Foam in metal case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam in metal case

As I am sure most of you have seen a metal snooker case and the foam inside usually has 2-3 slots to hold the cue and extension and what not.
    But with leather cases some of them do not have the partitions and the bottom is just lining wrapped around a flat cushioned surface.
    Has any metal case ever been made with no slot but just two thick foams--one on the lid and one on the bottom?
    If a leather case can be made that way, why are metal case only made with slots on the bottom?
    Thsi is what I am thinking: if you have two thick foam cushions in a metal case without any slot, say, a .25" foam on top, and a 1" foam on the bottom, you can place your gears in many different configurations and you are not restricted by the layout of the foam slots. You may even be able to put little things in between your cue and extension (e.g. accurest or magnetic chalk holder or things like that). Since foam has memory if you keep putting the same thing at the same place an indentation will form over time.
    If the foams are tight nothing will move inside the case once it is closed anyway. It should actually give a tighter fit than a piece of foam with two long slots.
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 27 October 2011, 10:43 AM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

I suppose the main reason must be something to do with the fact that if your cue isnt secured away from the metal of the case then it could do some damage to the cue?

Leather cases are soft enough all round to not cause damage if a cue is resting against the case, but metal doesnt.

The cue craft foam with two cue forms in it ensures that the cue never touches the metal.
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

If the foam is thick enough so it goes right up to the rim of the case, the cue will not move inside, and will not touch any metal.
      I have seen many gun cases and archery cases like that.
      This is more flexible in terms of what you can put inside the case and where to put them.
      Would you like a metal case with such an interior?
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 27 October 2011, 10:44 AM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I suppose 95% of snookerists only take there cue (noramlly mid joint two piece) and a piece of chalk and thats it. So a case like the above might be a bit overkill.

For the other 5% that might want to put extensions and bit of sandpaper perhaps the cue craft is perfect,hence why it is so popular i suppose. I can also fit my chalk puch in the cue craft case aswell. I keep all my tipping stuff in a plastic tub in the boot of my car so dont really need the extra space in the actual case to carry that too. What else is there?

Im sure somebody would buy like it and buy it but im not sure the extra space would appeal to most as space isnt tight as it is...

A guy came in the club last night had his cue in a plastic bin bag! A nice carbon example.
        Last edited by Deepscrew; 27 October 2011, 10:55 AM.
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

I was thinking of a case with the same size and dimensions as a regular cue case like a cue craft--only difference is the foam on the bottom. The foam on the bottom has not slots, and is much thicker which goes right up to the rim of the case.

The picture I showed was just to show that some cases are made without the slots but they are very tight and the content will not touch the metal part and is very well cushioned and protected. I am in no way asking if anyone wants to have a case like that for their cues.

The foam in the case shown is also tighter than what you normally see on a snooker cue case, and it offers better protection as the foams are thicker.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I am trying to get some metal cue cases made by a case manufactuer in the US. They make cases for medical equipment, electronic, computer, guns, ski, fishing rods...etc and they are very good--but they dont know anything about snooker cues. The only snooker cue they have seen is the graphite cue in pink with stickers of Pamela Anderson on the front with a screw on tip at Walmart.
            I am thinking of the interior and what would make the most sense.
            I think it would be nice to have a case that is really tight, with lots of distance between the cue and the edges of the case, and is the same size and weight as the existing metal case--but with more flexibility in terms of storage. So, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to use a foam interior like the picture shown, with no slots cut.
            Any input is appreciated.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I have a Peradon one piece case,plain aluminium,grey foam inserts,no cut outs for a cue.So yes a metal cue case has been made like this before.I have two Barracuda Match 3/4 cases in aluminium,the early one has no slots/cutouts,just a very shallow profile semi circular channel ( although this could have been made over time by the cues in the case) but the later one has more defined channels,but nothing like say Cue Craft cases.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                I am trying to get some metal cue cases made by a case manufactuer in the US. They make cases for medical equipment, electronic, computer, guns, ski, fishing rods...etc and they are very good--but they dont know anything about snooker cues. The only snooker cue they have seen is the graphite cue in pink with stickers of Pamela Anderson on the front with a screw on tip at Walmart.
                I am thinking of the interior and what would make the most sense.
                I think it would be nice to have a case that is really tight, with lots of distance between the cue and the edges of the case, and is the same size and weight as the existing metal case--but with more flexibility in terms of storage. So, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to use a foam interior like the picture shown, with no slots cut.
                Any input is appreciated.
                im tempted to re-foam my case as its getting a bit shot at, and was thinking of putting foam in without cut outs or moulding, and cutting to the exact size of the parts of cue and extensions myself..... or instead of mouldings just have slits in there to softly push and hold the cue in place.

Comment

Thanks Old School. Did not know that...is that some disadvantage of not having the slots cut out, in your opinion? Why did they change it?
                  Andy, I thought about that, too, about just making a cut so the cue will be pushed into the cut over time. I think with 3/4 cases if you dont have a slot you can put more stuff inside, is it not? You can even lay something flat between the shaft and the butt and may be able to say made a cut and sort of insert the chalk pouch into the foam standing up and things like that. With the slot you are limited to the shape and size and orientation of the objects you place in the case.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

way i would do it would be to leave a gap at the end big enough to hold a couple of blocks of chalk /my tip box (dont use a pouch ) then the foam with a cut in it to fully surround each bit of cue

Comment

I have sent some j.pegs to your Aurora e-mail address of the Peradon case,with cues in situ.In my opinion there is no disadvantage in having plain foam (no cut outs or semi circular profiles) as plain foam will take the shape ,over time, of the cue or cues that you regularly carry in that case.Plain foam is also easier to replace (as opposed to profiled foam) if the foam perishes over time.Plain foam holds cues very securely indeed so from my point of view,no problem.Please check your PM for further information.

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                        I have sent some j.pegs to your Aurora e-mail address of the Peradon case,with cues in situ.In my opinion there is no disadvantage in having plain foam (no cut outs or semi circular profiles) as plain foam will take the shape ,over time, of the cue or cues that you regularly carry in that case.Plain foam is also easier to replace (as opposed to profiled foam) if the foam perishes over time.Plain foam holds cues very securely indeed so from my point of view,no problem.Please check your PM for further information.
                        Thank you so much for all you valuable info and all your help.

What do you think about the difference between the dimpled foam and flat foam?

Do you folks prefer the dimpled foam over the flat foam or vice versa?
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Would love to see people's faces when you turn up with a gun case, shame you don't live this side of the water adr147 might have a little job for you!
                          No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Gun case might be useful,in some of the pubs I visit !!!

Comment

Is there anyone think about Carbon Fibre (not fibre glass) cases with EPS liner, which is designed to absorb the energies of a single impact inside of the case. Inside of the case coated with a suede micro fibre surface (replaceable). So, customer may wash or change it with different colour when they need to. Of course, it won't be cheap but, to protect the favourite cue is important coz any damage is not that easy to recover. Even you have money, doesn't mean you can find another one easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X