offered me of a life standard. Some things are just not acceptable whatever the price. And believe me, of all snooker players he's the only one I would say that with 100% followed Bill Weberniuk, Kirk Stevens and Quinten Hahn at 99% ... Tony Knowles being only 98%

I even could deal with Shaun Murphy It says it all ...

PS. Sorry Shaun, I know you are a very decent man but ... a bit to rigid for my tastes. At least your public persona is.
              I suppose you are talking about Alex,s numerous affairs mon? Bills drinking, and kirk and quintens habits too, i understand..

but what on earth did that good looking Tony knowles do wrong?

Comment

I won the book in a TSF competition, I promised a review, so here it is.

Foreword. I said it before: Alex Higgins is my least favourite player. Reading the book hasn't changed my mind ... much.

The book itself is very well written and I think it's a pity Sean Boru didn't get more recognition for the work done. Although Alex life is far from being a happy one the story as told is full of hilarious episodes and humour, dark brand of it more often than not. I quite enjoyed it.

It retraces Alex's life, more or less in a chronological way, with some important chapters devoted to his marriage and relationship with Lynn. It certainly throws light on Alex background and personality...

What I gather of it is that Alex was and still is mainly the cause of his own problems. A much loved boy who was never taugh discipline and never accepted anything but his own ways and has a very high perception of himself. Although he doesn't deny behaving badly in many occasions the main motto of the book is " I wan't that bad, it's not my fault..." OK I oversimplify, but that's really the main feeling I got reading through it. And as a matter of facts Alex never really attempted to change his ways - he expected the others to support him and accept him the way he was - and exhausted the patience of many who tried to help him.
                Of course he paid the price, a very high one. But somehow he's still in his delusion.

He has a point though regarding the WPBSA. Although in my opinion the authorities had all reasons to punish him for his behaviours and actually showed a lot of patience before having had enough of him, it isn't healthy, neither fair, for the same organisation to be the players association, the authorities in charge and the disciplinary body all at the same time. Conflict of interests are inevitable with such a setup and Alex, like others btw, certainly has on occasions be the victim of it.

The other interesting aspect of the book is the light it throws of the reality of the snooker player's life away from the lime lights. The many hours hanging around in shabby venues, the long trips by road and trains, the depressing hotels, the many days away from home, the late nights, the temptations, the struggle for money when not at the top, the sicophants, the sometimes dishonest managers ripping you off ... All this is taking it's toll on the guys and certainly exposes them to higher risks of going off the rails.

Finally there is also the difficult relationship with the press and its consequencies. Lack of privacy in difficult moments being the most disturbing one.

All in all I certainly recommend the reading.
                Boll Borrow's unauthorised biography, The Hurricane, is better IMHO.

Comment

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
                  I suppose you are talking about Alex,s numerous affairs mon? Bills drinking, and kirk and quintens habits too, i understand..

but what on earth did that good looking Tony knowles do wrong?

More to the point what did that nice Quinten Hann do wrong? According to wikipedia his mother raised him not to beat women! You can't go wrong with a lad with that sort of upbringing

Comment

Quinten Hann

Templeton - What did Quinten do wrong. As a junior he was banned twice. Once for spitting in the face of the mother of an opponent and when told at a Lithgoe Club he couldn't enter a poker machine area ,he told the steward to get f_____ and went in and started playing. His mother took him out of school at an early age and he had home classes while practising eight hours a day.Why wouldn't that stuff you up not having any interaction during your formative years. Then of course theres the reason that the newspaper set him up, that as a top twenty player, he played a first round match against someone who hadn't won a match in years and all the money came for that player. Of course he lost and the bookies took a bath. Being from Wagga Wagga Australia his home town and as president of the local association being asked when he returned from Queensland if I could find a place for him to practice as he was only eleven and couldn't get into any of the local clubs, I can tell you a lot of other stories. He might be a great snooker player but he doesn't deserve to be let back in.Snooker doesn't need him.

Comment

Originally Posted by pearce View Post
                      He might be a great snooker player
                      mmmmmm thats even doubtfull lol

Comment

I enjoy watching Alex Higgins, what a talent!
                        Kirk Steve is another one of my favorite!
                        I dont know them personally, and dont really like to judge them anyway. I am not perfect either you know.
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

It's a good point

I know one thing to be true: there has never been anyone capable of creating the sort of excitement Alex did when he walked into an arena

There was always an edge of tension around and some of the shots he played were incredible

Comment

Originally Posted by In-off View Post
                            It's a good point

I know one thing to be true: there has never been anyone capable of creating the sort of excitement Alex did when he walked into an arena

There was always an edge of tension around and some of the shots he played were incredible

You are so right mate.....I used to save my annual holiday each year to drive over to Manchester to watch the world championships (before Crucible days) just to see Alex Higgins play. To this day I have still never seen some of his spectacular shots repeated by anyone else in the game!!

Oldgit
                            'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Think there are quite some ladies who are not waiting for a 9 to 5 male, Monique. I could tell you stories........

I agree with vmaxsteve, the george best in snooker. Poor social background, not having a lot when young, the stardom, the limelight, the booze. I wonder whether Higgins would have won anything more when having a different up growing. I dont think so. The snooker was a way for him to shine, and the 69 clearance in 1982 was outstanding

Guys, I'm not denying Alex Higgins for what he did to put snooker alight. But I'm a woman and I know I wouldn't want him for an hour in my life.......

Comment

Working...
                              X