GCSE Design Technology Snooker Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCSE Design Technology Snooker Case?

Hey I think I am going to make a Snooker Cue Case for my D.T GCSE, do you think I will be able to make a quality case in maybe 1 or 1 1/2 years? Bearing in mind it is going to be made from wood and it will be for a 3/4 cue so it will have to be quite large.
    Also how would you advise I do the interior, for cue protection?
    Thanks guys,
    Any help will be greatly appreciated and needed because I only have a few days to decide!!!
    Dan

Should be easy enough to do in a year or so. You'll need foam and padding for the interior, possibly a leather or leather like material to cover it. You're only limited by your imagination. Look at some pics on here and get ideas and go from there.
    If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

See the thread:
      http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...our-Cue-Case**
      you should get a few ideas from there, there are a few that are wood external as well.
      Also if you google snooker cue case you will hit a huge number as you have probably have found out
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I made one with my son,in a similar situation,recently.Two pieces of timber 125cm long x 94mm wide x 25mm depth ( P.S.E).I marked out the timber internal faces for shaft,butt,short extention and chalk.He took it to school and following my advice used a morticing machine in his dinner hour ( a router would be better,if you have access to one).If you keep it simple you just need one long narrow "channel" the same width as the diameter of your cue shaft at the joint (widest part)and two smaller "channels" the same width as the widest part of your butt or extension ( both internal faces must mirror each other,most important ) if you seperate the two smaller channels ,by leaving timber dividers,the chalk sits in the middle.Go to a fabric shop and buy some green baize for your lining.Three "butterfly hinges" from an ironmonger and two "square case catches" et voila.This is a very simple way to make a case and when stained and varnished ( we stained it in "light oak") it looks OK. Hope this helps.
        Last edited by old school; 13 September 2011, 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling.....again !!!!

Comment

I made a snooker case for my GCSE. i made dovetail joints to join the sides together a nd the design on the top of the case is a snooker table layout. I will try to get some pics up for you when i get a chance.

Comment

If you wish for foam interior instead of rigid channels, CueCraft sell foam sets for their aluminium cases,
            see www.cuecraft.com and search for "Foam set", they tell you which cases each is for and you will be able to tell the size of these.
            [also note that www.fcsnooker.co.uk have better dimensions listed for the Cuecraft cases and images of the interiors]

Comment

OK thanks a lot for the advise! i think i will use the foam padding from cuecraft for the inside. Do I need to cover the case with leather? Or will wood be fine?

Comment

As you have probable seen, leather covered cases are the "in thing" but if you have trawlled through the Cases Pictures thread you will come across some wooden cases, also there is these two http://www.bandwbilliards.com/case_wooden.php
                Foam sets - personally I do not like these, I prefer the rigid compartments that usually is within a leather covered cases, but I brought your attention to the sets that CueCraft sell as a "easy" possiblity for you

Comment

Is the cue not likely to get damaged in rigid compartments? Doesnt the cue slide to either end as you tip the case? I'd prefer a leather case but it depends on the amount of time I have. (I guess i wouldn't have to do all the polishing and sanding if leather covered it ;D)

Comment

"rigid compartment" probably wrong terminology, what I mean is defined compartments instead of just a "groove" in foam (some case don't even have a groove!)
                    see my case in the following posting
                    http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...903#post570903
                    The compartment divide is covered in soft suede, and as the compartment is perfectly tapered the cue does not rattle around.
                    Best of luck with your project.

Comment

ok the 'soft suede' looks good i might use it. And thanks a lot, ill give updates.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                        I made one with my son,in a similar situation,recently.Two pieces of timber 125cm long x 94mm wide x 25mm depth ( P.S.E).I marked out the timber internal faces for shaft,butt,short extention and chalk.He took it to school and following my advice used a morticing machine in his dinner hour ( a router would be better,if you have access to one).If you keep it simple you just need one long narrow "channel" the same width as the diameter of your cue shaft at the joint (widest part)and two smaller "channels" the same width as the widest part of your butt or extension ( both internal faces must mirror each other,most important ) if you seperate the two smaller channels ,by leaving timber dividers,the chalk sits in the middle.Go to a fabric shop and buy some green baize for your lining.Three "butterfly hinges" from an ironmonger and two "square case catches" et voila.This is a very simple way to make a case and when stained and varnished ( we stained it in "light oak") it looks OK. Hope this helps.
                        Thanks for the advise! I'll use it!

Comment

If you PM me an e-mail address I will send you some j.pegs of a case that I had in solid mahogany,which was built to house a Barracuda Professional that I owned.The j.pegs show ,better than I can explain,what the design could look like.

Comment

E-mail & j.pegs sent.Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
                            X