Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wire wool... Where'd you get yours from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant the other way around. You would thin the post to fit a thick walled one on. Only if you could only source thin and had a thin post would you have to shorten the cue.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
      I meant the other way around. You would thin the post to fit a thick walled one on. Only if you could only source thin and had a thin post would you have to shorten the cue.
      No, not always. It depends on the diameter of the ferrule, doesn't it?

Maybe not, thinking about it! I'm distracted because wife and kids've just come home and the TV's on, so I've got French coming at me from all directions and I can't think clearly!! No, you're right, if you have thin and thin you'd have to shorten the cue.
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Unless a "larger" (Diameter) thin-walled ferrule is available?

Or am I now just stirring things?

Comment

No, and no, it wouldn't work. Think about it!!
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Bah-humbug

Comment

I like scotch brite but i only use grey or maroon if really neccessary, I finished my sons new old cue with a maroon one before using the linseed oil on it and it came out superb.
              I believe craftsman sell a 'cue slicker pad' thingy and that is like a scotch brite material in it.

Comment

I have replaced hundreds of ferrules and very, very rarely do you have to shorten the cue unless it is asked for.

Willie Smith states in his book what an important advancement the ferrule was for this very reason as in the days before ferrules when cleaning the top of the cue to fit a new tip you were removing a tiny bit of the wood and cues got shorter much more quickly for players who changed their tip regularly.

Comment

I think we have our wires crossed here. What i was saying was that wire wool, however fine is still an abrasive! as opposed to using a beermat and a bit of good old spit! Maybe i should have given the specific reason for the necessity to replace a ferrule. So here we go! A less than careful person who chooses to polish a ferrule with wire wool for some considerable time, will indeed also catch the area beneath it, wearing away the wood shaft leaving a slight under lip. ive seen it many times before because when you look at their cue it looks like their ferrule is hanging on by a thread. This when coupled with the fact that the tip area will in time become affected would make it impossible for a simple ferrule change without chopping some off! As the cue itself is now considerably thinner in diameter! :snooker: :snooker:
                  Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                  https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Working...
                  X