Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tips for beginners?

Hi,

I would like some recommendations of tips to try for beginners? I appreciate that it is a personal thing and I'd hope to try a few but at least for now I just want to say buy 5x a few that people recommend. I'd imagine Elk Master and Blue Diamond? Thought I'd best check though.

Also, do you buy tips in various sizes? If so, what size do I want? If not, is it possible to "make" them the right size?

Beyond this, are specific tools that are not already mentioned in ADR147 tip thread recommended?

Cheers.

if you want to make them your own size, just fit the tip as normal and cut to size with a stanley knife.

the only tools needed are - stanley knife, file, glue and maybe some 0000 grade wire wool to polish the ferrule if you get scratches on it.
    Last edited by MattCash; 10 February 2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I'd try the buffalo diamond plus tips, I think they're the best at the moment in terms of feel and, most importantly, consistency.
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a selection of Elks, Diamonds and MW tips on the way from ADR147... Now I just wish my cue would turn up... Pretty excited to get hold of it!

Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post
          Thanks for the reply.

I've got a selection of Elks, Diamonds and MW tips on the way from ADR147... Now I just wish my cue would turn up... Pretty excited to get hold of it!

Cheers
          Yes, it might prove to be useful if you want to try out new tips! Lol
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Hi Lavachild,

I've just put a talisman pro soft tip after reading lots about it on the forum, and so far it's helped me and my mate's game in very subtle ways but certainly effective. What do I mean by that? Hmm, well I'm a more attacking player and will always go for the pot (yes silly I know but I do love potting balls ) and what this tip has allowed me to do is to open up different possibilities of positional play which I've never been able to do before, whether it's screwing back, or applying side spin in a consistent manner.

On the latter, I've never managed to pot a ball (even a sitter) with side spin on. I'm sure it's definitely got to do with my technique, but after managing to pot the blue into the middle pocket with side to get down to the cluster of reds it was simply sweet. I do believe it's got to do with the tip, and my mate's safety play has improved tremendously due to the greater "feel" and control he gets from the same tip.

Having said that, I've always only played with whatever tips that came with my cue, and I've not tried any of the others apart from the talisman pro. But it does make me realize what a difference it makes, and the subtlety of it all really lies in the fact that I somehow feel more confident about what I am about to do, without really paying any attention to the tip or any change in my style of play. That I think is very helpful for me, because what you really want is to focus on the pot and play the shot you have in your mind.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the tip hunt!

Best,
            C

Comment

if you havent retipped a cue before, then buy a few cheap elks to practice with before you have a go with any more expensive tips. at 60p a go it doesnt matter if you mess up an elk, but at £5 for a talisman you'll kick yourself!

Comment

Originally Posted by kcohentan View Post
                Hi Lavachild,

I've just put a talisman pro soft tip after reading lots about it on the forum, and so far it's helped me and my mate's game in very subtle ways but certainly effective. What do I mean by that? Hmm, well I'm a more attacking player and will always go for the pot (yes silly I know but I do love potting balls ) and what this tip has allowed me to do is to open up different possibilities of positional play which I've never been able to do before, whether it's screwing back, or applying side spin in a consistent manner.

On the latter, I've never managed to pot a ball (even a sitter) with side spin on. I'm sure it's definitely got to do with my technique, but after managing to pot the blue into the middle pocket with side to get down to the cluster of reds it was simply sweet. I do believe it's got to do with the tip, and my mate's safety play has improved tremendously due to the greater "feel" and control he gets from the same tip.

Having said that, I've always only played with whatever tips that came with my cue, and I've not tried any of the others apart from the talisman pro. But it does make me realize what a difference it makes, and the subtlety of it all really lies in the fact that I somehow feel more confident about what I am about to do, without really paying any attention to the tip or any change in my style of play. That I think is very helpful for me, because what you really want is to focus on the pot and play the shot you have in your mind.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the tip hunt!

Best,
                C
                Ive just started using this tip after 14 years of playing. Max bk 123.
                I find that with these tips, less side is needed to get the same reaction on the cue ball. At least with T.C balls.

Comment

Hi 1lawyer,

Hmm interesting point, though somehow I don't get the throw you mention (which makes sense nonetheless). What certainly makes a difference though is the fact that because it somehow manages to "grip" or "generate" more side without having to hit the extreme edges (which I found out to my chagrin was wrong anyways in hitting side) you don't end up miscuing as much, hitting nicely within the "flesh" of the cue ball and yet getting a very positive response out of it.

That was why I managed to pot firmly with side, since I no longer had to hit way out in the edges of the cue ball, getting my cue parallel to the line of aim, and managing both the pot and the side spin desired. At least that was my own experience. That said, I still miss sitters! Well, with a "self-potting tip" like that you really have no excuse then eh?! That's the only downside of it all!!!

Comment

I'm playing with talisman pro soft tip now too and i do like it. wouldnt nessacarily say its any better than a good elk as far as playability goes... but hofefully it will hold shape better and i wont have to change it often.

My only reason for moving to layered tips is that i always get a slump in form when i retip (while getting the shape right/nocking in/etc.), so hopefully that wont be so often now.

i would deffinately recomend elks to anyone starting out over layered tips.

Comment

Working...
                    X