No announcement yet.

Pictures of your tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've given it a go but it's not really made the sides of the tip shiny. Clean, but not polished. I used spit and my leather wallet because i left the burnishing tool i got off you at work.

Here's another potato quality image.

Comment

• Ah. Ignore that. I went at it with some wire wool, then burnished it again and it's come up shining much better.

Comment

• Is this good to put Medical SIlk tape around few inches of shaft and ferrule while Re tipping to avoid any damage or scratches on shaft and ferule?

Comment

• I used electrical tape. I think anything that won't leave adhesive behind will be fine.

Comment

• Fairly proud of my first attempt at putting a new tip on. I did make a slight mistake by getting 10mm tips for a 9.5mm ferrule, giving not quite enough overhang to trim easily, but it turned out OK in the end.

Imgur link:

http://i.imgur.com/7XUfC1c.jpg

Comment

• 10mm tip on a 9.5mm ferrule is the usual, you will get the hang of it the more you do, then cut flush
              looks pretty good
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by JohnASmith97 View Post
                Fairly proud of my first attempt at putting a new tip on. I did make a slight mistake by getting 10mm tips for a 9.5mm ferrule, giving not quite enough overhang to trim easily, but it turned out OK in the end.

Imgur link:

http://i.imgur.com/7XUfC1c.jpg
                Turn the cue on its head, push down on the tip in a carving block so as not to put any pressure on the glue joint and trim the excess with a stanley craft knife. Then file away. Nice job.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  10mm tip on a 9.5mm ferrule is the usual, you will get the hang of it the more you do, then cut flush
                  looks pretty good
                  Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  Turn the cue on its head, push down on the tip in a carving block so as not to put any pressure on the glue joint and trim the excess with a stanley craft knife. Then file away. Nice job.
                  Sorry, I wasn't all that clear with how I wrote that, I meant that the overhang was a little bit small, and the tip was a hair from dead centre, so one side was close enough to flush to make getting enough purchase was tricky. This only meant that there was a little of the original surface left before a violent/careful attack with a file. I guess the only result of this is aesthetic, and even then only I would notice. But I would notice.

Comment

• I think we understood you
                    Get the tip as centred as possible with the little overhang all round the ferrule, then trim this down once glue set.
                    If you flush a part of the tip with the ferrule to dome of the tip wont be centred.
                    It is tricky but you will get the hang of it after the first 100 or so tips :wink:

If you leave the overhang of the tip (being centred) then that is what some people like and often called a mushroom tip and saves on the trimming and sanding down

Comment

• I think my mistake was putting masking tape on the ferrule to protect it from the glue, and two layers of tape on one side made enough of a difference to move the tip a fraction off centre. I'm looking forward to doing it again now

Comment

• I was going to mention masking tape, many do use it to protect the ferrule and the shaft; but it is amazing just how thick it is and can affect the fitting of the tip.
                        I tend not to have masking tape on until after the fitting of the tip, so you can see the evenness of overhang; as you get better you should not get any glue down the ferrule
                        Then add masking tape for the trimming and sanding if you wish

Comment

• I guess if a little glue gets on the ferrule it can be removed by 0000 wire wool as well as making it look nice and shiny

Comment

I think my mistake was putting masking tape on the ferrule to protect it from the glue, and two layers of tape on one side made enough of a difference to move the tip a fraction off centre. I'm looking forward to doing it again now
                            What did you use to clean up the ferrule ?
                            Nice job. The ferrule looks very good and clean.

Comment

• 0000 (the finest grade) Steel wool, specifically this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It takes very little effort either, was surprisingly effective actually.

Comment

0000 (the finest grade) Steel wool, specifically this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It takes very little effort either, was surprisingly effective actually.
                                Yeah i use the same . The problem is once the job is done , very thin scratches are still visible on the ferrule . which is why i was surprised when i saw yours.
                                I gusse has sumthing to do with amount of pressure you put on it.
                                You've done it very well my friend . the ferrule is clean and i can'nt see those small scratches . Nice job.

Comment

Working...
                                X