struggling with a kamui medium tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• struggling with a kamui medium tip

i have been using this tip for a few months now and am struggling with the feel of it, but the main problem is that i am really struggling with screw back shots, for example if im straight on the black i can screw back to about the cushion when im trying to screw a fair bit more than this, should i change to a softer tip, and can anyone recommend a good make

thanks

Do you normally have difficulty with this shot . I,ve used this tip and find it responsive so i dont think the tip is the problem , it may be more to do with you,re technique . I,ve tried most tips on the market and whichever you use , if you hit the ball correct then you will get the desired backspin on the white .

Comment

Hi phidavi7... it does sound like a technique issue if you are having trouble screwing back to the cushion from a straight black, i.e. assuming the cue ball is away from the cushion... I struggle to bring the cue ball back when bridging over the rail.

Likewise, I struggle with Kamui tips (black or tan)... especially can't get used to that bouncy effect off the black tips... I like the tan ones better but still.

If you prefer softer tips, I find that the Baron tips I got from ADR147 are quite responsive, although they tend to lose shape especially after playing a few power shots in succession... probably have to tap it down more to make it compact. Mike's Supertips are quite good after I file and tap them down to almost half their original thickness.

General idea is to play around with different tips, I'm sure you'll find one to your liking...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Did you just switch to laminated tip? They do take time to get used to. However, I agree with hotpot. It seems like it is because of your cue action.

For recommendation,

If you like laminated tip, i would recommend Aurora tip. its responsive, holds chalk well...some say its too soft but i trim it down till there is 2 layers on the rim and 2 layers for the dome shape = Perfect!

As for pressed tip, I liked MW super tip a lot as most people do...a must try if you play lots of screw back..I mean if you cue through the cue ball right, the amount of backspin is just unbelievable.

Pro Granite is worth a try too..tried one when I ordered my GBL cue. It was great but I liked the Aurora tip more so I cut it off but will try another one after the current Aurora tip wore off.

Comment

I put a kamui tip on recently and it played really well but it doesn't hold the chalk that well leading to miss cuing. This tends to leave a bit of the tip on the white in the form of a black mark. After several miss cue's the tip eventually tore( which I thought wasn't supposed to happen on a laminated tip. I have now gone back to elks and will never ever change my tip again.

Comment

yeh i also find the kamui tip doesn't hold the chalk well at all, the tip just feels well to firm, i cant see how its a medium, i have only just started to play snooker, as i play pool mainly, and fancied a change, on my pool cue i have a blue diamond and can get 2 and a half table lengths of screw back, and generally have a good cue action, but i understand it could need tweaking, its just annoying me that these screw shots keep letting me down when im in good positions

Comment

You should try a Talisman 11mm soft which are designed for snooker, they grip the ball really well and hold more chalk than any other tip ive tried. If you miss-cue with a Talisman soft or struggle to screw the white back then trust me its down to your cueing action, these tips really help your game and give you confidence.

ADR (Andrew) sells them, ive bought a few off him both for myself and a couple of mates and they are excellent tips.
              sigpic

Comment

Try Master green or tan colour chalk. These cover the laminated tips really well. Much prefer this to Triangle green now.

Originally Posted by phidavi7 View Post
                yeh i also find the kamui tip doesn't hold the chalk well at all, the tip just feels well to firm, i cant see how its a medium, i have only just started to play snooker, as i play pool mainly, and fancied a change, on my pool cue i have a blue diamond and can get 2 and a half table lengths of screw back, and generally have a good cue action, but i understand it could need tweaking, its just annoying me that these screw shots keep letting me down when im in good positions

Comment

Originally Posted by gem View Post
                  Try Master green or tan colour chalk. These cover the laminated tips really well. Much prefer this to Triangle green now.
                  There is nothing wrong with a Kamui holding Triangle chalks. I've been using them for a couple of months now, and miscued twice despite playing most days.

It sounds like the above are possibly fakes (apparantly, there are a lot out there) which explains the ripping. I put one on my cue, made a boo boo when shaping it, so put another on and its brilliant. If you put it on right and shape it well, you won't have any issue with it what so ever. Kamui's will be on my cues as long as they are made.

On a side note, I also put a Talisman soft on my dads cue, and one on my friends cue. Both have always used Elkmasters and Blue Diamond. It took about 2 weeks (playing once/twice a week) to get used to, but both now love them, and won't be changing back, so it may be worth trying them as well.
                  If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Kamui and Tally dont hold chalk anywhere as good as elks , b d etc , and it can be off putting as you think you,re going to miscue but actually the miscues are minimal .

Comment

Working...
                    X