Laser Tracking System for re-spotting balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Tracking System for re-spotting balls

Just letting everyone know of a new product that is coming to market. LGA Softworks has developed a laser tracking system to assist referees when balls need to be re-spotted on the table due to a foul and miss or disruption in the play.
    Our system works with a video camera and 2 low powered RGB lasers mounted above the table. The camera takes snapshots of the play and should the need arise for the referee to re-spot any balls, the laser will draw circles on the table to indicate where the balls need to be placed. The system is extremely accurate, safe and fast so for players who play at a fast pace, it allows for a better playing experience by not breaking the player's concentration.
    The system will draw a red circle on the table to indicate where the ball needs to be placed. When the referee moves the ball into the proper place, the colour of the laser changes to green to let the referee know the ball is in the correct position.

More information can be found at our website: https://lgasoftworks.com

I actually really like the interaction between the observer the ref and the player and looking at the different camera shots when trying to get it accurately spotted

Comment

Originally Posted by Darren D View Post
      I actually really like the interaction between the observer the ref and the player and looking at the different camera shots when trying to get it accurately spotted
      Darren D, this tool will assist in that process. But ultimately, it does come down to a discussion between the referee and the players as that is the golden rule. It will be a nice tool to have if a referee is suddenly faced with having to position 2,3 or even more balls because of the time spent figuring out where all the balls were before the shot was taken.

Comment

cool something I discussed on here some years ago [knew I should have done a patent or something ]

when you say extremely accurate, what results do you get? Often the pro referees I have spoken to say that the old Eagle-Eye and the Chinese tool were about 2mm tolerance.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

See this years ago, thought it would be commonplace by now now. ££$$$ speaks. Could be a great sponsor.....
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            cool something I discussed on here some years ago [knew I should have done a patent or something ]

when you say extremely accurate, what results do you get? Often the pro referees I have spoken to say that the old Eagle-Eye and the Chinese tool were about 2mm tolerance.
            Dean H, ours is accurate to 1 mm on regular zoom. When you zoom in, the accuracy increases to 0.5 mm.
            Plus you can record all the action on the snooker table into a movie file with a time stamp for logging purposes.

And we have applied for a global patent application on the technology.

The price of lasers has come down dramatically over the years and the system is very affordable for clubs that run amateur tournaments.

One concern we had when we designed the system was the safety of the public regarding the use of lasers.
            We use very low powered lasers and they end up being about 100 times less powerful than a standard laser pointer.
            Most of the light is absorbed by the ball with a little bit being deflected down onto the table. Any light that does reflect is harmless to any spectators, players or referees in attendance.

Comment

At long last. Obviously, the most important thing is that balls are replaced as close to their original position as possible, so that the player is facing the same situation as before they were moved. Personally, I find the aping of The Golden Shot, "up a bit, down a bit, left a bit....." embarrassing.

@LGA Has World Snooker talked to you about using this system?

-
              The fast and the furious,
              The slow and labourious,
              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                @LGA Has World Snooker talked to you about using this system?-
                I was going to ask the very same question
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I was going to ask the very same question
                  Great minds Dean. Lets hope we get an answer, in the affirmative. 🤞 But honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

-
                  The slow and labourious,

Comment

At long last. Obviously, the most important thing is that balls are replaced as close to their original position as possible, so that the player is facing the same situation as before they were moved. Personally, I find the aping of The Golden Shot, "up a bit, down a bit, left a bit....." embarrassing.

@LGA Has World Snooker talked to you about using this system?

-
                    Yes.
                    Sorry I can't discuss who I have talked to but we are in talks for use in the near future on the pro circuit.

Comment

Originally Posted by LGA Softworks View Post

Yes.
                      Sorry I can't discuss who I have talked to but we are in talks for use in the near future on the pro circuit.
                      That's great to hear, thanks. Please keep us posted if and when you can.

-
                      The slow and labourious,

Comment

That's great to hear, thanks. Please keep us posted if and when you can.

-
                        I will try to keep people on this forum up to date on the negotiations. It may take a while, but I am confident that it will come to be.

In the mean time, if there are players or club owners on this forum who think this could help their snooker club, please send our website link to them and ask them to contact us from our site. As we are just launching this, we could use some assistance getting the word out there.

Comment

I did laugh just the other day as the ref was trying to position the ball and the viewer said "more forward" the ref moved it and the viewer said ...the other way...the ref then said "oh the other forward"

Comment

Working...
                          X