Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way of cleaning Aramith balls??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way of cleaning Aramith balls??

Could anyone please tell me the best way to clean Aramith balls?
    I have seen that Aramith ball cleaner/polish, but is it any better than just washing them with soap and water? Thanks.

I soak the balls in a bucket of hot (not boiling) water for about 10 mins which I find seems to loosen any tough dirt. Then I use my polisher, which I made from a small plastic painters bucket, with foam in the base and sides, along with a car polisher with a very soft buffing pad. I put the Aramith polish onto both the base foam and the polisher mop and give 5 balls a 30 second buff at a time. Then leave them to haze for a few minutes, then buff them to a perfect shine with a lint free cloth. They come up like brand new and play brilliantly with little to no kicks. The balls also retain the heat from the soaking for a while, which i also find helps them play better.

Always keep a lint free cloth on hand to polish the balls after use. The silicone in the chalk can damage the cloth of the table, so keeping the balls clean will also help maintain the life of your cloth.

Also, I have found that if you are splitting into the pack, a clean set of balls will open easier with less force.

On a hygiene note, it is always good to keep your balls clean

Comment

Take my balls in the shower every day, but never polish them, just dry them with a bath towel.
      Does that answer your question?
      :snooker:

Comment

jarcher I think you're also supposed to check them for lumps!

Comment

Hilarious

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek
            jarcher I think you're also supposed to check them for lumps!
            I do that when giving them a good hand buffing. No imperfections when I'm finished lmfao

Comment

I use methylated spirits then rub dry with a clean tea towel:snooker:

Comment

I use the aramith ball polish and its good stuff. Personally I think the balls come up like new and have a coating that seems to make the balls slide on the baize. I think using water or soap is washing off the protective film on the balls, the polish puts it back on.

Comment

Woooooo, they have a protective coat on them!
                  :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
                    I use methylated spirits then rub dry with a clean tea towel:snooker:
                    I bet that stings a bit

Comment

Originally Posted by purist View Post
                      I bet that stings a bit
                      If you visit him take your own cup.

Comment

Does the soaking in water work all types of balls?

What about english pool balls?

Comment

Originally Posted by jaffa.johnson
                          Does the soaking in water work all types of balls?

What about english pool balls?
                          I would say yes, though best done just before you're going to use them so they retain the heat.

Comment

I put mine in the dishwasher my set is over 6 years old they play great but look sh#t no grease shows up the scratches.

Comment

Originally Posted by jhr145
                              I put mine in the dishwasher my set is over 6 years old they play great but look sh#t no grease shows up the scratches.
                              I would be careful doing it this way as if the water is too hot, it can, and has been known to, warp the balls.

In a bucket of hottish water, as soon as a cold set of balls goes in, the temperature immediately drops to being close to luke warm. This keeps the balls hotter than room temperature, but not hot enough to do damage.

I heard about one guy who put a brand new set of tournament champion balls into the dishwasher and they went out of shape so just be careful.

I would also say that you really need to polish them too. Just hot water and a dry should leave them clean, but you can have a squeaky clean surface that's not silky smooth and can cause friction and therefore, kicks. Hence the aramith polish.

Take a car for example. You wash it thoroughly and it is spotless, yet the rain lands on it and all clumps together, yet after a polish, the rain sits in fine beads of water droplets. This is caused by the polish creating that silky smooth surface which allows for the water to separate.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                              X