Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip consistency

Hi all,

Changed 3 tips in the last month all having the same issue. Tip expands massively after a few sessions. Just want to know people's thoughts on why this could happen and if I'm tipping it wrong.

Not going to mention brand as I've been using it for a while now.

Video link below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4KpKzCYZNUCxzAj8

That can happen rarely with Elks I think. About half in a box are no good.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
      Not ELKs. One of the premiums brands these days.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post
        Hi all,

Changed 3 tips in the last month all having the same issue. Tip expands massively after a few sessions. Just want to know people's thoughts on why this could happen and if I'm tipping it wrong.

Not going to mention brand as I've been using it for a while now.

Video link below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4KpKzCYZNUCxzAj8
        Are you burnishing the sides? I've heard some people use a tiny bit of superglue on the sides as well, but not tried that myself. When I've had a tip mushroom, I've just retrimmed and burnished, and it doesn't expand again. I think a small amount of mushrooming is quite normal, especially with softer tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

Are you burnishing the sides? I've heard some people use a tiny bit of superglue on the sides as well, but not tried that myself. When I've had a tip mushroom, I've just retrimmed and burnished, and it doesn't expand again. I think a small amount of mushrooming is quite normal, especially with softer tips
          Yeah mate I always burnish the sides. I can understand abit of mushrooming and always retrimmed with a new blade. I'm also using a hard tip but its obviously become soft now lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post

Not ELKs. One of the premiums brands these days.
            Is it a pressed tip or a laminated tip ? As the laminated are slightly harder to fit .

Could be a dodgy batch .........remember some poor consistency with MW Tips . But they were decent the last time that i bought them . Think i have one left from the last lot .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by Neil Taperell View Post

Is it a pressed tip or a laminated tip ? As the laminated are slightly harder to fit .

Could be a dodgy batch .........remember some poor consistency with MW Tips . But they were decent the last time that i bought them . Think i have one left from the last lot .
              Pressed tip. Yeah hoping its just a bad batch.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                I’ve used Elk master for years ,and it’s true you do get a few duds ,not quite half though ,although if you do get a good Elk it’s as good as anything .Years ago one of my snooker mates used blue diamond and he often got tips that used to de laminate to the point you could pull them apart .If I was going to change tips I really would have no idea what to use with the amount of different ones on the market now ,I have tried a pressed Elk last year that someone brought up ,but it was too hard for me ,so I guess a medium type hardness is what I like ,with a bit of over hang on the feral .

Comment

Working...
                X