Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaping the tip

Quick question:

What type of sandpaper/abrasives do people on here use for shaping the tip?

The stuff I've had recently is around P250 which is probably about as coarse as I'd like to go, but should I be using something a bit finer?

Cheers,

Tom

With sandpaper there is a danger of leaving small bits of glass in the tip which will wear it quicker but also damage the cueball.

Use metal files of different coarseness and then finally one of those metal fingernail files you can pick up at any pharmacy

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I always used to use abrasive paper, but have been using a metal file the last few months. The metal file gives a much tidier result around the top edge of the tip and doesn't upset the fibers in the tip if you're using an elkmaster for example.

Comment

As stated before, use various level of grade of metal files, never sand(glass) paper, for the initial shaping of a new tip.
        I use Elk tips (have been reading with interest about the new laminate tips - especially Aurora) and get good results for mine and friend's new tips.
        I always stroke the file down the tip - towards the shaft - with a gentle curving action and sometimes rotating (twisting) the shaft at the same time so you do not get a flat spot.
        Never file upwards this may lift the tip off the shaft.
        Patience is paramount, you can never put the leather back on, once filed off :-D
        Once a tip is bedded in, sometimes you get a tiny piece of tip sticking out, for these I use a piece of cardboard - beer-mat is pefect. This removes the offending piece without taking any extra off.
        All the best
        DeanH
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys - will get myself to the DIY shop and pick up a couple of files!

Comment

Working...
          X