Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pool Baron Tips

Hey all,

Been using my pro granite tip for about 8 months now and fancy a change. Thinking of trying a MW supertip again but just won a Pool Baron medium 11mm tip.

Any experiences of Pool Baron - how they compare to other two?

Cheers

I have recently put a Pool Baron tip on my pool cue (8.2mm ferrule) as I wanted to try a softer tip.
    The tip is very soft and takes shaping very easily and so far I am liking it for my league matches.
    It has only been a matter of weeks so do not know what the lifespan of the tip will be but it is maintaining good shape so far.
    I don't know what tip was on the cue before but it was very hard hence the change.
    I have not tried ProGranite or MS Supertop (as far as I know) myself so cannot compare but I am sure giving your prize a go cannot hurt too much :-)
    If this one does not work out, I am thinking of trying a Phoenix as they seem to have a good reputation from some posts here.

:snooker:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks mate, what's the spin/control like?

Comment

On the pool table (UK World Eightball) I find I have very good control of the cueball with this tip.
        I also use this cue on the snooker table - for a quick practise before the pool league matchs start - and the control is still there with the snooker balls.
        As I mentioned it has only been a matter of weeks since putting the tip on, say about 10 hours play and all seems good with playability, control, and shape-holding. Even after a deep screw on the Yellow (snooker) and the cueball flew off the table there was no damage to the tip.
        :snooker:

Comment

I mainly play pool so sounds positive! Does it feel solid when striking the cue ball?

Comment

It does to me but without the "stone/rock" sound of the harder tips.

Comment

I've previously bought a couple of Pool Baron mediums off Andrew here for my snooker cue... Being a softer tip, the reaction and feel I get from them is very good indeed. As with Dean, I get good control using this tip. But also perhaps being rather soft, I find that they tend to lose their shape somewhat and I am rather fussy over tip shape.

Nevertheless, they are good tips and I prefer them over other non-layered/laminated tips.
              When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Hi damienlch, as I said I have only played with the tip for about 10hours, how long was it when you noticed any shape change?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  Hi damienlch, as I said I have only played with the tip for about 10hours, how long was it when you noticed any shape change?
                  Hello DeanH... I recalled playing a few hard screw shots immediately after installing and shaping the tip just to test it out... and it kind of flattened at the part which struck the cue ball... lol... I wish I'd taken a photo of that... maybe that particular tip happens to be a real softie, or it could be the Red Bull I was drinking.

Anyway, I later discovered that I need to be more patient and tap down the tip with the cue ball after installing it... that way, the tip will be more packed in and stays in shape longer. I'd consider it a rather soft tip, softer than an Elk but a more consistent feel. Elks can be rather inconsistent although a good one plays... well... good. Funnily enough, I like my Elks to be harder but I quite enjoy the feel of this softer Pool Baron tip.
                  When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

Good feedback here, always best to tap tips down when first put on - I usually use a hammer to 'play' them in!

Just ordered a bunch of different tips so unless anyone has anything bad to say about these I will give one a go?

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                      Good feedback here, always best to tap tips down when first put on - I usually use a hammer to 'play' them in!

Just ordered a bunch of different tips so unless anyone has anything bad to say about these I will give one a go?
                      There are so many different type of tips that are available nowadays and if you believe some of their online advertisements, you'd think they're going start potting balls for you... lol.

It all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day. Have fun experimenting...

Comment

I put a soft pool baron tip on my snooker cue on Friday night. Once i got to the shaping stage i noticed i could literally move the tip with my nail! So i decided to pull it and the top half came off like a marsh mallow...

I take it i just got a bad tip and they're not really that soft..? As i don't know whether to risk buying another or not..
                        Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I've been trying to get another pool baron tip for more than a year. Preferably, another laminated, but would try a standard tip. I can't find them anywhere.
                          Anyone know where they might be available, or who makes them?
                          I assume they are a different company to the newer red baron?

Comment

Working...
                          X