Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Hunt & O'Byrne 3/4 Cue

Guys

I have a 3/4 Hunt & O'Byrne cue that many people have wanted to buy from me. I bought it from Elephant & Castle circa 1985, it's so long ago I can't remember the exact year. Anyway it is ash with ebony butt. It also has an extension all supplied from Hunt & O'Byrne in a Green leather 3/4 Cheddar Classic leather case.

I wanted to post a picture of the plate as this may help some of the aficianados identify the exact make but I am not sure how to upload pictures?? I have to do it with a URL to Photobucket so I apologise for the image size.

I used to play a lot of snooker and one day I went up to Elephant & Castle was measured by (not sure if it was Hunt or O'Byrne) and some months later they gave me the hand made cue. I must admit I think they were a relatively new business back then but they were great guys and I had a great time there.

Anyway, I have decided to explore how much this thing might be worth. I don't play anymore so I might sell it. My other half says she wants me to keep it as an heirloom for my son...I am not sure what to do?

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks to all

Dave

Were 3/4's around in 1985? I thought cues from this period would be centre jointed? If genuine it would fetch a good price. Case alone would be worth having.

Comment

You could let your son try it out and if he likes it then it's his, if not then you could sell it and get him a top custom cue made to his spec. and you may still have some left over.
      I would imagine it may sell for quite a high price if it is in good condition.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
        Were 3/4's around in 1985? I thought cues from this period would be centre jointed? If genuine it would fetch a good price. Case alone would be worth having.
        I can assure you it is 100% genuine and would stand up to any scrutiny. I could be slightly wrong on the date but it would 85 86 or 87 as I was working for a particular company and I remember driving the new company car. When did Hunt & O'Byrne start/finish their business? I thought Jimmy White was using a 3/4 Hunt & O'Byrne around that time?

When I used to play at a local club I was always being asked if I would sell it. The offers never stopped and even now when I meet old snooker pals they still ask if I have "that cue".

The case is a bit tatty on the outside but the inside is good and it has protected the cue well. The cue is still poker straight.

Comment

Originally Posted by gem View Post
          You could let your son try it out and if he likes it then it's his, if not then you could sell it and get him a top custom cue made to his spec. and you may still have some left over.
          I would imagine it may sell for quite a high price if it is in good condition.
          My son would love it but unfortunately he has autism so his coordination is poor to say the least. He has a Burroughs & Watts that I bought him a few years back.

It's in great condition, no dings or dents. I have always looked after it and it's always been cleaned properly and kept in the case in a good environment.

Do you have any idea of what it's worth?

Comment

Jesus...I nearly fell off my chair

I just found this on EBay Hunt & O'Byrne 3/4 cue

Comment

Originally Posted by daveraybould View Post
              My son would love it but unfortunately he has autism so his coordination is poor to say the least. He has a Burroughs & Watts that I bought him a few years back.

It's in great condition, no dings or dents. I have always looked after it and it's always been cleaned properly and kept in the case in a good environment.

Do you have any idea of what it's worth?

I am sure they stopped trading around the late 80's.
              I would imagine at least £500 if the spec is fairly standard although I am no expert and could be wrong.

Comment

Jesus...I nearly fell off my chair

I just found this on EBay Hunt & O'Byrne 3/4 cue
                There is a few posts on here talking about this Fedia seller, he seems to sell very good cues at a higher price than they would usually sell for along with a nice story about the cue.

Comment

...Do you have any idea of what it's worth?
                  Possibly around the £1000 mark, maybe more on a good day
                  See ebay for a similar one
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
                  This is from a well known "overpricer" , but yours has the advantage of a nice sought after case. If you are prepared to send to Hong Kong say, you will be offered a better price no doubt

Comment

Originally Posted by gem View Post
                    I am sure they stopped trading around the late 80's.
                    I would imagine at least £500 if the spec is fairly standard although I am no expert and could be wrong.
                    Thanks Gem, so they couldn't have been in business that long then?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Possibly around the £1000 mark, maybe more on a good day
                      See ebay for a similar one
                      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
                      This is from a well known "overpricer" , but yours has the advantage of a nice sought after case. If you are prepared to send to Hong Kong say, you will be offered a better price no doubt
                      Wow! I assume they're snooker mad in Hong Kong then?

Out of interest do you know when Hunt & O'Byrne started business? Gem seems to think they possibly finished in the late 80s?

Comment

Hunt & o'byrne was the first hand made cue I bought. Wish I held on to it now

Comment

they were definately still going at xmas 1988

Comment

Wow! I assume they're snooker mad in Hong Kong then?

Out of interest do you know when Hunt & O'Byrne started business? Gem seems to think they possibly finished in the late 80s?
                            Maybe just have too much money
                            Sorry dont know about dates, sure adr147 will know tho

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Maybe just have too much money
                              Sorry dont know about dates, sure adr147 will know tho
                              I can't remember the exact year I bought it, I just checked my job history and it could have been 1984 1985 or 1986. I now know it wasn't 1987 because I left that job mid 1986 and it was my first job with a company car.

I'm sure someone will know more about them.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
                              X