Which glue to use for Re Tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
    poolqjunkie, never mind having still using Tweetens contact glue, they will be going back to the old method of using the tiny wafers of glue and sticking it in hot water, then on to the tip and leaving over night to set with a tip clamp on to hold in place ........ what a farce that was.
    Then sometimes the tip would drop off with the first shot.!

Those were the days ....... lol.
    :snooker:
    You should be proud that you have tried to do tips in the most traditional fashion.
    Is that what that wooden tip clamp was made for?
    With super glue and what not most people today dont really need anything to hold the tip in place I think, is that right...
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 26 January 2011, 09:07 AM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

That is how it was done when I first started to play, poolqjunkie. They did not have superglues and lots of other glues in those days. They were small, thin wafers of some type of glue (brown in colour), probably similar to the old wood glues and around maybe 11mm in size.

Comment

glue

ive just used my last 1 up on 1 of my old cues if anybody as any let me know thanks jim

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
          That is how it was done when I first started to play, poolqjunkie. They did not have superglues and lots of other glues in those days. They were small, thin wafers of some type of glue (brown in colour), probably similar to the old wood glues and around maybe 11mm in size.
          I have seen them, but they were being sold as antique so I did not actually have the chance to use them on a tip.
          They were dark brown and round. You are supposed to soak them in water then use them, right? Do they come in any other colour? I have only seen them once, and I am not even sure, to tell you the truth, whether the ones I saw were expired or not. They felt kind of like dried epoxy, kind of rubbery.
          I know some people still swear they hit better than any other glue.
          After the wafer dries, a layer can be seen between the tip and the ferrule, is that right?
          I have some thin pad that I used to put between the tip and the ferrule on my pool cues. They kind of look like the black pad on the bottom of the MW laminated tips. But they are not the same thing as the real wafer.
          I always want to try the hit of a tip with a wafer, it is one of those snooker cue related things I really wish to try that I have not.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

When i started playing like Acrowot said thats all we used to use . You had to put them in hot water for for a few minutes until they went like jelly . Good old days eh

Comment

I do not think they played any better than with superglue. Never actually put them on myself. The man that ran the snooker club did that for everyone. Then when modern glues came, I started to put my own tips on.

Comment

Hi Jim,

I will have a look for you as I had a few of them somewhere.

Comment

I've done hundreds of tips. Nearly always with the loctite superglue in a grey and as has been said, perfect everytime. My last tip I put on with Bison superglue in the black and yellow tube. It worked a treat, no problems with it. However, i left it too long and it went off and the whole tube seized up. So I switched to the Bison Superglue Gel, in a white and light blue tube. It doesn't hold and is ****e! I'm off to a DIY store tonight to get something to replace it! Will read the info in this thread again!
                  Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

"Pattex Ultra Gel" is my favorite. Never had any problems with it, and it is easy to cut off your used tip also.
                    mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Originally Posted by Raldon View Post
                      "Pattex Ultra Gel" is my favorite. Never had any problems with it, and it is easy to cut off your used tip also.
                      Yeah! I use pattex too, many ppl are uses it here.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueinhand View Post
                        Yeah! I use pattex too, many ppl are uses it here.
                        Pattex is indeed very well known in Asia. It is because they started the business in Asia approx 40 years ago.
                        A local cuemaker in my town is in correspondence with them for many years. So they got the best feedback at first hand.
                        Last edited by Raldon; 28 January 2011, 12:25 PM.
                        mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Originally Posted by Raldon View Post
                          Pattex is indeed very well known in Asia. It is because they started the business in Asia approx 40 years ago.
                          A local cuemaker in my town is in correspondence with them for many years. So they got the best feedback at first hand.
                          yeah !
                          you're right!

Comment

Working...
                          X