The tip thread!!:D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tip thread!!:D

Ok, I think it's high time SOMEONE (turned out to be ME!!) started a thread on tips, where (hopefully) in time to come all questions will be answered in one single thread!! I'm hoping this will be an "all you need to know about tips!" thread in time!!

Ok, so here goes- 1st question (drumroll)......

This may be kind of dumb, but does the hardness of the tip have a major bearing on cue power??

I ask this because I feel that the elk master tips that I've been using (while giving enough control) tends to limit the cue power. When I say this, I mean that the top spin and screw shots feels limited because the tip is soft, and I can't get ENOUGH spin to go as far as I feel the stroke should merit. Which is why I'm wondering whether so many pro.s use hard tips. Any comments??

well I also use the elkmaster tips and I do have a feel that the softer the tip is the less cue power you have...

I mean for break cue in pool everyone is using rock hard tip for more power...
    You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
    BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

I'm getting rid of my Elk Master tip. I bought a Moori III soft the other day and will probably have it on in a month or so. I actually picked up the Moori Soft (which is still relatively hard) recommendation from an older thread on this forum.

Comment

What size tip would you say is best? im getting a new tip tomorrow and have no idea what size to have

Comment

The size of your ferrule governs tip size unless you want a mushroom tip of course. So if your ferrule is 9.5mm get a 9.5mm tip or a 10mm tip and trim it down, see the guides on how to do it.
          #jeSuisByrom

Comment

okay, thanks man

Comment

Agreed- the size is governed by the ferrule. One point though- its best that you get a tip atleast 0.5mm larger than your ferrule, because that way you can trim it down. Because if not, it's very tricky to tip it correctly if the tip is the same size as the ferrule, which might lead to it being slightly off. Also imho,0.5 is just right for a mushroom as well! Hope this helps!:-D

Comment

Agreed- the size is governed by the ferrule. One point though- its best that you get a tip atleast 0.5mm larger than your ferrule, because that way you can trim it down. Because if not, it's very tricky to tip it correctly if the tip is the same size as the ferrule, which might lead to it being slightly off. Also imho,0.5 is just right for a mushroom as well! Hope this helps!:-D

Comment

Originally Posted by Dragonsye View Post
                  Ok, I think it's high time SOMEONE (turned out to be ME!!) started a thread on tips, where (hopefully) in time to come all questions will be answered in one single thread!! I'm hoping this will be an "all you need to know about tips!" thread in time!!

Ok, so here goes- 1st question (drumroll)......

This may be kind of dumb, but does the hardness of the tip have a major bearing on cue power??

I ask this because I feel that the elk master tips that I've been using (while giving enough control) tends to limit the cue power. When I say this, I mean that the top spin and screw shots feels limited because the tip is soft, and I can't get ENOUGH spin to go as far as I feel the stroke should merit. Which is why I'm wondering whether so many pro.s use hard tips. Any comments??
                  Personally, I like an elkmaster, but I play UK 8 ball pool, so limited cue power is not an issue. However, if you feel you're not getting enough response with an elk, you should have a look at these: http://www.greenbaize.com/forum/foru...pid=86#post_86 I know a lot of people have tried them, and found them to be great. At the moment, Stu's offering free international shipping on them too!
                  Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thanks for that mate! I have infact contacted stu already, and I'm trying to work out the payment at the moment! The only thing is I'm thinking of getting a talisman, and I'm wondering whether to go for a medium instead of a soft. Thats the dilemma, because a talisman is quite costly from my 'earning standard', so want to make the best choice. I think I need a tip which I can more power from, so I'm thinking of going for a medium.

Comment

i have used both the talisman an the granite, play the granite in for an hour before forming an opinion. good quality tip at an affordable price.

Comment

Just to go back to the original post, does anyone else think that a lack of power would be more likely to come from a technical issue, ie cueing, than from the type of tip used? As I said before, I play UK 8 ball pool, and haven't played snooker for years, but for me the tip doesn't "give" me any cue power, just a 'feel' I either like or don't, and any over- or under-hitting is more because of my technique than the tip. Any opinions?
                        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                          Just to go back to the original post, does anyone else think that a lack of power would be more likely to come from a technical issue, ie cueing, than from the type of tip used? As I said before, I play UK 8 ball pool, and haven't played snooker for years, but for me the tip doesn't "give" me any cue power, just a 'feel' I either like or don't, and any over- or under-hitting is more because of my technique than the tip. Any opinions?
                          I agree, I think the power doesn't come from the tip. If you do lose power it's a very small amount. The feel of a soft tip is completely different to a harder one. That feel is a personal thing, I like a tip to be fairly soft, I usually use blue diamond tips but will give Elk masters a go when I re-tip
                          Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Well, I am not sure what it is, but I do feel that I get a bit more cue power or a firmer hit at least with a harder tip.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Maybe what we should do is try Terry's power test with a soft tip and a harder tip, and see if there's really any difference in force generated between them. (You know, place the cue ball in baulk and then whack it as hard as you can - it should go up and down the table about 5 - 5.5 times, if I remember correctly.) This might be the only way to resolve the issue ...

It's difficult to really differentiate between cue power and a firmer tip, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X