No announcement yet.

Kamui Chalk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original one feels like women's foundation and yes feels very quiet and soft. Not sure what the new version is like.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

i was in philapdelphia at the billiards expo on sunday and had a chat with the guys on the kamui stand.

i was told that each block of chalk takes 8 hours to make, and that they are made one at a time.

obviously, i told them i considered that story to be of the bullsh*t variety.

oddly enough they didn't seem phased (probably trained to deal with doubters), and one went on to tell me he had visited the factory and seen it himself.

he told me the factory is very small and that all the products are hand made by just a few people...

whilst having this conversation, i spent my time sticking my finger in the 'chalk'.

tbh, it seems ok, but certainly nothing special.

interestingly, they seemed to think it was a 'great' feature how the chalk is light blue at first, but if you rub it, it goes dark blue.

not sure why that would be 'so cool', but nevertheless, i admire the marketing of kamui products and shall see if i can make some light green chalk that goes dark green when you use it.
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark62 View Post
        Hi I've tried the chalk and yes it leaves a mark on the white initially, then it's ok until I chalk it again. Of course the white needs to be cleaned as soon as the marks appear. I've found it works and works well, but there is one major thing wrong with using it. I love to chalk the cue ! I can't help it, I just want the action of chalking between shots. Just to hear the noise as you chalk it gives you the confidence to play the shot as well, this noise doesn't happen with Kumui at all. That's why I'm not using it anymore, it works it's just not for me.
        Regards
        Mark
        lol. on the basis of what you said, it's not for anyone really is it :snooker:
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
          i was in philapdelphia at the billiards expo on sunday and had a chat with the guys on the kamui stand.

i was told that each block of chalk takes 8 hours to make, and that they are made one at a time.

oddly enough they didn't seem phased (probably trained to deal with doubters), and one went on to tell me he had visited the factory and seen it himself.

he told me the factory is very small and that all the products are hand made by just a few people...

whilst having this conversation, i spent my time sticking my finger in the 'chalk'.

tbh, it seems ok, but certainly nothing special.

interestingly, they seemed to think it was a 'great' feature how the chalk is light blue at first, but if you rub it, it goes dark blue.

not sure why that would be 'so cool', but nevertheless, i admire the marketing of kamui products and shall see if i can make some light green chalk that goes dark green when you use it.
          Can I have some that writes, "this chalk is for ******s" when you hit the cueball?
          One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Let me see if I understand what Kamui was actually saying.

I believe the minimum wage in Japan is about USD$7 for an hour.

They have only a few workers working in a very small factory making chalks by hand. They need 8 hours to finish 1 cube of chalk which they sell for about USD$30 retail and about USD$10-$15 wholesale.

The wage for 8 hours of work for a worker is about USD$56, not taking into account suppies, raw material, and other expenses. So, they were telling you they pay someone USD$56 to make one cube of chalk a day which they sell for only USD$10-$30 each?
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 14 March 2012, 11:11 AM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
              If you want to buy on ebay I would suggest try Joe Neilsen, joerackem is his store name.
              joe is a great guy and always helpful.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                Let me see if I understand what Kamui was actually saying.

I believe the minimum wage in Japan is about USD$7 for an hour.

They have only a few workers working in a very small factory making chalks by hand. They need 8 hours to finish 1 cube of chalk which they sell for about USD$30 retail and about USD$10-$15 wholesale.

The wage for 8 hours of work for a worker is about USD$56, not taking into account suppies, raw material, and other expenses. So, they were telling you they pay someone USD$56 to make one cube of chalk a day which they sell for only USD$10-$30 each?
                This begs the question why are they making it if all they get out of it is a big fat loss...??
                Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Kamui Chalk!

Exactly, why are they making it ?

Comment

The fact is kamui is giving out tones of these precious handmade chalks for free in exchange for positive reviews on the Internet and they are also sponsoring big name players who wear the Kamui patch on TV and in public.

The Kamui rep is also attending tradeshows and tournaments and cue maker shows all over the US and as we all know travelling like that costs money.

I like Kamui's product. I believe they are made to a very high standard. One of their Japanese marketing persons in their Japanese office used to study in Vancouver and was a personal friend.

I cannot figure out how they can make any kind of money, too...but they must have a way as they seem to be doing very well.

It must be the kamui magic. LOL
                    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 14 March 2012, 08:57 PM.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

lol. on the basis of what you said, it's not for anyone really is it :snooker:
                      I have just finished my 2nd 3 hour session using the the new Kamui 1.21 chalk and...............guys and girls...

It is F.....g Brilliant !!!!!!

Great noise Mike, you can hear it going on the tip,you can feel it going on the tip and the performance is superb.
                      My 1st block of 0.98 chalk lasted me for around 620 hours of play and practice time, so if his new block performs the same then I will be an accolyte for life.
                      I am taking my 9.8 to the club tomorrow to do a some A.B. comparisons.
                      " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

.. and shall see if i can make some light green chalk that goes dark green when you use it.
                        On that note, send me a PM. I have a chalk recipe that kicks ass. Let's sell it together for $29 a cube and create some b/s story that it takes 7 hours per chalk to make
                        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by sydneygeorge View Post
                          I have just finished my 2nd 3 hour session using the the new Kamui 1.21 chalk and...............guys and girls...

It is F.....g Brilliant !!!!!!

Great noise Mike, you can hear it going on the tip,you can feel it going on the tip and the performance is superb.
                          My 1st block of 0.98 chalk lasted me for around 620 hours of play and practice time, so if his new block performs the same then I will be an accolyte for life.
                          I am taking my 9.8 to the club tomorrow to do a some A.B. comparisons.
                          Chalk update.

After another 8 hours of play and practice I can honestly say that one is not clearly superior to the other,in my opinion that is.
                          The 9.8 is brilliant when practicing as it leaves virtually no residue on the table,great when you are practicing repeating drills like long blues and and cueing down the spots,I think anyone with a table at home will welcome this.
                          The grittier,more conventional feel of the 1.21 is also very appealing but in my back to back experiment it is not clearly superior to the 9.8.
                          If anything the 9.8 is slightly infront for me at this time,mind you after 600 + hours of using the 9.8 I am probably very used to it.
                          I would also like to say that I am in no way related to Mr & Mrs Kamui or any of their agents.
                          " Cues are like girlfriends,once they become an EX I don't want them hanging around ".

Comment

Working...
                          X