Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cue needs 're-tipping'

Hi everyone

I was practising today when my tip (which is about 4 months old) fractured. It almost fell off so I decided to pull it off myself.

Now I need to glue a new tip on, but I don't feel confident about doing it myself because I've tried in the past and it didn't work.

Does anybody know someone in (edit: Stratford or near abouts) who would take of my old tip and put a new one on.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Boris for PM!

Hello,

I've had a similar problem in that my tip became soaked in the rain - rubbish soft case. So I'm going to have mine re-tipped also.

Merry Xmas Everyone!

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker Rocks!
      Hi everyone

I was practising today when my tip (which is about 4 months old) fractured. It almost fell off so I decided to pull it off myself.

Now I need to glue a new tip on, but I don't feel confident about doing it myself because I've tried in the past and it didn't work.

Does anybody know someone in (edit: Stratford or near abouts) who would take of my old tip and put a new one on.

Any help would be much appreciated
      edit : just follow : http://handmadecues.com/web/retipping.htm

or you can read my terribly hideous one:
      the main reason why tips come off is due to uneven surfaces between contact points... and another reason could be the quality of the glue itself.

a quality superglue should take care of the 2nd reason.

to ensure even surfaces, make sure the bottom of the tip is flat. place the tip bottom onto a sandpaper and sand it in a circular manner. This help to prevent the tip's base from being slant.

the other contact surface, the top end of the cue, has to be flat as well. place the tip (after sanding the base) on to the ferrule, rotate the cue tip and the cue together... check for gaps.

assuming everything is flat, apply super glue and put them together. apply slight pressure to the tip to "squeeze" out the excess glue. leave them alone for 10 minutes or so.

Comment

Thank you for the response lbs, I've tried this before but sadly my tip starts wobbling after a day's play, and then just falls off.

What I did learn though, on reading your post, was to use superglue. I always used 'tip cement', and that might be why my tip came off.

Overall though, I would be much more comfortable getting someone else to do it :P, do you know anyone?
        Boris for PM!

Comment

After re-tipping I will only play shots where I hit the white in the centre as this won't expose a weakness in the tip seal and will help shape it. After a while I'll start to use spin. Before putting the tip on I make sure the tip bottom is smooth but I make a few cuts in to the cue surface with a stanley blade to rough it up a bit. Seems to work because the tip lasts until its worn out.

Before gluing its crucial to sand both surfaces so it will be a snug fit or it wont last 5 minutes.

I find Loctite superglue is the best. Its not cheap but its the strongest glue and ideal for tips. I never got on with tip cement. It pales in comparison.

Someone from your club should be able to re-tip for you such as a staff member but they will probably charge and might be useless at it anyway. Best bet is to approach a regular decent player or better yet an ex-pro from your club. If they can do a good job its worth a few pounds.
          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker Rocks!
            Thank you for the response lbs, I've tried this before but sadly my tip starts wobbling after a day's play, and then just falls off.

What I did learn though, on reading your post, was to use superglue. I always used 'tip cement', and that might be why my tip came off.

Overall though, I would be much more comfortable getting someone else to do it :P, do you know anyone?
            argh.. sadly no!
            I live many many miles away from you and that is an understatement!

Comment

OK, I've just played with my new tip. It plays great! Thanks for all the help
              Boris for PM!

Comment

e-mail me and i will send you a guide on how to do it! adr147@hotmail.com
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

tip on glues

I can not state much more on not using superglue on your cues its the wrost thing you can use. when you use superglue it doesn't just sit on there it soaks in to the top of your cue which is a extremly bad thing as later on in your cues life it can cause it to crack. i recommend on using either aradite quick setting or aradite 24hour for best results

Comment

Originally Posted by Steveo86
                    I can not state much more on not using superglue on your cues its the wrost thing you can use. when you use superglue it doesn't just sit on there it soaks in to the top of your cue which is a extremly bad thing as later on in your cues life it can cause it to crack. i recommend on using either aradite quick setting or aradite 24hour for best results
                    read my tipping guide m8 you can download it else where on this forum.

Comment

superglue gel on a burnished cue top will be fine unless you retip your cue fortnightly...works great

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                        superglue gel on a burnished cue top will be fine unless you retip your cue fortnightly...works great
                        indeed almost everyone uses gel superglue now.

Comment

I don't think using a fast bonding superglue is a bad thing and I suspect it wont cause any problems with the wood. It only requires a tiny amount of glue and In my experience it seeping in to the wood is of benefit and I encourage it by making small dents in the cue tip so the glue seeps in. This creates a solid bond between the cue and the tip which is after all the overall aim.
                          www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

No need to make any dents or pin holes in the tip or top of the shaft.

The flatter the both are the better.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
                              No need to make any dents or pin holes in the tip or top of the shaft.

The flatter the both are the better.
                              trev,

I have never seen a pro on tv with tip that are ridiculously thick, but is there a reason why those tips in boxes (blue diamond comes into mind) are so thick?

Is there an awful lot of sanding on the base of the tip to take away the thickness prior to putting a new one on?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X