Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tip?

Hi Folks,

Ok I never really tinker with my tips I always use Elkmaster but as this is a global forum and as such the only real opportunity I have had to ask a wide audience here goes.

I prefer to use the softest tip I can get my hands on but it must generally be consistent, I am not concerned with how long it will last 1 week to 6 weeks is fine

What do you suggest other than Elkmaster of course.

The reason I like a soft tip is I like to play touch shots with maximum control and achieve maximum work from the ball with the least possible power.

The reason for that is the less power the less error on the shot.

Cheers!.
    All smelling pistakes (c) my keyboard, I can spell but it can't type

Buffalo Diamond + tips are a little bit firmer, but hugely more consistent. You can just buy a box and take out and fit any one, they're that good. However, if you're prepared to buy a box of Elks and select the ones you like and sell the others, then that's still a good bet.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

The latter is sort of what I do.... try them, if I like them keep them, if I don't bin them....

hmmm anybody want to buy the binned ones? thought not!

I was hoping that someone had knowledge of something softer and more consistent than Elkmaster.... I would settle for as soft as and more consistant though, but firmer...hmmm no thanks.

I get about 5/8 out of a box of 50... good job they are reasonably priced!.

Comment

Diamond +'s are only a little firmer than Elks - if you're looking for softer than Elks then I don't know ... what about Blue Velvets? Have you tried them? I tried one years ago and it was quite similar to an Elk (if I remember correctly!); can you get your hands on any to try them?
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by bkpaul View Post
          I was hoping that someone had knowledge of something softer and more consistent than Elkmaster....
          Have just the thing for you right here Lad...

=o)

Noel

PS... for a more "grownup taste" try my faves... Mike Wooldridge Supertips!
          Last edited by noel; 22 March 2010, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Those jelly tots look just the jobbie unfortunately they would never get on my cue as there just too damn moreish!... ask my kids I nick all theirs

Ill check out the other tips though... cheers

Comment

Mike's supertips are good, however, I've tried both and Diamond +'s are softer than the Supertips, and cheaper, too. (Scottish argument!)

Comment

soft tips are for pussies anyway
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Have to agree with Mike on that one but add 'and billiards players too'. (and by that I mean the often called 'English Billiards' with either white, yellow, red or else white, dotted white and red)

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Meow! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                      Buffalo Diamond + tips are a little bit firmer, but hugely more consistent. You can just buy a box and take out and fit any one, they're that good. However, if you're prepared to buy a box of Elks and select the ones you like and sell the others, then that's still a good bet.
                      Agree I know a few young players here (national team runner ups) using Elkmaster. But they only picked the best ones from the box and sell the rest at cheaper cost. BD+ is also a consistent one.
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Hi Folks,

Ok I never really tinker with my tips I always use Elkmaster but as this is a global forum and as such the only real opportunity I have had to ask a wide audience here goes.

I prefer to use the softest tip I can get my hands on but it must generally be consistent, I am not concerned with how long it will last 1 week to 6 weeks is fine

What do you suggest other than Elkmaster of course.

The reason I like a soft tip is I like to play touch shots with maximum control and achieve maximum work from the ball with the least possible power.

The reason for that is the less power the less error on the shot.

Cheers!.

From my experience One player liked the 'soft' tip of Elkmaster, but he felt that it's a bit too soft. So, with cuemaker advice, he dipped the Elk tip in a lacquer, and left to dry. Then, he sandpapered the surface a bit, put on his cue, and go out for 8 blacks in the first game. He swore by this method ever since
                        It's in the Shaft

Comment

Unfortunately I prefer softer and what the laquer would do is make the tip a fair bit firmer but may well imporve its consistency.

You would be amazed at how much extra control you get with an ultra soft tip!, some shots just aren't possible with a firmer one, the softness of the tip creates extra grip at the point of contact.

Each to their own though!.

Comment

Unfortunately I prefer softer and what the laquer would do is make the tip a fair bit firmer but may well imporve its consistency.

You would be amazed at how much extra control you get with an ultra soft tip!, some shots just aren't possible with a firmer one, the softness of the tip creates extra grip at the point of contact.

Each to their own though!.
                            Yes, the soft tip is good when you need more delicate shots. The lacquer will keep the tip more consistent over a period of times. For me, I like to change tips often, no matter it be Omin ('cause i get it quite cheap ), Buffalo, or Blue Diamond, etc. .
                            It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                              soft tips are for pussies anyway
                              Funny that, Mike, as most pussies I know prefer a hard tip ...

However, if that's your experience ...

Comment

Working...
                              X