Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivory Snooker set

Hi all
    first post here looking for some advice, When cleaning up our old snooker room I found a box of Ivory snooker balls the whole set, asked my father who said it came from a popular snooker hall in the locality he asked me to see how much they were worth, Done a lot of online searching but cannot really find anything.. The balls are in better then average condition no huge cracks or anything like that... Where could you sell such items as cannot sell them on eBay i seen.

Thanks All.

search for ox bone - not ivory
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Are you sure thay are ivory? An ivory set would have been very expensive when new, and not the sort of thing you would find in a billiard hall. Public halls invariably used composition (cow-bone) for snooker, right from the earliest days the game was played in England. Post a picture and let's have a look

Comment

Ivory balls have a defined grain in them and the red stain only takes in the grain so the red billiard ball is striped like a pool ball. My guess is that you have a set of Crystalate balls like these

[/url]
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I've got a set of ivory billiard balls that used to belong to my Grandfather. He owned them in the 1930's and don't know where he got them from or if they were new or old. I remember him telling me even back then ivory snooker balls were really uncommon. I guess the price was prohibitive given the number of balls. Also, he told me back then snooker was seen as novelty kind of game compared to billiards. I'll see if I can find out the balls and take a picture

Also, worth noting it illegal to sell anything made of ivory in many countries

Comment

Working...
          X